AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, been lurking here for about a year or so, and decided that maybe I should start posting :p. Anyway, I'm in the market atm for a HDTV, when i noticed that Circuit City had the 34HS420 online for $1300, which to me seems like a good deal. So I called up the nearest location and asked if they had any in stock. They said no, and told me it was discontinued. I went huh?

So I called another location, and same deal, only floor model available, and discontinued.

So basically I'm wondering if this is actually true, and If I should get this TV now, or wait a month or two and see if a new 34" sony tube comes along.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohjen
Hello, been lurking here for about a year or so, and decided that maybe I should start posting :p. Anyway, I'm in the market atm for a HDTV, when i noticed that Circuit City had the 34HS420 online for $1300, which to me seems like a good deal. So I called up the nearest location and asked if they had any in stock. They said no, and told me it was discontinued. I went huh?

So I called another location, and same deal, only floor model available, and discontinued.

So basically I'm wondering if this is actually true, and If I should get this TV now, or wait a month or two and see if a new 34" sony tube comes along.
Welcome to the forum!

Sony doesn't know anything about it being discontinued, at least on their web site. This goes against everything I've heard about their tube tv strategy. Maybe CC has discontinued them, but not Sony. They only recently went from $1,599 to $1,499 retail. I would think if they're being discontinued they'd be discounting them much more.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Wow! I just checked the CC site, and they're selling this model on sale for $1,299. And there are sets available in all the CC stores in my area. Maybe there is something to this news...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc
Wow! I just checked the CC site, and they're selling this model on sale for $1,299. And there are sets available in all the CC stores in my area. Maybe there is something to this news...
Yup, which is why I'm wondering if i should bite on this or wait. In store price is 1399 on this TV, but the guy I talked to at the 2nd CC location said he would have problem matching the price online.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Yup, which is why I'm wondering if i should bite on this or wait. In store price is 1399 on this TV, but the guy I talked to at the 2nd CC location said he would have problem matching the price online.
You can also buy online and do a store pick-up as well, preserving the online price if the store won't match it. But you'll want it delivered anyway, so just buy online and save yourself a trip.

I certainly can't predict where this is going to go. I believe the inventory of these sets is probably fairly high, so you might want to wait them out a bit and see if the prices frop even further.

This is definitely something to watch. I sure wish I could've gotten my 34HS420 for this price - as it is I got it many monthes ago for $1,450, which was a real kill at the time.

This is a very nice HD set, and at $1,300 it's a steal. Best of luck! ;)

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:

Several months ago Sony announced that it would be carrying over all five of their widescreen tube TVs as 2005 models, which if true would include the 34HS420. They also said they'd be dropping the MSRP sometime around July.

It's possible that they've changed their mind since the HS420 line doesn't come with an ATSC tuner and having such a set in their lineup hinders their compliance with the FCC mandate that half of all mid-size TVs have an ATSC tuner after July 2005.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
Several months ago Sony announced that it would be carrying over all five of their widescreen tube TVs as 2005 models, which if true would include the 34HS420. They also said they'd be dropping the MSRP sometime around July.

It's possible that they've changed their mind since the HS420 line doesn't come with an ATSC tuner and having such a set in their lineup hinders their compliance with the FCC mandate that half of all mid-size TVs have an ATSC tuner after July 2005.
After July 1st 2005, it's only 36" and above that require an ATSC tuner. That's why you won't see the 36HS420 in the USA anymore. Yet, if you look on Sony's canadian website, it's still there. Anyway, the 34HS420 is within the mandate. Comes March 1st 2006, it will be 25" and above that will require it:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-259245A1.pdf

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_can_help
After July 1st 2005, it's only 36" and above that require an ATSC tuner. That's why you won't see the 36HS420 in the USA anymore. Yet, if you look on Sony's canadian website, it's still there. Anyway, the 34HS420 is within the mandate. Comes March 1st 2006, it will be 25" and above that will require it....
Actually the full compliance requirement you're talking about is TVs larger than 36" as in 37" and larger. The 36" is considered part of the mid-size group.

A few months ago the FCC announced that starting July 1st 2005, HALF of all mid-size sets (25"-36") must have an ATSC tuner, and then by March 1st 2006 all mid-size sets must have the ATSC tuner.

From USA Today:

"The Federal Communications Commission voted 4-0 to require that all medium-size televisions, those with screens from 25 to 36 inches, be capable of receiving both digital and traditional analog signals by March 1 (2006), four months earlier than the commission had decreed three years ago. Regulators also retained a requirement that half of all new midsize televisions have the capability by July 1 (2005)."

I know this stuff gets confusing and the FCC has changed their minds a few times, but this is the current mandate.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Missed the 'half' in your original post, which was correct. Though it does mean that the 34HS420 is still compliant. It's part of the half that doesn't have it I guess (how do they measure that anyway ?).

As to whether 36" are included after July 1st, look at the link I provided above. They say "36" and larger". Which seems to include 36" sets. Yet after that, they say "25"-36" for mid-size. Bit confusing. So I looked at the FCC order:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-05-121A1.pdf

Scroll down all the way to Appendix B and read section (i). Mid-size is 25" TO LESS THAN 36". That's what I thought. To stay with the Sony subject, note the change from the 36FS120 to 36FS130 in their model line-up. The latter includes an ATSC tuner. That's a good example of the mandate in force.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, internet decided to go down yesterday, so I wasn't able to view the forums. But I went ahead and got the TV. That thing is heavy =x, but very well worth it. The picture is great, although I still have to order an AVIA disc to calibrate the TV. DVDs look much, much better than my 5 year old 27" panny.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Well, internet decided to go down yesterday, so I wasn't able to view the forums. But I went ahead and got the TV. That thing is heavy =x, but very well worth it. The picture is great, although I still have to order an AVIA disc to calibrate the TV. DVDs look much, much better than my 5 year old 27" panny.
Great news! Congratulations sohjen.

I hope you get as much enjoyment from this set as I have. I don't recall if you get cable - if so, and it includes a STB, split the cable before the STB and send one split to the tv's "ant/cable in." This will give you the very best PQ for analog cable signals.

Good Luck!

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
When your ready and the set has at least a 100 hours of burn in time, then come to me to give you the tips to get the best PQ possible.

I can make these sony sets shine!;)

Everything an ISF guy does, i do except for greyscale and convergance that's the only thing i don't touch, since you need proper equipment to do it right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocHunter
When your ready and the set has at least a 100 hours of burn in time, then come to me to give you the tips to get the best PQ possible.

I can make these sony sets shine!;)

Everything an ISF guy does, i do except for greyscale and convergance that's the only thing i don't touch, since you need proper equipment to do it right.
Great! Will definately do that when the time comes. Thanks CrocHunter. Enjoying the TV more and more :).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.