AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in early stages of planning a dedicated theater but also want a great music system for my living room/kitchen area. It is a large open room with vaulted ceilings. I will use this for 5.1 setup but the purpose of this post is to focus on the L/R speakers only. However they do need to be speakers that have a matched center/surrounds available which most have.

I need speaker recommendations. I don't know how to put into words exactly what I am looking for but I'll take a shot at it by saying I'm looking for "high quality party speakers." I'll watch movies and occasionally sit down to listen to 2 channel music, but I mainly am looking for a great entertaining and energetic loudspeaker. I recently sold my Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2's. I loved them but the ribbon tweeter wasn't for me. I am looking for something less laid back. I am new to this hobby and I know I will need to audition as many as I can.

I have been blessed with a new job that has allowed me to look at a higher price point than before. I've been doing a lot of research but the options are overwhelming. Can anyone throw out some suggestions for speakers that can energize a room and get people on their feet to dance but can also provide an intimate 1 on 1 listening session. I should note I am looking for tower speakers and will add a sub or subs if the speakers need them. I really don't know what I want but I'll know it when I hear it. This post is for the speakers only and will focus equipment once I find the speakers I want.

My price range is anywhere from $2000 to maybe $10,000 for L/R speakers only. I'm fine spending less and don't really want to spend that high but if there's something amazing that I fell in love with at that price I'd do it. My wife is on board with this investment since this is something we will use almost everyday of lives.

3 years ago I had never heard of AVS and now I'm here at least 3 times a day. I greatly appreciate all the help I've received here.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I'll immediately throw out JTR and Seaton Cat as good choices. Seems similar to what I've been through and have had B&W, JTR, Revel Studio 2, Legacy Focus SE and currently Seaton Cat 12's. To me nothing plays as effortlessly as Seaton or JTR speakers.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I am in early stages of planning a dedicated theater but also want a great music system for my living room/kitchen area. It is a large open room with vaulted ceilings. I will use this for 5.1 setup but the purpose of this post is to focus on the L/R speakers only. However they do need to be speakers that have a matched center/surrounds available which most have.

I need speaker recommendations. I don't know how to put into words exactly what I am looking for but I'll take a shot at it by saying I'm looking for "high quality party speakers." I'll watch movies and occasionally sit down to listen to 2 channel music, but I mainly am looking for a great entertaining and energetic loudspeaker. I recently sold my Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2's. I loved them but the ribbon tweeter wasn't for me. I am looking for something less laid back. I am new to this hobby and I know I will need to audition as many as I can.

I have been blessed with a new job that has allowed me to look at a higher price point than before. I've been doing a lot of research but the options are overwhelming. Can anyone throw out some suggestions for speakers that can energize a room and get people on their feet to dance but can also provide an intimate 1 on 1 listening session. I should note I am looking for tower speakers and will add a sub or subs if the speakers need them. I really don't know what I want but I'll know it when I hear it. This post is for the speakers only and will focus equipment once I find the speakers I want.

My price range is anywhere from $2000 to maybe $10,000 for L/R speakers only. I'm fine spending less and don't really want to spend that high but if there's something amazing that I fell in love with at that price I'd do it. My wife is on board with this investment since this is something we will use almost everyday of lives.

3 years ago I had never heard of AVS and now I'm here at least 3 times a day. I greatly appreciate all the help I've received here.

Sounds like you need a LCR combo of JTR 215RT

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Or buy all 3 of mine for slightly more!

Seriously, Cat 12's are really an incredible speaker. With the built in amps it makes the choice even easier. Nice to know that everything is perfectly matched and no need to look for amps.

I had the full range program installed so they can be used without a sub (or of course with a sub or subs) and they are a blast to own. By far the most fun speaker I've ever owned.

·
Registered
381 Posts

I just went through the same search and purchased a set of Tannoy DC 10 ti's. They would be a great match for your description. Detailed yet not harsh, great enveloping sound. Kick butt with rock yet sophisticated enough to enjoy jazz or classical. MSRP 9800 but I got mine at a substantial discount. I picked these over the KEF reference 5 at 13 k per pair. My room is huge, 50x45x30 foot ceilings as these speakers bring it without a sub.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
Will you be using a subwoofer? How high does the WAF have to be? It sounds like you want something more more dynamic range than the Sierras have.

