AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JBL sub that's outfitted with both a L&R output and currently I have it going both channels into a 2 into 1 RCA adapter to my AVR. I just bought a sound bar that has a sub output and I was wondering whether or not I could put an output from the sound bar into either of the L/R channels while still using the other (either of the unused L/R channel) for the AVR? I mean the sub isn't stereo so I assume it would work.... correct? I just want to be able to use the sound bar + sub when watching "regular" TV and use the AVR in 5.1 when watching Blu-Rays.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
You only need ONE connection from the AVR to the sub !

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks. I guess I didn't explain what I want to do. Can I have to different sources drive my sub? The sub doesn't have a A/B connection rather a L/R which I find sort of weird but that's how it is. So I want to have my receiver on say the L channel and the sound bar on the R. I guess I could just try it since it's today and I didn't want to mess with it last night. ;-)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad62 /forum/post/18246458

I just want to be able to use the sound bar + sub when watching "regular" TV and use the AVR in 5.1 when watching Blu-Rays.

So are you saying you have a 5.1 speaker setup for movies and a soundbar and sub setup for TV?

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad62 /forum/post/18247424

I want to have my receiver on say the L channel and the sound bar on the R.

That might actually work! We are talking about a low-level RCA connection, right!?? A speaker level output likely would be a big problem.

Give it a shot.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/18249159

Give it a shot.

It does! Last night I just didn't want to crawl back there and do all the hook up. I gave it a shot and it does. I'm still puzzled why the sub has both a L and R channel though.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad62 /forum/post/18249253

I'm still puzzled why the sub has both a L and R channel though.

Some receivers do not have a "sub" output. This option exists so that you can feed a "regular" full-band stereo signal to the sub and its internal crossover will draw only the bass frequencies from both audio channels.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/18249290

Some receivers do not have a "sub" output so the option exists so that you can feed it a "regular" full-band stereo signal and the sub's internal crossover will draw only the bass frequencies from both audio channels.

Ah. Excellent. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts