AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would post this in the builder forum, but I think I this forum might be more approriate.

I'm in the process of building my soffet which will house my Center speaker above the screen. The screen will be mounted under the soffet, and as it is planned, the soffet will be approx 12 inches high.

Once I mount my screen, the top of the screen maybe 14-16" from the ceiling. Being that I haven't built the Soffet, I can change its dimension a little(heightwise).

Can someone tell me where to get the info on the typical height a L300U should be from the ceiling? If I buy a mount vs build a mount, what is the typical ht. Or maybe the better question is, what is the typical height a screen is from the ceiling for a L300U?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
129 Posts
my 120" screen is almost 4" from ceiling. the projector is mouted about 14' away and is situated about 3" from ceiling.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My screen is almost against the ceiling, about an inch, plus the 2 inch frame. And my AE300 is about 10 inches form the ceiling, it is perfectly square, keystones are both at 0, projector is almost perfectly level. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was there anything in the manual that explained how/where to mount it or did you just use trial and error?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Per Dennis Eskerine and others in the builders forum, above the screen is the preferred location for the center channel if you cannot put it behind.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffczyz
Per Dennis Eskerine and others in the builders forum, above the screen is the preferred location for the center channel if you cannot put it behind.
This makes absolutely no sense to me.... I've heard center channels above the screen and the sound placement seems too high... especially if you align the left and right speakers with it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wasn't going to put the left and rights at the same height. They are going at a normal level.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i based the mounting distance on their calculations. the height of the projector can be angled with the ceiling mount so it probably doesnt matter what height the projector is at as long as you can angle it to hit the screen in the proper format. i did not want the thing hanging down to low.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffczyz
I wasn't going to put the left and rights at the same height. They are going at a normal level.
This can cause problems with surround sound movies.... Imagine a scene where a car drives by from left to right. As it approaches from the left the sound will be at ear level, when the car is in front of you and on-screen the sound jumps up to the ceiling, and then as the car continues to the right and passes out of view the sound jumps back down to ear level on the right. This is especially a problem with higher frequency sounds since they are much more directional.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Jeff

From my understanding, the distance to the screen is based on screen size. There is a calculator at projectorcentral.com that will get you in the ballpark. Maybe before you permanately mount the projector you should play around abit.

As far as distance from the ceiling, it is my understanding that you use the formula "Diag of the screen in inches divided by 32" this is the distance down from the top of the screen that you lineup the center of the lens. Say you have a 92" screen, then 92/32 = 2.875". So the center of the projector lense should be 2.875" from the top of the screen. You don't want to use the keystone correction if you don't have to. This is the way it was explained to me. If I am wrong feel free to correct me! Hope it helps.

By the way they're right about the center speaker. If you want to see a great setup I suggest you look at Sayersweb's HT website. I'm using his setup as a reference. Great HT Sayer!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HT Gearhead
By the way they're right about the center speaker. If you want to see a great setup I suggest you look at Sayersweb's HT website. I'm using his setup as a reference. Great HT Sayer!
Cool! Can't wait to see pictures of how it turns out!!! Be sure to email me, I don't check this forum as often these days. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.