Like the others have said, the Catalysts are terrific speakers. There are a lot of great choices in your budget range though. If WAF must be high, I would take a look at some Klipsch Palladium P-17 bookshelf speakers and a P-27 center. Those look nice and should have plenty of punch as well. If WAF doesn't have to be high, I would look at some JBL LSR6332 speakers, they will have a lot of kick and measure nearly perfectly.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Many good choices, depends whether you want to slant more towards HT or two channel. From the AVS crowd you'll get recommendations that are more HT focused, like the JTR and Seaton. Personally if you want best two channel performance I think you'll find that the more traditional manufacturers have much better sounding products. Don't get me wrong for HT I will go with a horn loaded compression driver every time. But for lower SPL stereo listening I think you'll find better sound quality from a KEF or ATC or any number of other good companies.

The best thing you can do at this stage is go and hear a bunch of stuff. Here's an easy to read (non-techy) article I wrote about this: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/high-end-stereo-speakers-101-shop/

·
Registered
627 Posts
Many good choices, depends whether you want to slant more towards HT or two channel. From the AVS crowd you'll get recommendations that are more HT focused, like the JTR and Seaton. Personally if you want best two channel performance I think you'll find that the more traditional manufacturers have much better sounding products. Don't get me wrong for HT I will go with a horn loaded compression driver every time. But for lower SPL stereo listening I think you'll find better sound quality from a KEF or ATC or any number of other good companies.

The best thing you can do at this stage is go and hear a bunch of stuff. Here's an easy to read (non-techy) article I wrote about this: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/high-end-stereo-speakers-101-shop/
That's what I think also, unless it's a dedicated theater I would lean towards a respected audiophile brand. Many to choose from.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Are the Home Theater and the Music listening space the same space or are we talking two separate rooms?

Next, I assume the current conversation is about the Front speakers in the Home Theater system.

Next, give us the dimensions of the room. If this is a large open floorplan room, then you can get just about any speakers, however, if this is a smaller closed room, then we need to recommend smaller speakers.

Two speakers both on the expensive side, though not eating your entire budget would be -

XTZ Divine 100.49 with twin 10" bass drivers, priced at $3600 each.

http://www.xtzsound.us/shop-en/Speakers/xtz-divine-100-49-piano-black

Tannoy Definition DC10-Ti
with twin 10" bass drivers, priced at about $3500 each.

http://www.newaudiovideo.com/index....=11230&zenid=165a7949ba2e532947b237a3559bbce1

I suspect, in a large room, these would bring the Thunder as well as the Lightening to both movie sound tracks and music.

There is also an 8" version, the Tannoy Definition DC8-Ti for $2800 each.

http://www.newaudiovideo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11227

NOTE: I would not recommend ordering from New Audio Video, there are consumer complaints against them, and I'm not sure they are authorized dealers, but they still serve to illustrate the prices.

Though only $5000/pr the Revel F208 have very deep bass and were said by a Stereophile reviewer to be his new standard for speakers in this price range. Full 5.1 system price running about $13,300/5.1 set.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/revel-performa3-f208-speaker-system

But before we get too carried away, we need more details, starting with your vision of the full Speaker system price, and the full Speaker and AV Receiver price. The other equipment matter as it lends, if nothing else, perspective. It makes little sense to put a pair of $10,000 speaker on a run of the mill $1000 AV Receiver. I'm guessing, though no more than a off-the-top-of-my-head guess, It seems you are looking at $50,000 to $75,000 for the full system.

Next, before people start recommending speakers the size of a small Volkswagen, how big is the room?

Lastly, and relative to the room, with this much money invested, you absolutely need to spend some money on Room Treatments to assure you are getting the best from your considerable system.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are the Home Theater and the Music listening space the same space or are we talking two separate rooms?

Next, I assume the current conversation is about the Front speakers in the Home Theater system.

Next, give us the dimensions of the room. If this is a large open floorplan room, then you can get just about any speakers, however, if this is a smaller closed room, then we need to recommend smaller speakers.

Two speakers both on the expensive side, though not eating your entire budget would be -

XTZ Divine 100.49 with twin 10" bass drivers, priced at $3600 each.

http://www.xtzsound.us/shop-en/Speakers/xtz-divine-100-49-piano-black

Tannoy Definition DC10-Ti
with twin 10" bass drivers, priced at about $3500 each.

http://www.newaudiovideo.com/index....=11230&zenid=165a7949ba2e532947b237a3559bbce1

I suspect, in a large room, these would bring the Thunder as well as the Lightening to both movie sound tracks and music.

There is also an 8" version, the Tannoy Definition DC8-Ti for $2800 each.

http://www.newaudiovideo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11227

NOTE: I would not recommend ordering from New Audio Video, there are consumer complaints against them, and I'm not sure they are authorized dealers, but they still serve to illustrate the prices.

