AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a usb equipped htpc (doesnt everyone?) and next to it, an older adb eqipped mac (adb ports pass 12 kbits/s) I want to control both through one keyboard/mouse combo. I have 2 choices-

1) get a usb card for the mac (~$99) and then use a usb based kvm switcher (like the belkin soho or the iogear miniview)

2) get a ps/2 to adb converter and use a ps/2 based switcher(like the belkin soho or the iogea miniview)

Is the usb choice better because of its higher data rate?

Is the miniview better than the belkin because it emulates the keyboard and mouse? I think some people have noticed that the switching confuses the pc when it finds the keyboard and mouse are unresponsive (because they are switched to another pc)?

Thanks.

Stefan

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd go with the usb...

I've been trying to decide between the Minigear II and the new Belkin Soho for a little while. The Minigear II has the advantage of OSD and USB sniffing technology, but THG's review claimed there's some issue with mouse tracking speed (although the review claimed it was easily compensated by increasing the sensitivity; maybe intellipoint 4 solves it?).

The Belkin Soho has the advantage of firmware upgradeability, audio switching, and good cable maintenance, but I don't think that can compensate for the USB sniffing of the Minigear... supposedly there's a 3-second delay with non-USB-sniffing KVMs while the OS installs the USB drivers. At the rate I switch back & forth between stuff, I think that 3-second delay would be more annoying than possibly having to mess with the mouse settings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.