AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After researching and reading (thanks to all in this forum), I pulled the trigger and ordered this television set from Pacific Sales in Irvine, CA. (There's the plug).

Anyway, while doing the paperwork, the salesman informs me that he would 'strongly' discourage me from watching programs in the native 4:3 analog ratio. I had informed him that I was a few months from my cable company offering the cable box in HD/DVR.

He said that if I watched the picture with the horizontal bars on either side, eventually it would 'burn-in'. This is the main reason I stayed away from plasma.

I really hate the thought of 'stretching' 90% of my programs to fit the 16:9.

SOMEONE PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME!

What are my options? Does the native 4:3 really matter?

HELP

HZ:confused:

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
As long as you mix it up and don't do months of 4:3 only you should be fine. Also calibrate the settings properly with a reduced picture/contrast setting - this will eliminate or significantly reduce the chance of burnin, with direct-view CRTs its a very low chance anyway. The salesman are not experts, so don't go by their info!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coolio Thumperboy, Thanks.

BTW did I mention that they threw in 5 years parts/labor in house warranty for free (well, I know that nothing is technically free). But a great deal. $50 less than Crutchfield. That includes the salestax I have to pay.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The internal modes are not at all bad. One -- can't remember the name Sony gives it -- stretches only the left and right 15% or so, leaving the center of the screen pretty much untouched.

This is the least intrusive stretch mode I have ever seen. You will get used to it in a heartbeat. And you won't go back!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.