AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony HS51 projector. And I want to hook my HTPC and an old Dreamcast game console to the projector using VGA. So, I tried a couple of KVM switches. And the problem is that if I turn everything on before I hook the KVM switch up, everything goes fine. But, if I reboot the HTPC with the KVM switch on, the resolution will be changed to 1280X768. (I need 1280 X 720) resolution. Since without KVM switch, everything was fine. So, I think it is a KVM switch problem. I tried a couple of KVM switches, they all behave the same way. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I use the Belkin OmniViewâ„¢ ExpandViewâ„¢ Series 4-Port Video Splitter and I also run 1280x720. I have not had any issues at all with it. No issues with rebooting. I have a TV, monitor and projector connected to it and I can even watch them all at the same time. I have been very happy with it but I mostly use it for the monitor and TV as I watch over DVI to the projector.

Brian

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingersdlp
I use the Belkin OmniViewâ„¢ ExpandViewâ„¢ Series 4-Port Video Splitter and I also run 1280x720. I have not had any issues at all with it. No issues with rebooting. I have a TV, monitor and projector connected to it and I can even watch them all at the same time. I have been very happy with it but I mostly use it for the monitor and TV as I watch over DVI to the projector.

Brian
You are running Video Splitter, so, is that different?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Same situation here where I needed a VGA switcher.

After trying a manual switch, remote kvm, I finally settled on an Extron 4 port auto switcher. It had the bandwidth to pass the higher rez signals like 1280x720 as well as auto switching.

I have it like this

htpc / component -> vga / dreamcast / sat

I also have the output going to a 2 port Kramer distribution amp. It was a little trickier getting a good signal from there, the cable between the Extron and Kramer had to be better quality.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwire
Same situation here where I needed a VGA switcher.

After trying a manual switch, remote kvm, I finally settled on an Extron 4 port auto switcher. It had the bandwidth to pass the higher rez signals like 1280x720 as well as auto switching.

I have it like this

htpc / component -> vga / dreamcast / sat

I also have the output going to a 2 port Kramer distribution amp. It was a little trickier getting a good signal from there, the cable between the Extron and Kramer had to be better quality.
Those Extron switches are very expensive. I don't know if I should spend that much just to make Dreamcast working. Any cheaper suggestions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.