AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on whether to purchase the Sony KV34HS510 or the Sony 34XBR910.

I can ge the KV34HS510 at Circuit City for $1799 right now while I can get the 34XBR910 for $2499 (apparently that price used to include the stand but it doesn't any longer).

I've been leaning heavily towards the KV34HS510 because of the price obviously, and it seems to be about $200 cheaper than usual right now.

I've seen a lot of praise on these forums about the XBR910, but not a whole lot about the 34HS510. I guess that has me concerned. Are there some downfalls to this set that I'm not aware of? What is it about the XBR910 that makes it so much better? I don't want to make a bad choice here so any advice is appreciated.

thanks,

Monica

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also... another question...

Do you think it's necessary to get the extended warranty on either of these sets (34HS510 or 34XBR910)? I wasn't planning on getting it because I thought these tv's were supposed to be pretty solid. But what kinds of things commonly go wrong? Is it a huge gamble not to get the extended warranty?

thanks again,

Monica

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The 34XBR910 is a lot better due to its super-fine-pitch higher resolution CRT that just came out with that model. The 34HS510 is older technology, the same tube from several years ago with lower resolution - equivalent to other competitors but the XBR is unique. You should shop around a little and haggle - Good Guys has a 10% off any item this week so you could get the 34XBR910 price down to $2250 just from that and probably more, ask for a price match.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Unless you're in a rush, I wouldn't make a decision just yet. CC puts on sales every week, and it's likely they'll have a new (or the same) purchase incentive for the XBR soon. $200 gift cards are also very common on any TV $2000 and over, so don't be fooled into thinking $1800 for the HS510 is an extraordinary deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a quick note that I was looking at the 32" Sony 4:3 (510) today and they were running a 16:9 picture to it. The TV was displaying in letterbox format.

I saw definite convergence issues, worst on lower left and also bad on upper left corners. Salesguy didn't really understand what I was talking about. I think other posters to this forum have indicated you can get some improvement by going into service mode and adjusting.

This is the one thing that has me concerned with the 510. I would definitely have the store run an image in that format so you could check it out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't get the 910 unless your planning on sitting less than or equal to 6ft from the screen. Outside of 6ft the 510 could give you a better picture in brighter room environments. Seating distance is critical with the 910.

Java Junky

PS: I was leaning to the 910 until I compared the set to a high end Panasonic 34". I was watching a PBS Documentary in HD. I couldn't see the vertical scan lines past 4ft on the 910 but was distracted by flicker from the interlaced picture. The couldn't notice the flicker at 6ft, but then the Panasonic look just as good at that distance. Neither displayed flicker or scan lines at 6ft. I plan to go back next weekend to make sure I not deluding myself, but you should look for it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Monica

Try haggling with the salesperson at CC...it usually works.

My xbr910 is coming Monday from Good Guys, & I got the set,stand & delivery for a couple of bills off list price.

EDIT...added >>

I get an additional 1 yr warranty extension when I use my Visa so I passed on the store's extended (which are a very high profit item for stores btw)

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by monpep
I need some advice on whether to purchase the Sony KV34HS510 or the Sony 34XBR910.

I can ge the KV34HS510 at Circuit City for $1799 right now while I can get the 34XBR910 for $2499 (apparently that price used to include the stand but it doesn't any longer).

I've been leaning heavily towards the KV34HS510 because of the price obviously, and it seems to be about $200 cheaper than usual right now.

I've seen a lot of praise on these forums about the XBR910, but not a whole lot about the 34HS510. I guess that has me concerned. Are there some downfalls to this set that I'm not aware of? What is it about the XBR910 that makes it so much better? I don't want to make a bad choice here so any advice is appreciated.

thanks,

Monica
Monica,

I have a brand new stand for the XBR910 that I may be interested in selling to you should you decide on the XBR910. You're local :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
As far as I understand it the free stand offer is valid til 2/22/04 on any XBR purchase, that is thru CC.

Includes 30", 34", 40" XBR models.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have the 34hs510 and love it. my original plan was to get the 910, but its not available in my area. And for a $700 difference, i can't see why you wouldn't go with this tv, unless everything you watch is HD.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my set that couldn't be fixed in the tv menu - not the service menu. Tilt and vertical position are all in the main menu. And all tvs have overscan.

Once i read a few tweaks for the set, i did go into the service menu. but it was to fix 'red push' that all sets are plagued with, and to do the 1080i vertical bar sweep. it was a simple fix though, nothing too complicated, just had to change one value (check other posts for these tweaks/fixes).

one thing though, the stand that comes with the tv is crap. only one shelf for ALL your equipment just doesn't work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chezbrgr2, what's your source for that date? I just checked Circuit City online again and it doesn't say the stand is included. Although, it also doesn't even list the stand as something that's available to purchase at this time. It lists a different stand meant for one of the 36" models instead.

