Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cowboys2002:
The Following link is from today's LA Times Tech Times section regarding DVI for HDTV...

http://www.latimes.com/technology/cu...2Dtech%5Ftimes
Not a very good article. The following is misleading:
Quote:
The cable and satellite industries also have announced plans to build encryption and digital connectors into their set-top receivers. The two leading satellite services have embraced the DVI format, while the cable industry backs both DVI and FireWire
Echostar has announced to the press that their upcoming copy-protected products will have both 1394/DTCP and DVI/HDCP outputs (as well as analog HD component video, I believe) and DIRECTV, which doesn't manufacture equipment, has announced that they're encouraging the inclusion of both interfaces by their OEM partners (though it seems unlikely that Mitsubishi, one of those partners, will include DVI on anything, given their opportunistic press rhetoric opposing it).

The article also makes it seem like DVI/HDCP is popular--there are, at my count, two upcoming 1394/DTCP-only (copy-protected-interface-wise) HD D-VHS VCRs, 8 shipping or announced 1394/DTCP-only HDTVs (the 3 Sony XBR2s, all of which seem to be shipping and the 5 soon-to-ship 2002 Mitsubishi Platinum, Platinum-Plus and Diamond Integrateds) and one 1394/DTCP-only Sony Cable STB, currently being deployed by Cablevision in the NYC area. So far as I know, there is one shipping RPTV which incorporates a DVI/HDCP interface, JVC's D'Ahlia (curiously, one of those 1394/DTCP-only HD D-VHS VCRs I mentioned before is from JVC). Beyond that, I understand that there are a few expensive DLP front projectors. Scientific Atlanta has announced support for DVI/HDCP but no specific products, giving them every opportunity to back out if no supporting displays materialize. I think that General Instruments announced support for it before Motorola bought them--the DCTxxxx STB in my living room has two inactive Firewire connectors in it.

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
152 Posts
I sent the following e-mail to Mr. Healy this morning:

Dear Mr. Healy:

Thank you for your interesting article regarding digital encryption of HDTV signals (LA Times, October 11, 2001).. As the owner of a one-year-old $6000 Pioneer elite HDTV set, I can assure you that this issue is very important to me. I must take exception with Mr. Mitch Singers of Sony Pictures statement that "...most consumers wouldn't notice the downgrading because their sets would convert the signals into simulated HDTV". This statement is completely untrue. I would say that anyone who has an HDTV set can easily tell the difference between full 1080i HDTV and downconverted 480i in an instant. My I respectfully request that in future articles about this controversy, you include an opposing viewpoint in addition to that of the motion picture studios, say from a broadcast engineer or someone who is really more knowledgeable about HDTV.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.