AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying the Yamaha 3900 or z7 and need some ideas on LR ceiling and matching center. (center will be placed on TV stand)

Speaker budget - $2500 max.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvde /forum/post/15501602

I am buying the Yamaha 3900 or z7 and need some ideas on LR ceiling and matching center. (center will be placed on TV stand)

Speaker budget - $2500 max.

Thanks

First, let me apologize if this post comes across as overly blunt. I actually mean this in a most helpful way.

Having said that, it is ill-advised to spend the kind of $$$ you are talking about and then compromise the speaker positions so greatly. The front soundstage needs to be consistent and coherent. Music, dialogue, sounds that "pan" across the soundstage need to sound the same as they move from one speaker to another. If the speakers are different timbre, (and down-firing in-ceilings will, by their nature, be different timbre than a stand mounted, front-firing CC), those pans will *change* as they move across the soundstage. Add to that the height differential, and pans will totally lose their "lock-up" with the video image.

For example, if a car is moving left to right across the screen, the sound should move left to right across the soundstage. In your proposed system, the sound will move from top left to bottom center to top right. This will be a totally unnatural movement of the sound, incoherent with the on-screen image. More importantly, the timbre, (or pitch), of the sound will change appreciably as it moves from speaker to speaker.

I would encourage you to use an all-stand-mounted system for the front soundstage, if at all possible. This will result in a much more cohesive and coherent front soundstage. If that is not possible, for practical, aesthetic or WAF factors, then an all in-ceiling system would be better than your proposed system. Alternatively, an all in-wall system could work also, (actually this would be preferable to the "overhead" imaging of an in-ceiling system.)

If you decide that you absolutely must use architectural speakers, (in-walls or in-ceilings), I would encourage you to use self-enclosed speakers. To understand why this is important, please read this article:
http://www.cepro.com/article/how_to_...peaker_systems

There are many choices of self-enclosed architectural speakers in your price range. Def Tech, Polk, Klipsch, Snell, Traid and others all make self enclosed architectural speakers.

Bottom line, the front soundstage is the most important part of the HT audio experience. Whatever you decide to do, make the front soundstage as consistent, coherent and cohesive as possible.

Good luck.

Craig

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Craig, but here is my predicament.... I have a media niche that is 58.5 inches wide & 95 high.

I've been told that LR&C need some spacing, so here is a look at space.

Any advice welcome!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
What about on-wall speakers? Running cables may be tricky, but no more difficult/damaging than to the ceilings.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
What's on the other side of the hallway right of the TV (picture 1).

Picture 2 gives a good view to the left of the TV (and shows a mantle that could hold a bookshelf speaker; now if the other one could be on a stand on the other side of the hallway...)

·
Registered
521 Posts
That space is quite a nightmare.. something similar to what I had to deal with in my living room. My left speaker is actually to the right of my TV
It sucks, but I really had no choice. Thankfully I have to other rooms in the house that have, or will have, 5.1 and 7.1 audio with superior setups.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Instead of thinking in-ceiling for L/R and a standard C (which will have the odd movement issues described above), think about in-ceiling for all three.

Because you will be sitting quite a bit away from the in-ceiling, get ones that provide angle, like:

- Paradigm AMS-150R-30

- KEF Ci300.3QT

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Yep, looks like it. That would certainly make the install a bit tougher, but not impossible (and maybe if you always want them down you don't need power).

The Paradigm site shows several lines and sizes that have that 30 degree offset, and their offset is hidden under the flush grills.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Rick, I currently have Paradigm as my LR&C, not sure which LR are up in the ceiling, I'll check them out when I get home from work tonight...

Thanks for input.....

·
Premium Member
14,195 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mount a flat panel over the fireplace. Place onwalls on either side, with center channel above.

Convert the nook into built-in bookshelves.

Lots of brands to choose from, but this is what I mean.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not a bad idea Listeningone, but that puts the picture much higher and way left in the room. Would like to keep the TV more centered in the room.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvde /forum/post/15512247

Not a bad idea Listeningone, but that puts the picture much higher and way left in the room. Would like to keep the TV more centered in the room.

but way higher; do you want to be always looking up at the TV instead of straight ahead?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still struggling with front arrangement.... with 58in width, would moving a LCD/Plasma up higher in the media niche and squeezing standing LRC below work sound wise?

Any advice welcome!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts