AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Xbox 360 (hooked up via component), a Toshiba HD-A2 (hooked up via HDMI to DVI) and a KV-34HS510. I set up the Xbox and a Comcast HD box a long time ago and was in love with the TV from the get go. When I watch DVDs on the Xbox though I can't run in 'Normal' because the screen just goes all squiggly. I have to use one of the stretch modes which makes the picture look terrible. I thought it might be an Xbox setting but when I use the HD-A2 (set to 480p output) I get the same squiggly screen when set to 'Normal' and have to use a stretch mode to be able to see. All other input (1080i, 720p and 480i) all look fine (great even). I am at a loss. I have another progressive DVD player around here that I'll try connecting via component but it appears I have a problem with 480p content, anyone have any insight as to how I can fix this problem? LMK. Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I'll ask a few questions first. Are your connections direct to the set, no intermediate components like switches or a/v rcvrs? You are referring to SD DVDs, correct?

I'm not familiar with XBox or HD-A2 upconversion specifics but generally anamorphic DVDs, input as 480i/p, should be viewed on your set in FULL screen mode and the player should be setup for a 16:9 tv.

Have you tried the SD DVD player via component? What were the results for 480i and 480p?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is an intermediary, a DG510 receiver but the problem is present regardless of the connections being direct or indirect. The problem is present with any 480p signal (SD DVDs, HD DVDs with output set at 480p, Xbox 360 games with output set at 480p, cable box set to 480p output).

The manual describes this TV as outputting either a 480p or 1080i picture, the implication being that when it receives any other signal it converts it to one of these formats. So you would imagine that a 480p signal should be easily received and outputted. I have seen evidence of this from other similar TVs (namely this TVs kissing cousin the 34xbr800) but any 480p signal turns into a garbled mess.

I have an SD DVD player that I will try hooking up tonight. 480i signals are properly rendered, and like I said, all 480p signals are a mess. Thanks.

Jason

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tno /forum/post/15439031

There is an intermediary, a DG510 receiver but the problem is present regardless of the connections being direct or indirect. The problem is present with any 480p signal (SD DVDs, HD DVDs with output set at 480p, Xbox 360 games with output set at 480p, cable box set to 480p output).......

This sounds like a sync problem.

Quote:

......The manual describes this TV as outputting either a 480p or 1080i picture, the implication being that when it receives any other signal it converts it to one of these formats. So you would imagine that a 480p signal should be easily received and outputted. I have seen evidence of this from other similar TVs (namely this TVs kissing cousin the 34xbr800) but any 480p signal turns into a garbled mess.......

The Sony DA-4 chassis scans at 1080i (and MAYBE 540p). 480p is converted in the MID circuits to 1080i for display. Switching between the component and DVI inputs occurs on the M board and MID processing occurs on the B board. There are sync switches on both boards. A reseating of the boards may help.

Quote:

......I have an SD DVD player that I will try hooking up tonight. 480i signals are properly rendered, and like I said, all 480p signals are a mess. Thanks.

Jason

Report your findings. FWIW, these sets perform a very good deinterlacing job in the DRC. I have found very little difference in the visual quality of 480i versus 480p inputs.

BTW, is this a new problem or has it always performed this way for 480p sources? Have you done any modifications of service menu parameters?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, the problem has been confirmed in HDMI and in component whenever a 480p signal comes through. I have had trouble explaining what it looks like so I am putting it in pictures. This is an old problem but at the time I didn't have time to research and look into it, I have had more time lately so I did. Since it shows up in HDMI and component I figured the best way to depict it was with the HD DVD player in component from its set-up screen. I took a picture with each resolution, and then with the 480p/i resolutions a picture with each picture setting (Normal, Full, Zoom, Wide Zoom). Pictures below:

34hs510 1080i (looks normal)

34hs510 720p (looks normal)

34hs510 480p full (stretched)

34hs510 480p zoom (stretched)

34hs510 480p wide zoom

34hs510 480p normal (garbled)

