AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Temecula, which is about 77 miles from the Mt. Wilson towers that transmit all of the DT stations in the LA area. I installed a CM 4248 and a Winegard AP-4800 on top of my house and pointed it to 299°. Here's my problem. I'm getting EVERY LA DT station perfectly, except ABC. My signal strength meter on my Samsung SIR-TS160 reads between 77%-95% for all 13 DT stations, but nothing on ABC. Is it possible that I'm doing something wrong? Is it possible that I'm overloading my equipment with signal on ABC? Anybody have any similar problems or tips with fringe reception areas. I simply can't believe that I can receive every single DT station in my area except for a major network trasmitted from the same place. BTW, I receive KNBC-DT 4.1 at 100% and KCBS-DT 2.1 at 95%.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I live in Echo Park and have similar results: no KABC DT. KABC DT's Effective radiated power is less than some of the other local stations. It is possible the terrestrial HD receivers are unable to distinguish the lower powered signal when the adjacent channels signals are stronger. Having read the Zenith HDV420 was a more sensitive receiver I temporarily substituted my regular box only to see the same results again. Disappointed to say the least.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally posted by bgooch
I live in Echo Park and have similar results: no KABC DT. KABC DT's Effective radiated power is less than some of the other local stations. It is possible the terrestrial HD receivers are unable to distinguish the lower powered signal when the adjacent channels signals are stronger. Having read the Zenith HDV420 was a more sensitive receiver I temporarily substituted my regular box only to see the same results again. Disappointed to say the least.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to fiddle with it a bit more today and if I don't get anything, so be it. I'm already getting 13 more channels than antennaweb or my local installer said I would. :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
and I live in Fullerton, Orange County. I use CM 4228 antenna with NO preamp into DISH 811 HDTV receiver. In fact, I get 3 KABC channels 7-01, 7-02, 7-03.

I had a weak station KXLA 44 that I had to move my antenna very slightly to receive. Also, height of the antenna could be changed a little to see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After trying several ways to get the best OTA reception of DTV. I set up a "silver sensor" antenna in my attic, carefully pointed it toward Mt. Wilson using my GPS software and now these are the local Los Angeles stations, I recieve in Irvine, on my new HR10-250 HDTivo

DTV #, ID, NTSC #, HDTV, Level ,ID PSIP INFO, (Comment)

21-1, , . , , (Testing only)

31-1, KTLA, 5, Y, 92, ID= 5-1, KTLADT

31-2, KTLA, 5, Y, 92, ID= 5-2 KTLA-D2

31-3, KTLA, 5, N, 92, #

32-1, KDOC, 56, N, 88, ID= 56-1 KDOC-DT

32-2, KDOC, ---, N, 88, ID= 56-2 KDOC-SD

32-3, KDOC, ---, N, 88, ID= 56-3 #

35-1, KMEX, 34, N, 92, ID= 34-1 KMEX-DT

35-2, KFTR, 46, N, 92, ID= 34-2 KFTR-DT

36-2, KNBC, 4, Y, 90, ID= 4-1 KNBCDT

39-2, KEVA, 52, N, 90, ID= 52-1 KVEADT

41-1, KLCS, 58, N, 82, ID= 58-1 KLCS-1

41-2, KLCS, ---, N, 82, ID= 58-2 KLCS-2 (datacasting before 4PM)

41-3, KLCS, ---, N, 82, ID= 58-3 KLCS-3 (datacasting before 4PM)

41-4, KLCS, ---, N, 82, ID= 58-4 KLCS-4 (datacasting before 4PM)

41-5, KLCS, ---, N, 82, ID= 58-5 KLCS-5 (datacasting before 4PM)

42-2, KWHY, 22, N, 52, ID= 22-1 KWHYDT

43-2, KCAL, 9, N, 84 , ID= 9-1 KCALDT ( Limited hours)

48-2, KOCE, 50, N, 94, ID= 50-1 KOCEDT

48-3, KOCE, 50, N, 94, ID= 50-2 KOCEDT

48-4, KOCE, 50, N, 94, ID= 50-3 KOCEDT

49-1, KJLA, 37, N, 71, ID= 57-1 KJLA-DT

49-2, LA tv, --- N, 71, ID= 57-2 LATV

51-1, KXLA, 44, N, 45, ID= 44-1 KXLA-DT

51-2, KVMD, 23 , N, 45, ID= 44-2 KVMD-DT

53-1, KABC, 7, Y, 58, ID= 7-1 KABCDT

53-2, KABC, -, N, 58, ID= 7-2 KABCDT2 (NEWS Loop)

53-3, KABC, -, N, 58, ID= 7-3 KABCDT3 (Future Traffic & Radar Loop)

59-1, KCET-DT, -, Y, 90 ID= 28-1 KCETDT (PBS DEMO LOOP)

59-2, KCET, 28, N, 90, ID= 28-2 KCETDT2

60-1, KCBS, 2, Y, 94, ID= 2-1 KCBSDT

61-1, KSCI, 18, N, 89, ID= 18-1 KSDIDT

61-2, CCTV, - , N, 89, ID= 18-2 KSDID2

65-2, KTTV, 11, *, 88, ID= 11-1 KTTVDT (*480p wide screen)

