AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Model: KV-40XBR700 Manufactured: September 2001 DX-1A

Hello all, my Sony 40' XBR700 is on the fritz. A few weeks back I shut off my TV only to find once I turned it back on it had no picture but it did have sound. Once unplugged for a few days I tried the set again and I had everything back picture and all until I tried to cycle the power. Once power was turned off then back on same symptoms. I have done some research and this is the physical data I have collected thus far.

Note: power ups are consecutive without the power being disrupted from the wall outlet

1st power on: Screen de-statics and the transformer relay clicks twice, during the time the relay is clicking the standby light on the front of the TV blinks 11 times then stops, there is no cycling of this blinking sequence. Before the standby light stops blinking I get sound on all electronic inputs, DVD, video one, ect. but none have picture and the set remains playing with audio and no picture well the standby light is no longer blinking or illumined in any way.

2nd power on: Screen does not go through a de-static cycle and the standby light begins to blink the second the power button is pressed on the set. Also when the power button is struck the transformer relay clicks twice and the standby light blinks five times with a quicker double flash at the end of its sequence, once again this sequence does not repeat and the set returns to an audio but no video state.

Xth power on: Every consecutive power up results on the same sequence of events seen during the second power up.

From what I understand when the blinks don't flash in a cycle this means that they are general fault indicators and so the eleven blinks tell me that my tv has a voltage and ventilation problem and the five blinks tell me that there is only a ventilation problem. If this is not the case and these blinks are in fact diagnostic blinks then my five blinks means; white balance fail, video out faulty (IC9001-9003 C-board), CRT drive (IC201) faulty (A-board), G2 improperly adjusted, no raster generated, CRT cathode current detection reference pulse output is small.

This is where I currently stand in my repair efforts so if anyone can lend me their expertise in this matter it would be appreciated. Oh and upon inspection, via the naked eye, I found no burn markings of any kind on the boards of the tv, when the back was off I dusted the inside off with electronic duster.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I recommend you look at this thread . While it may not appear to be equivalent to your exact symptoms, the failure mode, and resolution is a VERY common one to the Sony crts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.