AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the author of the LA Times article is under the impression that it is easy to record DirecTV HBO HD today, as long as you have a DHVS vcr. i indicated to him that it is only the discontinued Dish 3-piece along with the Panasonic vcr combo that could do this.

his latest reply to me stated:

"I think I'm missing something here. The DVHS machine I'm thinking about has analog inputs, so it goes into the signal path the same way an HDTV-ready monitor does -- by plugging in an HD component feed. That won't work once image constraint arrives, but it will work today for the HD HBO channel on DirecTV."

can you technical gurus draft a nice technically savvy response to explain it all to him?

thks!

see this thread for background:

Topic: L.A. Times 7/26 Article on possible obsolescence of current HDTV monitors
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/015172.html#8

[This message has been edited by bossmonkey (edited 07-27-2001).]

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank:
He must be referring to something like a JVC WVHS recorder which will do what he is talking about.

Frank, to make sure i did not misunderstand - is this JVC VCR indeed capable of recording the original HD HBO signal from existing DirecTV STBs like the RCA DTC100?

what is the model, price & availability?

thks

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Yes it is. This is the JVC SR-W5U W-VHS deck. It was made for the professional, not consumer market. I think it was priced around $5000 when it first came out, although you can find it for much less now (one was just sold on Ebay for $1500). It has component inputs and outputs and can record at full 1080i but the sound is only stereo, and the W-VHS tapes that it uses are expensive ($30-$40). You can see some pictures here .

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Well his response is still half wrong!

The WVHS cannot record from a DTC100. It will work on Panasonic STB and possibly Sony. Two problems with the DTC100. One easily fixed, one not.

1) The DTC100 has an RGBHV or VGA output. The WVHS expects YPbPr with trilevel sync. A simple VGA to BNC breakout cable won't work. There are devices that will convert the signal to varying levels of sucess. The best is said to be the Key Digital unit that provides true trilevel sync on both H&V.

2) The DTC100 outputs a non standard H rate. This is either intentional or just the way the math worked out in the decoder. While monitors and TV's have enough range to accept this minor difference, the WVHS does not. The DTC100 signal will not feed into a broadcast grade YPbPr to SMPTE292 digital convertor eithet for the same reason. I tried that too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.