AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well if anyone in Sacramento was looking forward to Charlie's Angels in HD you can forget it:mad:. I sent an email to the programming department this morning to let them know how disappointed I was that Forrest Gump on Saturday was not HD, and asking if Charlie's Angels would be since it's airing at a delayed time like Forrest Gump. I just received a reply from the programming department stating that Charlie's Angels will NOT be HD either.

I'll be sending a reply here shortly to let them know just how disappointed I am, and urge others to do the same.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Another reason to hope that the Sac Kings lose really soon!!!! Thats is the reason for the delayed broadcasts. The station has exclusive rights to the kings games in Sactown and the reason I can't watch ABC movies in HD!!! Go Lakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thankfully, I can get channel 7(24) from San Francisco! My antenna has been a life saver during these games. I like the Kings, but.....if it interrupts HDTV, that's another story. Maybe we should purchase a MyHD card for KXTV so they can still show the delayed shows in HD.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Comcast customers in Sacramento to get HDTV

Comcast Corp. said Monday it will begin making high-definition television reception available to its cable-TV customers in and around Sacramento. Philadelphia-based Comcast serves more than 250,000 households in the region.

Starting Thursday, Comcast customers with a HDTV-ready TV set will be able to rent a digital set-top converter that includes a HDTV tuner, which will allow them to view channels broadcast in high-definition. They will continue to be able to view standard analog and digital channels on their HDTV sets.

The Comcast HDTV service features a wide-screen picture with a width-to-height ratio of 16-to-9, identical to that of most cinemas; more than 2 million pixels per picture; and color resolution twice that of analog television. HDTV pictures are up to six times sharper than analog pictures.

Over the next several months, Comcast plans to offer HDTV service to customers in other parts of the state near Sacramento, as well as parts of the San Francisco Bay Area and Southern California, as it completes upgrades of its cable systems throughout the state.

I know this doesn't solve our Kings problems. But hopefully it will bring us more HDTV in the near future.

Anyone know much about what Comcast will be offering?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rclifton

Well if anyone in Sacramento was looking forward to Charlie's Angels in HD you can forget it:mad:. .....
Again, poor/no use of subchannel technology. Just another reason this station really needs a change in either policy or personnel if it expects to get any respect in the Sacramento DTV market.

Hammer

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Another reason to hope that the Sac Kings lose really soon!!!! Thats is the reason for the delayed broadcasts. The station has exclusive rights to the kings games in Sactown and the reason I can't watch ABC movies in HD!!! Go Lakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No way! The finals will be broadcast by ABC in HD. Sports in HD is as good as it gets. Watching the Kings in HD WILL be bliss.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Watching the Kings in HD WILL be bliss.
AMEN! This is the ONLY reason I am becoming motivated to set up my new HD receiver. Who cares about anything OTHER than sports in HD!

·
Registered
868 Posts
hammerdwn: KXTV is technically quite capable of passing the HD from ABC at the same time the Kings are on the analog station or possibly also on a DTV subchannel. You would need to convince the management of the need/desirability of doing so before it will happen. Engineering does not control what gets broadcast.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While I could care less about any sport in HD I would be less peeved if the pre-empted HD shows were beat out by HD sports. At least it would be trading one HD program for another. But both games were just SD so it makes no sense that they could'nt use the sub channel 10-2 to broadcast the HD movie vs. that stupid weather map.

Anyone happen to know a bit about how the simulcasting works? I'm curious as to why when the SD feed is aired at a later time the HD feed is dropped. Does the station have access to the SD feed anytime and the HD one only at a certain time? Or is it bigger then the local channel and the network re-broadcasts the SD feed and not the HD? I just want to make sure my disappointment is aimed in the right direction be it KXTV or ABC.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
As I understand it, the Kings buy the airtime on KXTV to broadcast their local games. It's their commercials during most of the game. That is something that I believe caused the change from KMAX to KXTV in the first place.

Although I, too, am a little upset that good HD material is lost because of the games, I can understand that the Kings don't want anything else competing on the same channel for "their" viewers.

