AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working with an older Kustom 4 input, 6 zone amp by Kustom (now Nuvo). I've never set up one of these before. The sources will be at least:

1) Blu-Ray player

2) Dedicated AM/FM tuner

Each source will be connected via RCA cables and IR. How does the volume get turned up or down? The manual makes it look like it's done by remote control to the source. But neither the Blu-Ray or Tuner have volume controls?

· Registered
1,755 Posts
If it's like the NuVo, the volume is controlled by the remote wall pads through the CAT-5 connection. I see a couple CAT-5 connections so I assume you have those hooked up?

· Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is correct, the Cat5 goes to wall mounted units with volume controls. Nothing is hooked up yet though.

If I hadn't read otherwise, I would have assumed that volume would be controlled at the zone amplifier, kind of like an "L-Pad".

So by adjusting the volume knob on the wall, you would be kind of adjusting the gain on the amplifier.

But the directions eluded to the volume being controlled by IR to the sources. Which is why I'm confused.

I want to make sure I don't have to have this zone amplifier connected to an a/v receiver at all. I only want to connect it to sources.

· Registered
1,755 Posts
The IR is for IR blasters that allow you to control your sources (change channels, control the Blu-Ray, etc.) from each room. The IR from the remote is detected by the room controls and send to the blaster outputs, which are attached near the source's IR input eye.

The volume control adjusts the gain of each zone amp. As you note, sources do not normally have a volume control. You don't need the A/V receiver connected if you don't want to listen to anything from the A/V.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.