AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my entry level Polk New Monitor 75T mains and 25C center. I believe they're the weakest link in my system. Other equipment/specs I have...

Onkyo 818

Emotiva XPA-3

Polk Tsi100 bookshelf speakers for surround (4)

2 SVS PB-2000 subs

Epson 8350

150" diy AT screen

2500 cu ft sealed dedicated room

Speakers hidden behind false wall

I've only owned Polk and I'm eyeing the Polk rtiA7 with matching center but I'm open to other brands as well. Budget is very slightly flexible for the right buy but I don't want to go much higher. I feel that anything will be an upgrade over what I have now. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I would go with three of these: http://chanemusiccinema.com/Theater-Ten

They are designed for HT applications like yours, and offer excellent dynamics and clarity. These are smaller versions of the big high efficiency loud speakers found in theaters, and will give you much more dynamic sound than you would get from new Polks. Since you already have two excellent subs, tower speakers will give you no benefit over bookshelves.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1520775/l-c-r-upgrade-1-000-budget-advice#post_24433324

I would go with three of these: http://chanemusiccinema.com/Theater-Ten

They are designed for HT applications like yours, and offer excellent dynamics and clarity. These are smaller versions of the big high efficiency loud speakers found in theaters, and will give you much more dynamic sound than you would get from new Polks. Since you already have two excellent subs, tower speakers will give you no benefit over bookshelves.
Thank you for the link, I will look into these. I would like a bit more mid bass punch as well as clarity, hence the upgrade. I'm not a total HT noob but there are many brands of speakers out there I've never heard of so I figure it can't hurt to seek outside advice.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
If you can go up a little you could get the EMP E55 towers and the matching E56ci center for around $1100. I'm running those right now in my front sound stage and I've been thrilled. They are fantastic speakers, and I think will give you a pretty decent upgrade over the Polk's. When I was shopping speakers last year I had a hard time finding anything close to the EMP's at their price point (when I bought them I paid nearly $100 more for the towers).

The EMP towers do struggle on the low end. EMP, in my opinion, does a good job dealing with this. Instead of having them play muddy bass down to 40hz, they have a pretty steep roll off around 60hz. Pairing them with the dual SVS-2000's (I've got a PC12+) should give you some fantastic sound.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
+1 on the EMPtek speakers! listening to them now and they are very good and outstanding for the price!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those EMP speakers are really looking good to me. And they have a 30 day trial period, which I like. Since I have plenty of space behind my screen, are there any advantages/disadvantages to using identical speakers for all 3?

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
The cmt340 are actually more expensive than the emp towers, especially if you buy stands and I have a/b compared them. They are both very good speakers. The aa cmt340 hit lower are were better in 2 channel music. The emp were better for ht and have much better mid base.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice setup hockeypucks!

If your looking at ascend and emptek I would throw two more ID speaker brands out there of HTD and ARX from chane. Both have a lot of good reviews and are high bang for the buck as are ascend and emptek.

I settled on purchasing arx and have been very pleased. The new tweeter/crossover in the a2 and a3 is really smooth. The finish is a little plain as most of the cost is put into cabinet and components but if behind your screen probably a moot point.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1520775/l-c-r-upgrade-1-000-budget-advice#post_24436802

The cmt340 are actually more expensive than the emp towers, especially if you buy stands and I have a/b compared them. They are both very good speakers. The aa cmt340 hit lower are were better in 2 channel music. The emp were better for ht and have much better mid base.

the CMT 340 appear to not be in one of the preferred driver configurations for speakers that lie on their sides (center channel speakers)

This is a good article for judging such things:

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/center-channel-designs-1

·
Registered
18,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1520775/l-c-r-upgrade-1-000-budget-advice#post_24436802

You can get stands for about $50 and the Emp center looks like its considerably more than the 340C.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1520775/l-c-r-upgrade-1-000-budget-advice#post_24436832

the CMT 340 appear to not be in one of the preferred driver configurations for speakers that lie on their sides (center channel speakers)

This is a good article for judging such things:

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/center-channel-designs-1
The 340C is specially modified to perform as a center. Not ideal but atleast as good as most centers. But if he can put a normal 340 behind the screen in a vertical position then its irrelevant.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks  /t/1520775/l-c-r-upgrade-1-000-budget-advice#post_24436713

Those EMP speakers are really looking good to me. And they have a 30 day trial period, which I like. Since I have plenty of space behind my screen, are there any advantages/disadvantages to using identical speakers for all 3?

This is the most ideal scenario and three EMP E55Tis behind the screen would sound phenomenal. They have excellent dynamics and midbass, and create a wide sound stage. I have heard the RTi series and in my opinion the EMP is better in all areas except bass (which is irrelevant with subs).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, fantastic input guys thanks. So far EMP and Chane have been recommended to me the most. I'm really liking the EMP. Yes, I have plenty of space behind my screen for 3 vertical speakers. I've never had a setup like this though. Would the "center" stay vertical or would I lay it horizontally?

·
Registered
6,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks  /t/1520775/l-c-r-upgrade-1-000-budget-advice#post_24437010

Wow, fantastic input guys thanks. So far EMP and Chane have been recommended to me the most. I'm really liking the EMP. Yes, I have plenty of space behind my screen for 3 vertical speakers. I've never had a setup like this though. Would the "center" stay vertical or would I lay it horizontally?

You would just place three towers vertically behind the screen. Horizontal center speakers are a compromise in sound quality for the sake of placement convenience. Your setup with three vertical speakers is a superior scenario.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's excellent! I believe this is what I'll do. I'm not sure why I've never thought of this before. I always assumed center speakers were specifically designed for the center content.

I have to sell my current speakers first but I will keep researching. So far EMP is in the lead.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks  /t/1520775/l-c-r-upgrade-1-000-budget-advice#post_24437151

That's excellent! I believe this is what I'll do. I'm not sure why I've never thought of this before. I always assumed center speakers were specifically designed for the center content.

I have to sell my current speakers first but I will keep researching. So far EMP is in the lead.

I would still take a serious look at those Chane Theater 10s. They will have better dynamics thanks to the compression driver and larger woofer, and really would create a great front sound stage. I love my EMPs but you have some serious low end horsepower that is just begging for a high powered front three. A lot of the really good dedicated theater use pro speakers like JTR, JBL, Seaton, and Triad because they offer unmatched dynamics. Additionally, the low end extension of towers becomes wasted when you have subs crossed over, so going with a good bookshelf let's you get more bang for your buck.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts