AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a KV-32FV310 delivered today. Unfortunately it's defective and it keeps shutting off immediately after power-up, but I did get a chance to watch it for about six hours before the problems began and the picture is a big improvement over the KV-32FS16 I've had for the last three years. Geometry and focus are much improved, and the sound system is much nicer as well.

I'll be talking to Sears tomorrow about getting the set replaced, and I'm considering upgrading to the KV-32HS510 since I have a GameCube, RP62, and a CLD-79 LD player that could benefit from the 480p upconversion. However, I've read that some 480i sources, such as older gaming consoles, don't look so great when upconverted by the display to 480p. I have a number of classic consoles, so this is a concern for me. I was wondering if any of the 32HS510 owners could tell me if 480i material can be displayed natively without any processing, or if all 480i material is automatically upconverted to 480p.

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
30 Posts
Let me start by saying "I am no expert" on this. I DID do a LOT of research on the 32hs510 however. I recently purchased it (delivered 3 weeks ago). According to "David" at CNET.com this monitor CANNOT display native 480i. It converts everything - using often questionable DRC (see many threads at this site). According to CNET is has to do with the frequecny of the signal. Regular programing is 33 hz vs HDTV (480p) being 15 hz. Not sure on exact numbers but one is about 1/2 the other. Anyway, the tv is NOT capable of dislaying the Standard signal.

This conversion makes good signals look Good and Bad signals look worse than normal tv's. From what I can tell it has to do with the "compression" applied to the signal from the station sending it out to the cable provider. I am NOT saying I wouldn't still get the 32hs510, but I was hoping for a miracle I guess when I thought everything would look great. I am NOT sure about gaming consoles. My experience is only with standard cable and Progressive DVD (the DVD is so unbelieveable it is the sole reason I am keeping the set).

Not sure any of this helps. Just be aware. I read many reviews before buying and they most said what I have said above (good signal looks good and bad signal is worse than normal). I would think, but am not certain, a gaming console would probably put out a good signal though, so you may be ok.

Joel

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My primary use for this TV is older gaming consoles, with DVD, digital cable, and LD playback taking a back seat to the gaming. I originally purchased the 32FV310 because of this, but now I'm starting to think that the 480p and HD playback would be a nice bonus. However, if interlaced gaming performance suffers, I'd rather stick with the 32FV310 since it's quite good with all sources, just not 480p compatible.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
I agree with most of the points Berk made. These sets are typically designed to scan at only two rates 33.75kHz (1080i) or 31.5kHz (480p/960i). 15.75kHz (480i) usually has to be upconverted to one of these to be displayed. Personally, I like watching 480i on an analog TV which can scan at 15.75kHz. (And watching 480p/1080i on HDTV naturally. :) )

I'm not sure how this would impact your gaming experience though. Hopefully some other folks here can comment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.