34hs510 480i normal

34hs510 480i full

34hs510 480i zoom

34hs510 480i wide zoom

So, clearly there's a sync problem, I hesitate to tear it open and adjust things, but the xbox (my normal route of dvd playing) only does 480p through component so I'd like to do that. If it's a must though, I'd like to know what needs doing. I did adjust the service menu to eliminate the moving band issue with HD content on these sets, but the problem existed prior to making any changes. What do you think?

tno

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
At this point, I can only recommend reseating the boards. It is evident that you have a sync failure. Determining where that failure is occuring will require hands-on troubleshooting.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I've seen that garbled screen problem before. When the screen position is adjusted (in the service menu) past its limits, the picture will freak out like that. Also notice that your geometry and overscan are really terrible. Has someone messed around in the service menu?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pictures don't do the TV justice. The overscan and geometry issues are isolated to the bottom left side of the screen. Two very specific changes were made to the service menu, since I have owned it, to correct a known white band problem, but the problem existed prior to that correction. I haven't the foggiest idea whether the prior owner had any work done in the service menu, however, I would imagine he would have had the white band problem corrected.

If it is a service menu issue and not a reseating issue, what service menu submenu needs to be adjusted? If it is a reseating issue, how do I go about doing that? I am not someone that likes to go into something blind so as much guidance as possible would be nice, anyone have a service manual?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/15486657

I've seen that garbled screen problem before. When the screen position is adjusted (in the service menu) past its limits, the picture will freak out like that. Also notice that your geometry and overscan are really terrible. Has someone messed around in the service menu?

I agree, the first two jpgs of FULL HD presentation indicate some overscan but it doesn't look like much. Looking at the 480i Normal presentation, the left edge of the 5 rectangles on the left side of the screen represent the edge of the video.

Since the problem only presents itself in the 480p NORMAL screen mode it may be the result of some type of overscan within the center window. The only service menu parameter that I could find that effects 480p/NORMAL alone is MID3,VDHS which has a default of 216. Its possible that the previous owner attempted an adjustment and set this parameter too high to fit in the NORMAL window and is creating a sync issue.

BTW, when in the service menu always write down the initial value and NEVER attempt any resets.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll give that a try this weekend. Thank you for all the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii /forum/post/15491122

I agree, the first two jpgs of FULL HD presentation indicate some overscan but it doesn't look like much. Looking at the 480i Normal presentation, the left edge of the 5 rectangles on the left side of the screen represent the edge of the video.

Since the problem only presents itself in the 480p NORMAL screen mode it may be the result of some type of overscan within the center window. The only service menu parameter that I could find that effects 480p/NORMAL alone is MID3,VDHS which has a default of 216. Its possible that the previous owner attempted an adjustment and set this parameter too high to fit in the NORMAL window and is creating a sync issue.

BTW, when in the service menu always write down the initial value and NEVER attempt any resets.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so MID3,VDHS was set near 200, and an adjustment to 126 has brought the picture back. I like my 480p picture, but now I'm seeing the full extent of my overscan problem in SD. I would really love to adjust my set to eliminate as much overscan as possible (geometry I'm not going to mess with right now, though I want to keep the aspect ratio right), is there an index of all of the menu codes and what they really mean? I got that VDHS means Video Display Horizontal Scan and VDHP means Video Display Horizontal Position (this was important because I had to adjust that to center the picture once I had the scan problem resolved).

Now, question 2, with a 640x480 image (progressive or interlaced), the image displayed between the vertical black bars is much less than 640 pixels across. The image doesn't look squished, rather, the image is being rendered properly but the bars are covering the sides of the image. Is this normal? I'm suspecting not. Is their a setting to widen out the view?

I'm convinced that my TV could use a really serious calibration, now to find a calibrator willing to work pro bono. Or let me borrow his service manuals and equipment.

Thanks for all the help, here's hoping I can get this set tweaked.

tno
Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii /forum/post/15491122

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.