AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kentucky Derby in glorious HD! I've got to do this right. I live in Calif. and grew up in Wisc. I've never had a Mint Julep. I want some Kentuckian to tell me the proper recipe and vessel for this Derby specialty.

I've got tomorrow morning to gather up the ingredients to be able to partake in a mint julep for the derby.

· Registered
4,314 Posts
I want to nominate Linda to be our official AVS HDTV Forum Mom. By accepting such honor though you must be ready to nurture the most obnoxious bunch of big crying babies ever.

You can still carry your HD Diva badge of honor of course.

· Registered
1,526 Posts
My pick: Harlan's Holiday

Has a good chance: Saarland

Long short: Essence of Dubai

· Registered
1,750 Posts
The HD picture should be absolutely stunning for the run for the roses. The sky here in Louisville is clear and you can see for miles! Hopefully it will stay that way until this evening.

· Registered
539 Posts
Saam47:

Having done some business in Kentucky, I can tell you firsthand that you want to use Woodford bourbon.

I was told that it can only be purchased in it's home county, but I found it locally after enjoying some that I brought home from Kentucky.

I wouldn't try a Mint Julep unless it was Woodford.

· Registered
2,170 Posts
Sam Adams Oktoberfest.

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, since I asked this question a little late, I wasn't able to attempt to make the syrup/refridgerate overnite w/mint. Heck ,I wasn't even able to find any fresh mint in 3 stores. So, I ended up having a Fat Weasel Ale:)

But I'm now prepared for next year(thanks Linda).

Wow, there were sure some gorgeous HD views of the Derby. A few SD views here and there, but not for any length. Overall, a well-done presentation.

· AVS Forum Special Member
11,153 Posts
Liked the way NBC inserted its standard-broadcast images into a labeled window inset. Delighted to be able to watch it, even though it was only 3% racing. Next stop? Nice if they'd shift that HDTV gear up to Long Island NY for NBC's mid-June broadcast of the U.S. Open golf tournament. Say, 4 days, about 6 hours/day. -- John

· Registered
117 Posts
That was an excellent job on their part, it looked excellent. I recorded that on the panny E20 and it did a pretty decent recording, it looks pretty good on the RP91 playing back, not as good as the broadcast of course but it is cleaner than most all of the dvd's I have that are from the store. I am pretty happy with the samsung's multiple outputs and how it is able to send the widescreen reception to the E20 and maintain the aspect for recording, funny thing is I never thought about that when I bought the samsung. For some reason I didnt think that the E20 would record 16x9 and be able to play it back without bars. It was a pleasant surprise!

Mr. Crowley

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by John Mason
Liked the way NBC inserted its standard-broadcast images into a labeled window inset. ..... -- John
Yes, this really showed off the difference between SD and HD. Something like this should be used in the retail TV stores. It would really show off to potential customers how better HD is, and it could be done on each individual set.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.