Though only $5000/pr the Revel F208 have very deep bass and were said by a Stereophile reviewer to be his new standard for speakers in this price range. Full 5.1 system price running about $13,300/5.1 set.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/revel-performa3-f208-speaker-system

But before we get too carried away, we need more details, starting with your vision of the full Speaker system price, and the full Speaker and AV Receiver price. The other equipment matter as it lends, if nothing else, perspective. It makes little sense to put a pair of $10,000 speaker on a run of the mill $1000 AV Receiver. I'm guessing, though no more than a off-the-top-of-my-head guess, It seems you are looking at $50,000 to $75,000 for the full system.

Next, before people start recommending speakers the size of a small Volkswagen, how big is the room?

Lastly, and relative to the room, with this much money invested, you absolutely need to spend some money on Room Treatments to assure you are getting the best from your considerable system.

Steve/bluewizard
Thank you for all recommendations so far. Ok so for some more details.

I said the room is large based on what others told me when I was shopping for a sub. Ceilings start at 9' and vault up to 13'. The room is 20' wide and 25' long. There is a 6' opening on one of the long walls that opens up to another room with vaulted ceilings. The speakers will be located on the 20' wide wall. The wall is has plenty of room for the speakers but I can only bring them out about a foot away from the wall because of where the couch is.

This room is completely separate from where the home theater will be. This will be a stand alone system. I currently have a Pioneer SC-1522K. I if I can use this then great, if not I'll get what I need. I also have an VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer.

We are moving in about a year and that's where the home theater will be. The 5.1 I mentioned is for my current room as it is pre-wired for this. When we move the stereo speakers I am looking for now will be in an even larger room(don't have details on this yet) so I need something solid enough to be able to handle a room a little bit bigger as well.

Speakers like JTR or Seaton are what I will use in the home theater. I never really considered using these in my living room also but I would be open to it if they were something not too big like the Noesis 210RT. My wife ultimately will be fine with whatever I choose but we both would prefer something more pleasant to look at it possible.

To make things easier I'm looking to spend about $10,000-$15,000 for a complete stereo setup. Forget anything about needing surround speakers or center channel for now. When I move the chances of me watching a movie with this system when I have a dedicated theater in the next room are very slim.

I like the idea of a speaker that won't need a sub but I can use one if I need too. I'm really not good at this but I'll try and describe again what I am looking for. My last speakers didn't have enough punch and were too laid back for me. The ribbon tweeter had good horizontal dispertion but when you stood up it was lost. I would like something that sounds good while you're moving around the room. I rarely listen to music at high volumes and I am wanting clean tight bass. I could never get the Hsu to sound right with the Sierra's. This is most likely due to poor placement and not having the proper knowledge to calibrate/setup correctly. I think a sealed sub probably would have been better for me. Again I'd prefer not to use one at all.

Remember I am coming from a bookshelf speaker with one 6" woofer and a ribbon tweeter. I don't think my living room is ready for Noesis 215RT with two 15" woofers and a large horn.(They are more than welcome in my theater)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Some people will talk about speaker "X" and it will have a horn tweeter and/or midrange. They will call it a horn speaker.

My suggestion to you would be, in addition to whatever you audition, make sure you hear a fully loaded horn speaker. The horn will lower distortion and the place you benefit from that the most is a horn loaded woofer, not midrange or tweeter. Paul Klipsch said "if it moves it distorts" Well....which moves more? Tweeter or woofer?

You an make a formidable sounding system by going with "just" LaScalas all the way around. Mate them with a pair of Danley TS-10 subwoofers and find it impossible to wipe the smile off your face.

You can up the ante by putting Klipschorns in the corners, LaScala for center and/or rears (I have a pair buried in my back wall)

You can really throw the balls to the wall in their cinema lineup. Jubilee's in lieu of Khorns. Got the space? Get a used pair of MWM bass bins and build up from there.

You can really get excellent value for your dollar in their cinema lineup. I got four MWM (double) bass bins for free (no drivers) I know a guy that got two single MWM bass bins for something like $100 but they might have wrong drivers. Both minor issues.

You don't have to spend thousands & thousands.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Salk Exotica's? All around great speakers... Looks and Sound.

·
Registered
152 Posts
These here
Focal 1008 be

http://hifilivemagazine.com/focal-electra-1008-be2-2/

I own these I switched 8 pairs before these I haven't felt a need to let these go.

