AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using component cables between my L300 and Pan x30.I have just read a thread about component to vga breakout cables and would like to try them.Could some l300 owner or anyone recommend a cable because I went to bluejeans cables and they have about 30 types to choose from,

Thanks ,Paul.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think the L300U only accepts RGB-HV through the VGA input. Since component doesn't have Horizontal and Vertical sync on their own channels (3 cables not 5) that means you need a VGA to component transcoder to use the VGA port for component.

A regular "break out" cable wouldn't work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, but would that not be pointless?

then again.. i'm rather new to this whole thing :D

What I do know is, getting a DVI player, or connecting a HTPC (or any PC for that matter) to the projector with a DVI cable would yield greater results :cool:

·
Registered
172 Posts
this thread has info on transcoders. the cheapest one is $46 but you have to import it from hong kong.

·
Registered
333 Posts
While the projector manufacturers reccomend RGB-HV cables, the H and V are ignored. Manufacturers reccomend these cables because they are a widely available standard. This pinout is from a Toshiba's manual, but I believe it is the standard for all projectors that accept RGB input through the VGA port. Since the 300U is supposed to accept component through the VGA port, this should work.

I made a breakout cable for mine from a $10 VGA extension cord. I took 6 crimpable pins from a radio shack 9-pin d sub connector (Less than $1.50- kept the pins threw the connector away), attached these to some cut rca patchcords,dripped a dab of solder onto each connection just to be sure, and inserted the pins into the female end of the extension cord. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Again, this is from a toshiba manual- I can't find a l300u manual online

This is ,at least, how my projector uses a breakout cable--only the R G and B are used- the rest is ignored.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffStickney

Since the 300U is supposed to accept component through the VGA port, this should work.
Unfortunately not. It only accepts RGBHV, not component (Y PB PR) on the VGA port.

3 things:

1) It's on page 59 of the manual.

2) This thread had the same question

and 3) I tried it myself out of curiosity, borrowed a breakout cable, and i get a green picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.