AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having trouble with this signal. Haven't been able to lock on for a couple of nights even after a rescan. I know KQCA 58 WB was supposed to return by the middle of this week. Just curious.

·
Registered
212 Posts
PBS is the weakest of all the signals (about 63 on the Dish 811) but it was fine last night and locked in. UPN (21) on the other hand had a good signal at 76 but had so many pixelizations and dropouts it was unwatchable. 58 and the rest looked OK.

·
Registered
30 Posts
C5Guy-

I live very close to you in the Gold River area and PBS is always one of the strongest signals for me. When I read this posting I changed over to PBS to check it out. As I type this PBS Digital 006.1 is coming in strong and steady with a signal strength of 82 with just a $20 RS Yagi mounted in my garage feeding into a Dish 6000u. Odd that you have such trouble with it, but then again, you are in the hills.

·
Registered
212 Posts
dbdsac:

That's interesting. I have only been using HD now for a few weeks and I am still testing things out. I ordered a Winegard preamp which will be here Friday to see if it helps. I may try swapping the Winegard 8-bay for a Channel Master Yagi. But as you mentioned we are in the hills at about 1000 feet -- but there is a taller hill between us and the Walnut Grove antenna farm.

BTW this antenna thing reminds me of my youth when I used to turn the antenna on the roof with my brother yelling PQ reports relayed from my dad watching the TV set. Now of course we use cell phones but the procedure is about the same. As we used to say in the Air Force "Two steps forward -- three steps back".

C5Guy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by c5Guy
... but there is a taller hill between us and the Walnut Grove antenna farm. ..

My sister lives in EDH, so I'm pretty familiar with the area. The hill that's on the north side of Highway 50 right at the top of the pass seperating EDH and Folsom has large transmission towers on top of it . Those towers certainly will not help residents that are trying to aim antennas toward Walnut Grove. If this is the hill you are referring to...ouch!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm next to the Serrano back gate on a ridge in Highland View. I think the ridge with the high tension power lines on it (towers running east-west) may be the culprit. I'll keep trying different spots but my wife is getting tired of the cell phone antenna adjustment marathons. Since my lot slopes off in the back toward a ravine I have heard of people improving the reception when they moved the antenna to the ground (actually 3 feet above). Something to do with signal reflection. I may try that on Saturday but as it is 13.1 is looking pretty good and that's the biggest concern for Sunday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.