AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 120 hours on my L300U. I have had no problems at all with it, until now.

When there is a bright scene, or -- if I go into service mode and disiplay the all-white check screen, on the upper left side of the screen, there is a slight green/dark tint -- and on the upper right side, a slight magenta/dark tint, it is pure white in the middle. It's not the screen, i've checked that out already.

Is this normal wear and tear? Or should I send it back. I've only had it about 4 months.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
This sounds like the corner discoloration problem that some AE100 owners have reported (click here) (or here) . Apparently they have an over-heating problem leading to warping of the polarizer plates. Have you been running the fan in "high" or "normal"? I have over 420 hours on my PT-L200U since June 10, 2003 and do not have this problem. I run the bulb in "economy" mode and if I run the PJ for three hours or longer I always put the fan in "high". Also, I clean or change the air filter at least every 100 hrs. If your PT-L300U is still under warranty you should try to get it repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am not sure this is a heat issue. In some extreme cases, yes. In those cases, owners have reported large blue or yellow areas. I've had some color uniformity variances- just as Joe describes- from day one. Good news is, it has not gotten any worse, even after 1100+ hrs.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never had this problem before, though. This is a new thing. If it doesn't get any worse, I'm fine with it. But if it keeps getting worse every 100 hours, this thing will be useless in no time at all.

·
Registered
73 Posts
@Joe Przybylski

that's really bad. Is there a chance that this is maybe a dust blob problem. If not I wouldn't tolerate this issue, because it will probably go worse from there and maybe then you are out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How can I check if it's a dust blob problem? (Although I have no experience, I don't think it is after reading the problems people have been having with heat warping the LCD planesl {or whatever}) I think the thing to do is return it.

but will this happen again?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:
How can I check if it's a dust blob problem?
I'm no expert, but one method that I've heard off is. Focus the picture as sharp as possible and then move very close to the screen (few inches). If you can see a very fine structure of around the discolored areas, then you propably have a dust blob problem.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all of the help, but the great folks at visual apex are replacing my unit.

new one on the way.

i just hope this isn't a 'common' problem...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.