I'm also in audio myself so I do have an ear for quality.
Marantz pre used for ht too with outlaw(used) amp makes these really shine.

Also I'm using a Chinese tube pre for a little velvet silkiness in 2 channel.

Treat your ears to a demo of these.....

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I came really, really close to buying the Focal 1038be on three different occasions. Love them, but don't think they can fill a room like I want. Thus I went with Seaton Cat12.

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
Pretty sure if you want dynamic that means horns. (compression drivers).

I'd love to hear some Seatons! If it were me and I had ten grand to spend MAX, I'd get 3x Cat 8c and a couple smaller ones for the rear, plus a sub. Then eventually get 2 more Cat 8cs for the rear, and put those as the 7.1 round up. then I'd get 2 more of the smaller ones that you originally used for the surrounds to go Atmos / DSU (even for 2 channel audio). That will completely wrap you up in sound.

Actually if I'm completely honest, being the cheapskate that I am, if I had to re-start my home theater I would get 11 identical passive speakers with very good directivity, like coaxial compression drivers + woofers, if those exist (Golden Ears?), and place them around my theater in an Atmos layout, and get an as-yet unreleased Atmos / DTS : X receiver to come out this fall. Then, I would get two decent subs, and with the ten grand have terrific speakers with optimum axial control and dispersion with no phasing, and no wasted money on extra amps or powered speakers or processors (AVRs are much more cost-effective, I've learned to my chagrin. I still cannot afford an Atmos pre-pro, they are all ludicrously expensive and already obsolete. No way).

The ideal sound for localization is a point source, and coax drivers deliver that the best. IMO. From my physics background plus reading a lot of threads and interviews here. I do think the Seatons are probably terrific, but they are way expensive and probably overkill for most home theaters. Most of the sound energy in terms of watts is from the bass. I've read somewhere that most of the time, speakers consume about 1 watt of energy in the mid to upper range. Why pay for extra watts you will literally never use? That's where an AVR comes in. DSU is really the killer new tech here. If you have compression drivers plus a good waveguide or in a coax setup for avoiding phasing per speaker channel, that would give you the cleanest sound. Clean sound is better than ultra loud sound. And buying coax I believe makes the most sense in this new age of object oriented audio which is the way of the future, man.

It's too bad there are no Wisa powered coax speakers yet that are both decent and affordable, I would have bought those instead of my JBL 308s (super cheap but highly rated for the price). I like self-powered speakers, but man is it annoying that the cheapest pre-pro I could get that has XLRs is about 2 grand. More than double the cost of all my speakers. Obsolete in terms of codecs too = Rip off.

All that said, I would love to audition some Catalysts at some point and even meet Mark! I hope lots of interesting things come out from him one day, hint hint (Wisa / Atmos coax powered DSP'ed speakers, you say? with pinpoint accuracy? yes, please).

·
Registered
5,151 Posts

... The room is 20' wide and 25' long. There is a 6' opening on one of the long walls that opens up to another room with vaulted ceilings. The speakers will be located on the 20' wide wall. The wall is has plenty of room for the speakers but I can only bring them out about a foot away from the wall because of where the couch is.

You have a 25 foot long room, and for some reason you have to put the couch right in front of the speakers????

That's going to take some explaining.

By the way, FOCAL 1028BE and 1038BE floorstanding, very good speakers, and in your working price range -

http://www.focal.com/en/electra-1000-be-2/211-electra-1038-be-3544054695098.html

http://www.focal.com/en/electra-1000-be-2/209-electra-1028-be-3544053695099.html

The Focal 1028BE are running about $7000/pr.

http://www.amazon.com/Focal-Electra...31460604&sr=1-1&keywords=Focal+Electra+1028be

The Focal 1038BE are running closer to $9999/pr.

http://www.amazon.com/Focal-1038Be-...31460541&sr=1-1&keywords=Focal+Electra+1038BE

The Focal are stunningly clear and detailed speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
If I had to guess, I would say you are looking for something that is more forward-sounding. The Ascends are going to be a very neutral speaker, and you seem to want something less laid back. When I think of a speaker brand that is slightly bright, and has that upper end sparkle, I think Paradigm.

See if you have a dealer nearby and go have a listen, the Signature series is what you would want to look at, and you could get a pair of their flagship Signature S8 towers for $9,000, or drop down to the S6 for $6,600. They definitely look incredible, can be run full-range (but would benefit from a sub), and are front-ported since they will need to be close to the wall.

http://www.paradigm.com/products-current/series=signature/model=signature-s8/page=overview

1 - 20 of 34 Posts