66-1, KCOP, 13, Y, 70, ID= 13-1 KCOPDT

68-1, KCRA, 62, N, 64, ID= 62-1 KRCA1

68-2, KSDX 26, N, 71, ID= 62-2 KCRA2 (KSDX San Diego)

68-3, ------, ----, -, 71, ID= 62-3 KCRA3#

68-4, -------, ----, --, 64, ID= 62-4 KCRA4#

All channels DTV seem to be on or near Mt. Wilson

Not all station are on all the time

# Channel shows black screen only

·
Registered
252 Posts
TV channels 39, 61, 68 are on Mt. Harvard, 1 mile in front of Mt. Wilson.

TV channel 23 is on Snow Peak north of Banning

TV channel 26 will soon be on from Box Springs Mtn. SE of Riverside

All others at Mt. Wilson including.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am in Diamond Bar and see strange things with ABC also while receiving all other channels flawlessly. I have an OTA antenna on the roof and a Motorola Signal booster on my system which pegs almost all Hi-Def channels strength at 100%.

I add 7-1 every day and watch the channel without issues (although certain days it drops in and out....I am going to try to raise my antenna a bit when I get a chance). When I change channels the next day, I find that 7-1 has disappeared from my list....I add it back and am usually good for the rest of the day. I am guessing that signal strength may be causing this. I called Samsung a couple of months ago, and they said that it was probably some invalid header information that the station was sending down. (They said they saw many of instances of this at many different stations as they were coming online with HDTV). I have a hard time believing that a major market like LA could be doing this....but I have heard of stranger things.

Prior to about 6 months ago I never had this problem, but the past 6 months, 7-1 seems to fall off my list every day.

Anyone out there have trouble watching Jay Leno in HDTV and the 2 second video delay...or is it just me and my Samsung TS-160 and HLM507W DLP TV?

Ken

·
Registered
430 Posts
No, Jay looks and sounds fine to me, except for his eerie resemblence to John Kerry. Okay, his chinny resemblence! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in the walnut area. Any suggestions for a good outdoor antenna ? Unfotunately, antennaweb.org renders nothing for me in the DTV signal category for my exact street address yet, when I broaden it the locaton to 3 blocks down, it show everything available. This tells me that I maybe in a troubled area, perhaps with all the hills all around me.

I have a STB on order. It should arrive in a few days.

Any help is appreciated.

CNCjay

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I found antennaweb.org to be an unreliable site atleast for me as it practically ruled out any HDTV for me. But I went ahead & setup my STB & SS antenna & guess what: I pulled almost all the channels in. You just have to try to see what works for you & don't be discouraged by antennaweb.org.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm getting decent reception in Fullerton with a Zenith Silver Sensor, but am tempted to get something significantly more powerful to put in the attic to make wifey and myself happier. But I honestly don't know who makes a decent antenna that will work in an attic. Plus, add in my almost complete lack of mechanical accumen (I give the wife power tools for Xmas), and it's something I don't want to think about doing myself either. Anyone gota good installer they're willing to recommend in the OC area for morons like me? :)

EvilEuro

·
Registered
16 Posts
VinodK,

Thank you for your encouraging words. Actually, this was the exact reply I was looking for, that somene, despite of the results from antennaweb.org, that they tried it anyways, and it worked for them. I plan to do the same. At the moment, I'm Waiting for the STB to arrive, then get a good antenna, and start installing and experimenting.

Just wondering, what STB and antenna did you install ?

CNCjay

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
CNCjay, I am using Zenith HDV420 STB & Silver Sensor antenna sitting on my equipment rack connected to an old Radioshack amplifier lying around in the house. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Im in the Temecula area (Paseo Del Sol) and Im getting all of the LA stations near 95% signal strength. The only exception is KABC at around 75%.

Im using a CM 4228 with a 775 preamp mounted on my chimney

·
Registered
145 Posts
I live in West LA and am using an old RadioShack VHF/UHF 50 mile rooftop antenna. I had the same problem with KABC-DT. Idid some research and spoke to someone at ChannelMaster about my problem, they suggested raising my mast. I raised it between 8-12 inches and now I get KABC-DT very well.

Of course this doesn't help people with indoor antennas.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i live in sherman oaks (91411). i have the zenith hdv420 and zenith silver sensor sitting ontop of my dvd rack and can pick up CBS, NBC, WB, ABC, and FOX. the signal strength ranges from ok to good on most channels. i cannot receive upn or local independent kcal (laker games) .... but you should be able to receive ABC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My GPS is a Garmin Emap, the software called mapsource is downloaded from my computer but also runs as a map program. Therefore I used it to find Mount wilson's bearing from my house

·
Registered
15 Posts
The problem with receiving KABC-DT likely rests with the fact that it transmits on UHF channel 53. There are full-power analog stations on both adjacent channels (52 and 54).

Depending on your location and the quality of your receiver's front end, desensitization caused by fundamental overload is probably the cause of this problem.

irie,

--cap'n bob

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.