I went to a Circuit City store in person on Friday and they marked down the price of the tv to about $2249.99, but the stand was an additional $350.

I'm beginning to think all the good deals on the 34XBR910 are history.

If anyone else knows of any, please let me know. Otherwise, I guess I'm going to have to settle for the 34HS510.

Monica

·
Registered
448 Posts
Quote:

If anyone else knows of any, please let me know.
I just got back from a local retailer called Electronic Express. They had the 34XBR910 for $300 less than the MSRP. I'd get it, but that's still out of my price range, not to mention lugging that 200 pound monster home would be a pain.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Chezbrgr2, what's your source for that date? I just checked Circuit City online again and it doesn't say the stand is included. Although, it also doesn't even list the stand as something that's available to purchase at this time. It lists a different stand meant for one of the 36" models instead.

I went to a Circuit City store in person on Friday and they marked down the price of the tv to about $2249.99, but the stand was an additional $350.

If anyone else knows of any, please let me know. Otherwise, I guess I'm going to have to settle for the 34HS510.

Monica
I may be able to get you a "deal" similar to KMR's post for a XBR910.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there. I am new to the forum and love it, and would like to provide some of my own information about this subject. The price for either TV is outrageous. I say this b/c of knowing the actual cost associated with the TV. The hs510 lists for about $2,000 not on sale, but the cost of the tv is nearly $800 less. Im not sure about the XBR, but i would say its probably close in line. I provide this info not to make you upset or feel cheated, but to help you with determining whether or not your actually getting a good deal. If some place has it $200 off and will include the stand, then thats a pretty good deal for a consumer, but just be aware of the margin on these items. [Lets just say i know people in places ;) ]

·
Registered
70 Posts
In my area, I've seen 4 XBR910 open box deals in 3 CC stores going for $1899. If you look around or wait, you might be able to find one and possibly do a little haggling.

I don't mean to go off topic here, but why did I see 4 returned XBR910 models in 3 stores? Is there an issue with it? I thought about buying one myself, but seeing 4 of them got me a bit concerned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well.... I took the plunge. I went ahead and did it. I got the 34XBR910 at a store called Video Only. They had the set for $2299 including the stand, which is not as good as the $1899 that btp8056 has seen, but including the stand it may be close. They're also delivering it for free even though I'm a little outside of their delivery zone. Plus they will even install it for me. They gave me the stand first so I can have it set up and ready for them when they bring the tv. I'm excited! Thanks for all your advice out there!

Monica

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the HS510 and couldn't be happier with it. I too, was struggling between the HS and XBR, but didn't see a noticable difference in picture quality to justify the $400 difference. I took the extra money and spent it on a nice stand (that holds six components- I'd link it but I tihnk its against the forum rules). DVD's and HDTV look incredible. Even SDTV looks decent.

I think XBR's are supposed to have better speakers too but I can't confirm it (I'm sure someone here can). That's not an issue for me since I have it connected to a receiver.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Quote:
. They gave me the stand first so I can have it set up and ready for them when they bring the tv.
From personal experience with the 32HS500, absolutely make sure you have that stand assembled and positioned near where you want the Sony to be placed. It's a bear to deal with after delivery! I have hardwood floors, and cut a small piece of carpet and placed it under the stand. This makes it easy to move the whole thing around for cabling.

Enjoy!

J.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just finished comparing the two pretty extensively and found the following:

The HS510 is actually last year's XBR model. Sony departed from past practices by bringing out a past XBR model as a "new model".

In side by side comparisons, I could very little difference. Actually, I found the HS510 has a little bit brighter screen. To make sure it was not just a setup issuek, I did at both Tweeter and Circuit City. Both times I found the HS510 brighter. XbR is a tiny bit sharper in my opinion, but HS510 picture I personally preferred. Interestingly, this opinion was shared by the reps at each store (none of them recommended paying additional price unless you liked the "black" look of the cabinet, which is more visually appealing in my opinion).

Either way, you will get a great Tv. In the end, I could not purchase either as Sony's 34 inch is actually 39 inches wide due to speakers being on outside (this made it miss fitting in our cabinet by 1.5 inches). I'll be going with the new Toshiba 34 inch widescreen which I feel is the better buy for the money anyways.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
"Why did I see 4 returned XBR910 models in 3 stores? Is there an issue with it?"

You don't read of it to much now, but the couple'three months surrounding it's release played host to quite a few experiences with impurities (myself included). Some brands and models struggle with it, some not so much, but there shouldn't have been so unique cases floating around effecting "The Best" tube on the market. If these sets were indeed returned and resold as OB's, purity sounds a fine suspect (some members reported returning as many as 3 units). Had the layman (i.e. CC employee's) considered the set defective, I assume they would have been sent back to Sony, not put on display. Other than that, the geometry/convergence could have been screwed, or the buyer simply might not have found a $2500 picture quality.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.