AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not bother looking at the best LCD's, but for a plasma, the Kuros and the 6010 (only three on display) were so far superior to anything else. I am convinced that no other plasma will ever be anywhere near as good until they get their processing up to par. I don't know why there has ever been a comparison between the Kuro and anything "consumer" based (at least from 2007 sets). This was with the Kuros on "terrible" settings that I think some have seen and have noted as being "dimm" while the other "consumer" from Panasonic and Samsung was brighter.

As said by people already, it's all in the processor. Of course there's more to it, but that procesor is absolutely incredible.

I'm out of the Plasma market now. Was going to stick with the Samsung (find it to be better looking that this year's Panny offerings) as a cheap alternative to hold me over for the next 1/2 year or so while I watch prices decrease on the Kuro, but couldn't come to do it.

No wonder people love larger and larger Kuros...they just look so beautiful...

Just do not see any point owning anything out right now which is like a point and shoot camera ("consumer plasmas) compared to a Canon 1DSMKIII or Leica M8 (Pioneer Kuro/Elites)...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioexcels /forum/post/12872052

I did not bother looking at the best LCD's, but for a plasma, the Kuros and the 6010 (only three on display) were so far superior to anything else. I am convinced that no other plasma will ever be anywhere near as good until they get their processing up to par. I don't know why there has ever been a comparison between the Kuro and anything "consumer" based (at least from 2007 sets).

As said already, it's just about all in the processor. Of course there's more to it, but that procesor is absolutely incredible. I'm out of the Plasma market now. Was going to stick with the Samsung (find it to be better looking that this year's Panny offerings) as a cheap alternative to hold me over for the next 1/2 year or so while I watch prices decrease on the Kuro, but couldn't come to do it.

Just do not see any point owning anything out right now which is like a point and shoot camera compared to a Canon 1DSMKIII or Leica M8...

actually i think fuji has better processing in the aviamos but not as good glass. (those also cost a lot more). The canon mark III is a ridiculous camera FYI

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 761-honda /forum/post/12872136

The only bad or rather low review about the Kuros is from consumer reports. Too dim they say.

you cant trust CR... they have too much to do with price

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 761-honda /forum/post/12872136

The only bad or rather low review about the Kuros is from consumer reports. Too dim they say.

CR reports like Panasonic. Tells you about their judgement

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/12872247

CR reports like Panasonic. Tells you about their judgement

Samsung is the most transparent/3-D looking panel in the consumer level of panels in my opinion, but it is vastly inferior to the Pioneer. Sucks we have all these garbage panels (primarily Panasonic) out on the market that have to push the prices of the Pioneers up too high. I did watch a 50" 700U off an HD signal and it was good, but it's just not what I would expect in a set that retails for 3K? I have seen those photos of the "commercial" Panasonic sets in some thread and they look fantastic...very close to a Pioneer, but these "consumer" Pioneers, at least from 2007 are pure trash...perfect for the masses, I guess...

·
Registered
325 Posts
i love my samsung 5084 and i bought it because its picture was superiour to all the other plasmas they had there.

out of bestbuys display of PDP sets that popped when u came to that area was, the pioneer 5080 the samsung 5054 and the samsung 5084.

now i reterned my 5054 becuase it has burn problems and i didnt care for the 720p so i went ahead and got the 5084 1080p and it blows my mind everytime i watch something on it. now the huge 60 inch pioneer they had there was dull and did not pop at all same with all the 1080p pioneers but the 720 pioneer was great. now i did notice that they did process bestbuys signal better then all the other sets. when some sets would block up the pioneer would seemlessly process the picture with no issues. thats not a buying point for me. it could be the sets arent calibarted but to my eyes its simply not worth the price for a set that does not look good to the eye.

granted display sets should be properly set to be the best picture so when you come around the corner the screen should give you the wow but they dont. the 5084 did to me and thats what i bought.

i have clearly stated before i thought the panasonics were not good at all and the pictures had no pop to them even after playing with the settings.

i also do not care for panasonics gui.

·
Registered
717 Posts

Quote:
but these "consumer" Pioneers, at least from 2007 are pure trash...perfect for the masses, I guess...

This is hands down the best thing I've read in this forum! Thank you for standing up and stating the truth!!!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Kuros are way overrated here but who am I stop the indulgence and worshipping by the faithful.

I'll continue to enjoy my Sammy thank you

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/12872067

How many times is the "Kuro is best" subject going to be discussed?

Almost as if they have to keep saying it to convince themselves 'cause...oh never mind.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul /forum/post/12872851

Almost as if they have to keep saying it to convince themselves 'cause...oh never mind.

That's a tight quote coming from a samsung owner. Hey I own one too, but enough is enough. I'd rather have a Kuro remote than my samsung panel. At this point, I'd almost take a vizio remote for it. Like Panny reps say, Pioneer is what every other company strives to be. Samsung should take a que, but they are too busy boasting about their brighter than white "whites". In my case, Pinks.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I think if you have tons of sunlight in your viewing room, then there are better choices than Kuros because in a situation like that LCDs are the best, and CRTs are very good as well expect for reflections.

As of now, crts are the only displays that can do both pure black and are not at all dim.

In terms of viewing in a proper dimmed room, the Kuros are probably the best consumer displays when you take all factors such as screen size, motion blur, black level, contrast ratio, moving image resolution, geometry, etc, etc.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyKilowatt /forum/post/12872915

That's a tight quote coming from a samsung owner. Hey I own one too, but enough is enough. I'd rather have a Kuro remote than my samsung panel. At this point, I'd almost take a vizio remote for it. Like Panny reps say, Pioneer is what every other company strives to be. Samsung should take a que, but they are too busy boasting about their brighter than white "whites". In my case, Pinks.