KXTV likely doesn't have much choice in that matter.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Anyone happen to know a bit about how the simulcasting works? I'm curious as to why when the SD feed is aired at a later time the HD feed is dropped. Does the station have access to the SD feed anytime and the HD one only at a certain time? Or is it bigger then the local channel and the network re-broadcasts the SD feed and not the HD? I just want to make sure my disappointment is aimed in the right direction be it KXTV or ABC
The local stations in Sacramento don't yet have the equipment to record and re-broadcast HD programming. They can only record the network HD feeds in SD. If the ABC HD West coast feed, starting at 8 pm, is missed because the Kings are being broadcast at that time then any later broadcast of the missed programming will be in SD.

This is the same reason KOVR does not broadcast in HD at 7 pm. KOVR records the East coast HD feed, at 5pm PST, in SD and broadcasts it at 7pm. If you want to watch the CBS HD programming you must wait until 8 pm when KOVR picks up the CBS HD West coast feed.

I have heard KOVR is trying to purchase equipment to record in HD. If they do we will get CBS HD programming at 7 pm. If KXTV had the equipment they could record the movies you want to watch and re-broadcast in HD.

Get mad at the local stations.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Well if anyone in Sacramento was looking forward to Charlie's Angels in HD you can forget it. I sent an email to the programming department this morning to let them know how disappointed I was that Forrest Gump on Saturday was not HD, and asking if Charlie's Angels would be since it's airing at a delayed time like Forrest Gump. I just received a reply from the programming department stating that Charlie's Angels will NOT be HD either.
BTW: I assume you guys know that Charlies Angels and Forrest Gump were not broadcast in HD on any ABC affiliate. If you have an HD display and an HD OTA tuner, you can watch the movies upconverted to 720P on ABC. Unless they are broadcasting the the DVHS version( I don't think there is a DVHS version of those two movies) the movies are only upconverted from around 480. Upconverting does not create a true HD picture.

Original movies made for ABC and CBS are sometimes filmed and broadcast in true HD. 1080i for CBS and 720P for ABC.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hockeykid
Comcast customers in Sacramento to get HDTV

Anyone know much about what Comcast will be offering?
I called Comcast yesterday and was put on the waiting list for HDTV.

Initially, it will have NBC, ABC, HBO, Showtime and possibly PBS.

You have to have digital cable and the HDTV box is an additional $5/month.

-spencer

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rory Boyce

hammerdwn: KXTV is technically quite capable of passing the HD from ABC at the same time the Kings are on the analog station or possibly also on a DTV subchannel. You would need to convince the management of the need/desirability of doing so before it will happen. Engineering does not control what gets broadcast.
So tonight we are gonna see "E.T The Extra-Terrestrial" in HD and the Kings on the sub-channel right?:D

I don't think I have ever said that KXTV is not technically capable of accomplishing something like this, or that Engineering has any control as to whether or not it will ever happen. E.T. in HD is pretty much a once in a lifetime deal, while the Kings in HD is simply not gonna happen on "NEWS 10" unless they go all the way to the finals. So when can you get us in to see the managers so we will show them the need of doing this!

Hammer

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The Kings BUY the airtime from News10 to broadcast their games, which just so happens to be a huge benefit for Channel 10, as well. I don't believe News10 has any control over the broadcast, other than to pass through what is provided by Maloof Sports and Entertainment.

I sent an email to the media department at the Kings, and was told "it's not if, but when" Kings games will be in HD. I actually had a very small conversation with the guy, who stated that basketball in HD was a pretty awesome thing. He seemed just as anxious as anyone to get the HD broadcasts going. Of course, I'll believe it when I see it!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I didn't want to start a new thread, but I just wanted to say how awesome upconverted 480i looks on KXTV. I'm being serious too. I assume KXTV is upconverting it to 720p, and I'm watching it outputted from my dish 6000 at 720p on my 1366x768 lcd projector at about 95".

Kings look great upconverted on KXTV! You guys at KXTV have some good equipment or something!

Bob C

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.