Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, folks,

I wanna buy one of the L300's, but I'm not sure how it'd work in my cramped location.

I have a small (11X11) room and if I need 18" behind this pj for exhaust purposes, my throw distance becomes perilously short! How much room do I need to allow for venting the heat exhaust on this pj?

What's the word from you gurus out there? I talked to a vendor / sales rep and got an off the cuff response that 6" should be plenty, but that response sounded too tentative to be convincing.

thanks in advance,

Steve

·
Registered
76 Posts
Call Panasonic and ask. I am curious to know. The review at Projector Central says 18". It does get pretty hot after a few hours of use. But I realized last night that the heat isn't too bad if the lamp power is in low mode. The fan runs quieter too.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
What's the elevation in Reno? If you're over 4000', you need to run the fan in high-mode anyway, or your unit will overheat. With the fan on high, 12" should be adequate (no less), and that leaves you with about 9' of throw. That gets you pretty close to an 80" wide image, at one end of the zoom range. I don't have my manual to be sure, but the projectorcentral throw calculator is within 2-4 inches for the 300U.

The awesome 300U is one of very few projectors that will work well given your room constraints, and that's not a drawback at all!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Here is a picture of where I mounted mine (the pipe from the wall is only a 12" pipe). I have had no problems in the month or more that I've had it up there and the fan has never jumped to a higher speed than normal or anything.

Wall mount picture

Couple notes though.

Be careful of viewing distance. With mine mounted that close to the back wall and the couch directly beneath it (for maximum viewing distance), the minimum screen size I can get is 110". Using a 1.5x modifier, that is a 165" viewing distance, which is fairly close to my actual viewing distance. In my case it seems that the projection distance and viewing distance are almost equal, which is 1.5x the screen width.

It all worked out nicely, but a 110" screen from ~13-14 ft seems pretty big at times (dare I say, almost too big). I watch a lot of DirecTV and at that size, the image can seem blurry. DVD's look excellent though :)

Ken

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Baronken
I watch a lot of DirecTV and at that size, the image can seem blurry.

Ken
No kidding. I don't like the picture I get while watching satellite TV on the pj. It is positiviely hideous sometimes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bubbawilly
What's the elevation in Reno? If you're over 4000', you need to run the fan in high-mode anyway, or your unit will overheat.
The manual states that over 1400meters the fan should remain on high. That's more like 4500', but close enough.

Anyway, I'm at 6200', and I was skeptical of such a blanket statement with no regards to ambient room temperature. The unit is rated to room temperature up to 105deg F, so in a cool room it should have plenty of cooling margin. After a little bit of run-around, I finally spoke to an actual tech at Panasonic who looked up my room temperature and elevation on the unit's cooling tables, and said low fan speed would be fine for me.

And interestingly, he also said that if the unit gets too hot with the fan on low, the fan will automatically speed up for extra cooling. And then, if the unit is still too hot, the temperature light will go red, and then begin flashing, and then the lamp will shut down. So there's many many layers of temperature protection preventing heat damage to the projector.

In my situation, 6200', 65deg F ambient room temperature, lots of clearance around the projector, and typical 2 hour movies, I've been using low fan mode and have had no fan speed up or warning lights. I do bump the fan up to high if I take a 5 min break for popcorn and bathroom, but it's probably not needed. I was using high as recommended in the manual, but the fan is pretty loud on high, and it's damn near silent on low, so I'm sticking with low unless I run into a problem.

Richard

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Richard, keep us posted. My first 300U started flashing after 20 minutes, with the fan on normal. I got up to 40 minutes with the fan on high before the temp light started flashing (in neither case did I let the unit continue to run to 'test' the protection circuit). I'm just up the road from you, at about 5500 feet, and my projector is in a very coolish basement. I've never tried the replacement unit on low, but I'd sure like to. Clearly, my first unit was defective. Curious though, when I talked to Panasonic tech support in NJ, they never asked where I lived. You'd think that they would, that is, if altitude is critical.

I'd still recommend no less than a foot for ventilation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, folks,

Thanks for the responses. I kinda figured that the 18" recommendation included a pretty wide safety margin as a protection against law suits. Either that or I'd be able to heat my entire house just by watching movies!