Tight quote?

You own what model?

Why not just buy a Pioneer since you are so in love with 'em?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul /forum/post/12873088

Tight quote?

You own what model?

Why not just buy a Pioneer since you are so in love with 'em?

$

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul /forum/post/12873103

Even a Pioneer remote isn't that expensive

I could've sworn they were advertizing a Kuro remote. Black-laser technology!!

Besides... I read it wrong if we're just talking remotes. Why not just buy a universal remote that would beat the crap out of any stock remote?

My Time Warner Cable remote is better than my Sammy or Pioneer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am following this Kuro "Hail to the King", "Best panel ever"....BS since quite a while and I am thinking to myself - what a bunch of semi- or kindergarten or want to be grownups...

Bashing every Plasma or LCD just to justify their spending to get 1080p or only 720p for that matter - what a joke...LoL

Seems you people spend every night watching sin city or a black dog hunts a black cat at midnight to indulge in totally black?!!

Fact is - while a Kuro is a nice panel its far from the holy grail. Comparable to more or less any other panel its dim (no even as bright as a 2 year old 9th gen panasonic), it cannot produce any white (try to see a nature movie with snow in it, the best you can ever get is blue or gray for that matter..) The 6010 is even dimmer and SD doesn't even look as good as a 7th gen 480p panasonic - I know a cheap crappy brand but I still love it.

Kuro is also unsharp. Put it beside a samsung 5084 and you will notice that in a second, no matter if you put a 5080 or a 5010. Some people call this better processing - LoL, you don't see noise etc. because its just to blurry to see it.

Or bring your better half to a store - she will tell you which set has nicer colors or looks sharper...I bet 99 % of the time it WONT be a pioneer!

So whats all the hype with the big following crowd? Whats all the bashing and trying to discourage any other panel owner to sell his to buy a pioneer? Do you all own stocks in Pioneer?

It might be wise for Pioneer to slowly get out of the plasma market, thats probably why they joined with Sharp to produce far cheaper and more reliable LCDs and to make a little more money to keep them alive....a few years more and there will be no plasma anyway.

If you want a good plasma now worth the money without all the buzzing buy a samsung 5084 (or the coming panasonics) - you will get a sharper display with nice popping colors, no buzz and double the warranty for half the price and compared to a 5080 double the resolution. And while its not as black as a kuro its much brighter and far better suited for normal watching in case you ignite one candle in your super dark room to see all black - yes there actually is also image information on the other end of the scale but it seems that has been forgotten by the kuro fan boys...I wonder why?

Funny to watch the Kuro commercial on all the other displays. While Kuro is the blackest it cuts off more image information than any other set - the floating man with the sword is actually standing on a floor, no he cannot fly but on Kuro he can, because that information where he is standing is just cut off (or black). On the cheap half price samsung or panasonic beside he is standing on a grey floor, at least more true but not as spectacular.

Some people call this "great shadow detail" but thats just another hype - even my 7th gen. panasonic has more shadow detail than a kuro. Great contrast but missing information - many people have fallen for this. Looks soo spectacular. Pioneer cleverly adjusted the cut off point very high , other reviewers have noticed that, but they have been shutdown by the crowd and the best panel ever reviewers.

Try to see an animated movie like chicken little on a kuro and sony XBR beside it or samsung 71 series - it will look sooo boring and washed out and very dull and VERY unsharp!

Not that the LCDs are better (actually for that kind of cartoonish movies they are) but hey its just a perspective what to watch.

Oh I forgot, the kuro will look much better at home while all others will look much worst at home than in the store! Or if that doesn't help get it ISF calibrated!

Imagine spending a fortune to get the cheapest 1080p plasma ever sold by pioneer (still has an msrp of 5K!) to spend another fortune to have it professionally calibrated (otherwise its not usable...LoL).

BUT the best ever discussion is the 720p versus 1080p debate to justify the super expensive pio 5080 - its like defending a V6 mustang against a shelby cobra, sure both can legally only drive 70 on the highway...so they are equal...everything else is equal right?!....LoL.

1080p has twice the resolution and it makes no difference if you don't want to see it by sitting far enough from the set (remember the cheapest ever pio 1080P costs almost twice as much as the competition so keep bashing the other sets...).

Actually I am sitting far enough from my 480p set so I don't even need 720p for that matter, why the hell did they ever develop HDTV when you just need to move far enough....

People seem to forget that its not just resolution there is also a perception of depth (3D) and scaling. To scale to 720P (after upscaling from 480 to 1080 watching SD dvds) is just not very practical and surely produces more artifacts than just leaving it at 1080....so the much better scaler in a pio 5080 is really necessary - after all it has also sooo much more work to do because there is nothing native 720p other than a few tv programs but no hd/dvd or blu ray.

Of course since I don't own a Kuro and therefore have none at home and not ISF calibrated anyway I don't know what I am talking about? I have seen them MANY times in different stores in different states, also Elite sets which were calibrated etc. They LOOK nice and in many cases spectacular with the right program material - but not always. I have seen other spectacular looking sets for almost half the price.....and I still like my ancient age panasonic 7th gen. professional display - there is NO BUZZ even a few inches away and I bet it will still work fine after the kuro fan boys have thrown their sets away because they could not stand the noise or the other problems or the sets just broke - hey after all a kuro is NOT and NEVER will be as reliable as a panasonic - keep bashing!

So you Kuro fan boys keep watching sin city all night and turn up the volume louder than the buzzing - but don't ignite a candle....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.