AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k. people this is my question. My 910 is on order, and I just set up my new HD200 Sat reciever so it will be ready. My only dilemma is that my DVD player is a Sony 301 disc player. Not Progressive scan. I was told that the 910 has "Upconverting" capabilities. If so, will my DVD picture quality still look pretty nice? I would really rather not move all my discs to a Progressive scan model if I don't need to.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bumping this up...Maybe I didn't make any sense. Basically what I'm saying is will the 910 Upcoonvert a 480i signal? Or will it stay the same? and if it doesn't upconvert, have any of you been pleased with a standard DVD player wired to this set via composite?

·
Registered
155 Posts
The 34XBR910 will not up-convert a 480i signal. The only native signal it will change is 720P. This will be converted to 1080i. I cannot answer your second question since I use component out with my progressive DVD player but their is no reason to believe that it will not perform well with a reasonably good interlaced player.

·
Registered
36 Posts
McNasty,

Like the XBR800 from last year, the KV34XBR910 has a line doubler that Sony calls DRC. This takes 480i material and doubles the amount of content 2X in both dimensions (which equates to Sony's advertised 4X increase in resolution). This effectively becomes 960i. I am a little less clear on what DRC does with 480p, but my understanding is that it still does a line doubling, but does not give you as many options (like 3/2 pull down). For that reason, many on the XBR800 forums suggest that you use 480i instead of 480p. That means you will have no benefit from replacing your current DVD player.

All I can tell you is that DVD content on the KV34XBR910 is simply stunning whether the DVD provides Interlaced or Progressive scan (I really cannot tell the difference, without running special test DVD's).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is awesome to hear! Now I am really dying to get my 910. This is going to be the longest wait ever. I have my HD200 all set up and ready to go and keep flipping through the HD channels just wishing I could see them in HD, LOL. I should have it in a week of two, my distributor ordered it last week.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
another thing to consider-- DVD players are so inexpensive now. Sony has 2 progressive scan units under $200 and I think a favorite on this forum is the Denon which is not much more.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem isn't so much the cost of the unit. The problem is that all my DVD's (170 discs) are all in a 301 disc Sony DVD player, and my Pronto is also set up with DVD cover pictures as buttons that automatically load the movie chosen. To transfer all of them into a new progressive scan DVD juke would be a pain in the groin, never mind making sure they got in the same slots.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
oh that's right I forgot. Man I hear ya. I always wanted one of those things.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Id highly recommend a progressive scan DVD player. I previously thought I could get by with my 480i player considering the component out would be so clear... I was wrong. Even though the 910 does have a 3:2 pull down for its "CineMotion" DRC mode, I find it to look just plain screwy at times. Take a forest scene in The Two Towers. Tree branches in the background will occasionally flicker from being a smooth and pure looking to a sharper bit, then back. Its quite annoying. This is also common in strands of hair. Also, even with DRC you can still notice the image quality drop when an object moves slowly. With a progressive DVD player, you have none of these issues, and DVDs look awesome on this set!

However, it could also be that my old DVD player was a fairly low end Toshiba.

-DeathCom

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Just to clear some things up:

The 910 can not display a 480i signal. It will convert all 480i signals to something the TV can display. Exactly how it converts is dependent on DRC settings:

CineMotion - 480i -> 480p w/ 3:2 pulldown (de-interlacing)

Progressive - 480i -> 480p via pure line doubling

Interlaced - 480i -> 960i

480p is displayed as 480p with no conversion

Now some opinion:

In theory having a good progressive scan DVD player will provide the best picture. 480i -> 480p is done in digital before any D -> A conversion ... 3:2 pulldown flags are correctly recognized, etc. However, the differences are minor so YMMV ... there may be better toys to spend your $$$ on.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:
am a little less clear on what DRC does with 480p, but my understanding is that it still does a line doubling, but does not give you as many options (like 3/2 pull down).
McNasty,

Sorry, but sony sets can't display more than 540 horizontal lines in one vertical scan lasting 1/60 of a second.

In 480p format, there are 480 horizontal line that arrive every 60th of a second so even if the DRC could instantaneously double the 480 to 960 lines, there would be no way to display all 960 in one vertical pass. Only with 480i, which is really 240 lines arriving every 60th of a second, are we able to double the 240 to 480 and display all these new 480 lines in one pass.

It's still a mystery how the 480p lines travel through the Sony. Next month I will determine if they take the same bypass circuit as the 1080i lines do within a XBR800 that has been patched for HDPT to eliminate the scrolling vertical bar bug.

·
Registered
137 Posts
With my very limited experience with DVD sources on my new Sony XBR910 it seems that it has more to do with the choice of player. I had a Sony progressive scan DVD player that would only scan at 480p, costing a staggering 399 back when I bought it to be future proof ;) ...the difference was less than impressive. I then hooked up a Liteon LDV-2001 , costing a jaw dropping 140 that will output 1080i! That did the trick. It just looks like apples and oranges compared. FYI both units were connected via component input.

my .02 worth,

MB1010

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.