The elevation in Reno is right at 4500 ft so I'm smack-dab on the margin. I guess I'll go with the 12" clearance to start with and watch for flashing red lights.

Actually, in a room a small as mine, I'll probably need to run the A/C during "movie time" to keep from getting the room too warm.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. Now it's time to shop. :D

Oh, and off to the diy screen forum, too.

Steve

PS-Baronken,

I like your redundant safety mount! When I nail my $2,000 toy to the wall, I'm gonna use that same cable reinforcement technique. Thanks for the picture.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Steve, yea, I didn't want to try to mount it from a cathedral ceiling (at some angle), so I mounted it to the back wall. Be sure and use a turnbuckle, it will make getting the picture-wire lengths much more hassle-free :)

Good luck,

Ken

·
Registered
117 Posts
A suggestion from another thread mentioned that you could mount the projector on the wall pointing down, and use a mirror to redirect the light forward. The fan would be directed upwards with lots of clearance, and you gain extra effective distance due to the bent path and the fact that the projector is a lot shorter than it is long.

Not sure if the 300U can tolerate this somewhat unusual orientation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmmm, that's an interesting alternative, but, in addition to being 11 X 11, the room in which I'm trying to mount the pj also has a pretty low ceiling. (Okay, okay...it's really just a big closet, but it's the only part of the house that I'd have decent light control in.) Anyway, the ceiling is something like 7' 9", so I wouldn't really gain much. That would be a really cool looking solution, though!

thanks for the idea.

Steve

·
Registered
589 Posts
Steve, some quick calculations (approximations and roundoffs) that might be of help or interest to you:

If the projector is mounted with the lens 18" from the back wall (leaving a throw distance of 114"), that gives a picture size ranging from 77"-93" diagonal (or 67"-81" wide, using a 16:9 aspect).

If you can manage a viewing distance of 24" from the back wall, that would be a maximum screen width of 72" (83" diagonal) (based on a recommended viewing distance to screen width ratio of 1.5). As you can see, this falls withing the throw range limits from above.

Of course, you can go with a bigger screen than the 1.5x recommended (you should try it just to see how the picture looks to you), or smaller (try this too). A 6ft wide screen in an 11ft wide room is going to look pretty big :D

Ken

·
Registered
18 Posts
I posted this earlier (except I corrected the dimensions of the box):

"My room is very small (my "micro theater") about 11 foot square. So to get enough throw distance, I punched a hole in the wall into an adjoining bedroom closet. This gives me a maximum size of my image is about 92 inches by 52 inches. [Yes I know I'm seated about 1.2 times the screen width, but with HDTV source material, I'm very happy with the image.] The L300U is mounted upside down on a sliding shelf. The "box" it slides into is about 7 inches deeper, about 3 inches wider and about 5 inches taller the than the projector itself. In the back of the box is an opening lined up with the exhaust of the L300U, which leads to an opening in the adjoining bedroom, where I mounted two 3-inch PAPST fans to pull hot air from the exhaust of the L300U. I have about 160 hours on the L300U without any problems. Actually the L300U is only slightly warm to the touch while it is running. Although I haven't measured the airflow from my twin 3-inch fans, they certainly pull considerably more air than is exhausted by the L300U. The only time the L300U is warm is after shutdown (the L300U kicks into High speed fan for about 30 seconds at turnoff after which no air flows through the innards of the projector). Even then the L300U cools quickly because I leave my twin 3-inch fans on all the time, providing continuous flow of air around the L300U whether it is on or off. The major problem with my solution is that it took me about 30 hours to build the box (or was it 60 hours?)."

Now I have over 250 hours on the projector without any problems. Oh, and by the way, the center of the lens is 17.5 " from the top of the ceiling and the walls are a standard 8 feet tall.

Peter

·
Registered
225 Posts
I mounted mine before I read about the 18" clearence. I only have about 4" behind mine, and have had no problems after about 250 hours of use. I've had mine on for 8 hours today with a room temp of 76 degrees, and the 300 is not even warm, and that's with the fan set to slow. The wall behind it is very warm though, but it's nothing to worry about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.