AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please give me one good reason why the 300 isn't HDCP compliant? Tonight I was doing some research on DVD players and came across the Sammy HD931, looks like a great unit. DCDI, DVD-A, and the ability to upscape to 720 or 1080 using a DVI connection. But hold on there little feller...The 300 is not HDCP compliant. What the hell is this stupid DVI connector on the 300 good for then? Many devices that can output HD or upscaled material are going to have this new fangeld copy protection scheme. I am/was planning on ordering this thing on Friday, and I wanted to update my DVD player as well.

Now I'm the first to admit I don't know squat about HDCP, am I getting my undies in a bunch for nothing? And how about OTA HD on the projector? Isn't that copy protected? One last question (not really), Does HDCP only come into play with DVI? What about the RGB connector and the Component?

~ Jay

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
money. i believe manufacturers have to pay licensing fees to include HDCP in their products.

you can however use the DVI input to connect your HTPC to the projector for the sharpest images.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I don't think it's money. I think it's laziness. Panasonic was taking some strange approach to HDCP that involved delaying excessively until HDMI was ready.

Then, suddenly, they abandoned that plan and started implementing HDCP. First was in the DLP RPTV and next will be the plasmas. The projectors are surely not far behind.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.