AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone can assist me in finding the optimal directional placement for my OTA to pick-up local HD broadcasts. I live in W. LA, CA (zip 90064). My antenna is placed in my attic. I'm also using it to modulate survellance camera signals over my TV (so I can see what's happening in my babies' room). Does this have the potential to conflict with the local HD broadcast signals?

I appreciate any assistance or guidance you can offer. Thanks, David

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If your antenna is already setup for analog reception, you don't need to do anything. All the digital transmitters are in the same place (on top of Mt. Wilson...). From your location, it is roughly NE to Mt. Wilson.

As long as your video transmitter is not broadcasting on UHF channels 31, 36, 43, 53, 59, 60, 65 or 66, you should be okay.

Attic installations, in SoCal can be problematic for digital reception, primarily due to roofing materials, tile roofs, etc., but you are close enough that it probably doesn't matter.

-- Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary, Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.

Pardon me if I sound like a rookie (it's b/c I am). However, a couple of points for clarification.

1. I think I have one of those antennas that's designed mostly to pick-up HD broadcasts (not analog) (Does that sound right?). Does this add' information have any bearing on your initial response to me?

2. When you say: "video transmitter is not broadcasting on UHF channels 31, 36, etc", are you referring to the surveillance cameras that I hooked-up to monitor the babies? If so, they are not on those channels; they are on 32, 38, 42, and 56.

3. I do have a spanish tile roof. Do you think I should move the antenna outdoors?

4. Finally, at certain times of the day, I can get channel 4.1 or 2.1 (and I can almost always get 34.1). However, the picture is not stable; it pixelates. Would this lead you to believe that the antenna is pointed in the right direction but that some other factor is contributing to a poor signal? Or, do you think it has to do with direction?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

David

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
1. There's no such thing as an HD-specific antenna. Most any UHF antenna will work fine, if you are close enough.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, I think you are going to have much better luck if you move the antenna outside. You only need a UHF antenna so if the one in the attic is a combo VHF/UHF unit, I'd think leaving it alone and try a smaller UHF-only model like the Zenith Silver Sensor.

4. Hard to say. Off hand, I'd say the attic is cutting down the signal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gary, thanks so much for your feedback. In your first reply, you mention that we shouldn't use 31, 36, 43, 53, 59, 60, 65, and 66. Is there any reason why we shouldn't use the channels? Thanks, David

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Those are the channels used by the LA stations for their DT broadcasts so your camera transmitter would interfere.

-- Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.