AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - The Good Guys just got the new SONY models in and I was able to pick up the 32HS510 for $1,199 after wheeling and dealing on a price match with goodgys.com. Picked it up yesterday, installed and configured it and it is truly awesome.

I did the standard adjustments for the Red Push which still exists and probably always will with SONY tubes. I used Avia to calibrate and tweak geometry, however there was not much geometry to correct and this is why I am so happy. I am such a stickler for geometry. This set is AWESOME!!! I will recalibrate after 100 hours of normal use.

This is my first HDTV so I had to buy a Progressive Scan DVD player which turned out to be the Denon DVD-900 with the de-interlacing technology. WOW!!! I put the 100% digital SW Episode II DVD in and my jaw dropped. I'm not sure that I will be able to hang with the family or go to work for a while. HEH HEH HEH...

Please feel free to ask any questions as this is a new model just getting out into the stores. Call this a FAQ thread if you might.

CHEERS!!!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Congratulations. How close did you get the colors to match in the AVIA color decoder? Red was 15 to 20% above the next highest when I started to fix red push in my 34xbr800 but now Red & Green & Blue are all within 5%. You may want to come back to your color decoder later because it's kind of tedious. Can you share your settings for other lucky folks? Are the service menu settings different than the xbr800 or the same? Then do yourself a favor, check out a subscription to www.netflix.com , and have fun. Worked for me. :D

Rick

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ricbayer
Congratulations. How close did you get the colors to match in the AVIA color decoder? Red was 15 to 20% above the next highest when I started to fix red push in my 34xbr800 but now Red & Green & Blue are all within 5%. You may want to come back to your color decoder later because it's kind of tedious. Can you share your settings for other lucky folks? Are the service menu settings different than the xbr800 or the same? Then do yourself a favor, check out a subscription to www.netflix.com , and have fun. Worked for me. :D

Rick

"Worked for me." Or you work for them :D

·
Registered
573 Posts
bizuca

That was a cheap shot. Gee, does everyone need to add a disclaimer to every opinion? I don't work for Sony or Netflix and don't own stock in either. I am retired and enjoy watching DVDs on my Sony 34xbr800.

On second thought, maybe I should not express my satisfaction with Netflix because increasing memberships make more DVDs in my queue show up on the "wait" list. Not all of us want to or can afford to purchase DVDs. Bizuca, I hope you have fun when you go to Blockbusters, find a parking spot, stand in line, rent censored 4:3 pan & scan DVDs, fight the traffic to get back home, and get stuck with late return fees. :p

Rick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rick,

I have the red around 5% now and I believe that the service menu is probably the same as yours, or at least close to it. Here are the settings I tweaked:

I changed:

RYR from 8 to 15. (red)

RYB from 9 to 15. (red)

GYR from 9 to 11. (green)(may vary a little)

GYB from 6 to 10. (green)(may also vary)

I also tweaked some geometry, but that varies with each set.

By the way, I found out that my Denon DVD-900 suffers from the Chroma Bug so I returned it for the DVD-1600 - SWEET!!!

Mitch

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mitch

Thanks for the post. It is good to know that in the new Sonys (x10) series, the red push will as easy to fix as it was in the x00 series. I haven't had to mess with my service menu setting since last September (about 6 weeks after I bought my 34xbr800) and the colors still look fine. Also fixing red push allowed me to bring the color setting nearly back to midline (actual setting = 15/32) and I seemed to get richer blues and greens that I had missed after I was forced to drastically chop the color setting to avoid the red push. Nice work.

The Denon DVD-1600 sounds like a great machine and folks on the DVD hardware part of AVSforum love it. Congratulations.

Rick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mitch,

Can you confirm if the 32HS510 Has the Adjustable DRC MultiFunction V1? Sony's press releases seems to suggest they do but retailers arent listing the "V1", they are instead listing "DRC MultiFunction"... can you fine tune your DRC? Or is it just... on

Matt

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Mitch;

I was a member of Netflix for over two years and loved them - never hesitated to post positive comments about them and referred them to many people. Then the trouble began. All of a sudden, my discs weren't making it back to them - they froze my account (they said all I had to do was call to...grovel and beg?) - cancelled them. They were positive my mailman was stealing the discs - my mailman was about 65 and didn't know what a DVD was. Their mail room either lost or stole the discs. Just a word of caution - perfect they're not.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
That was in the news last week, about some mailman or a couple of employees stealing all these returns and stuff. Did you know that?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is that set the same as the KV32HS500. Do u think its better than a sony KP46WT500 or other RPTV's, if so why? Im curious because Im about to get one or the other. Do I really need a wide screen or will the normal screen on the KV be ok?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey I just seen it at the sony site. How did u get it already it says preorder? Anways I just bought the KV32HS500 last weekend. If this one is out I want it instead. It looks like its a widescreen too is it?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Wait....are you guys telling me that the 32HS500 and 510 are 16:9?? Nowhere on sony.com does it say these models are widescreen, yet the picture on the site shows a widescreen set...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
LewisD, this is a 4:3 HDTV and also has a 36" big brother (KV-36HS510).

In late Summer and early Fall, Sony will release their new 16:9 widescreen TV's, a 34"er & 30"er (KV-34HS510 & KV30HS510). The 34"er will be identical to the 34XBR800's, and the new line of 16:9 widescreen XBR's will have the Super Fine Pitch tubes (KV-34XBR910 & KV-30XBR910) and are due out in July '03.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Curcuit city said they could special order the KV32HS510 and would take about 2 weeks and they told me it was a widescreen. I currently have the KV32HS500 and it isnt a widescreen. If anyone knows for sure if the 510 is a widescreen please let me know.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I got the info straight from the Sony News website. The model numbers are easy to confuse, w/only the screen size changing in their line up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 32 inch, KV-32HS510 is NOT Widescreen -- it is 4:3. I don't care what the Sony picture shows right now on their website. That has to be a mistake. Sony's new widescreen models will not be available until later this summer -- they will be the the 34-inch KV-34HS510 and the 30-inch KV-30HS510 (and also two new XBR910 models). There is no 32 inch widescreen, period. The new 32 and 36 inch models (HS510) are both 4:3.

See http://www.agoraquest.com/print.php?sid=144 [/url]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
xxx73,

I don't mean to sound impatient, but you really need to read the post thoroughly. You are looking at the CURRENT Sony Line. Sony's NEW lineup will be released in vaious order starting in July '03 w/the new XBR's. The 34" KV-34HS510 WIDESCREEN 16:9 is scheduled for release in August '03, followed by the 30" KV-30HS510 in Sept.'03.

The two(2) new 4:3 HDTV's (KV-32HS510 & KV-36HS510) are being released NOW, in May '03. But apparently not ALL stores have them yet, and sometimes Sony releases their new line at different times in various parts of the country. This is May 8th, so that leaves 23 more days. I'm sure Sony will be updating their current line website in the very near future.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
The 32HS510 should be a 4:3 TV. Yes, the picture on Sony's website shows a 16:9 TV. However, right-click on the picture and select properties and you'll find the image name of that TV as 34HS510. They just have the wrong pic on the site.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.