AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 7547 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
I mean how did you know that they had copper cooling plates and the other company didn't? What other types of questions like this did you ask?

I am considering buying something from them, not that model I don't think. For the same "clone", I want to know what kind of questions and diligence you did to decide which was best?

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkson /forum/post/20419797

I mean how did you know that they had copper cooling plates and the other company didn't? What other types of questions like this did you ask?

I am considering buying something from them, not that model I don't think. For the same "clone", I want to know what kind of questions and diligence you did to decide which was best?

I got pics of the hardware

·
Registered
21,343 Posts
that is some pretty cool homework that you have done there sir!

you've got to be pushing your luck though running potentially 7000 watts at 10hz into those drivers, no? hope you don't crash or cook them.

great pics of the insides.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/20419845

that is some pretty cool homework that you have done there sir!

you've got to be pushing your luck though running potentially 7000 watts at 10hz into those drivers, no? hope you don't crash or cook them.

great pics of the insides.

Running at 4ohms. Only 4400w per driver
I also didn't push them full out.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
How was the noise of the stock FP 14000 compared to the stock Marathon? I was just trying to find a mondo amp to replace a Crown K2 as I keep seeing the clip lights at a 2ohm load.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc /forum/post/20419945

How was the noise of the stock FP 14000 compared to the stock Marathon? I was just trying to find a mondo amp to replace a Crown K2 as I keep seeing the clip lights at a 2ohm load.

Pretty loud, if not louder. Smaller fans and more of them.

I'm working on finding replacements for them. I think I found some already. I need to create or find a tool to remove the smaller fans. It's very hard to access the lower screws on them without disassembling the entire thing, which I'd rather not do, though I may have to. I need a phillips with a 90 degree head. I'll make one if I have to, but I'm sure I can find one somewhere.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/20419477

The scary thing is, I wonder what LG has for guts that make it worth 5-6K over these?

I bet the extra cost is R&D, warranty, customer service, repair centers, having people in North America, marketing and safety testing.

If something happens to the amp don't expect them to fix it.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Upsides : Price, power output.

Downers....

No UL approval certification

No FCC approval certification

No CSA approval certification

Questionable CE certification? Could be just a fake silkscreen ( hey, it IS China )

If it is found to have caused a fire, who will be on the hook? Food for thought.

Question for Notnyt: did you match the gain to the gain of the Marathon 5050 when you say that the new amp has 6 db more output?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
These sound very interesting indeed. My EP4000 with a modded fan running two ohms stereo cuts out very quickly when running 10hz frequencies through it. Really f*** annoying.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hope you don't mind this notynt. It's older (2007) but thought I'd throw a couple vid links in your thread. Some may of missed these or find them interesting.

Behringer factory part 1
Behringer factory part 2

Sanway is located in the same province, probably also around the corner from Cannon and many other equipment manufacturers.

Good find.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 /forum/post/20420163

These sound very interesting indeed. My EP4000 with a modded fan running two ohms stereo cuts out very quickly when running 10hz frequencies through it. Really f*** annoying.

How quick, minutes or seconds?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Penngray,

Were talking I reckon about 5 minutes tops. The fan I have modded is a 34 CFM rating so not mega low. I know my dual 1 ohm drivers (my error as I was a complete noob when I got into diy) wired into 2 ohms isn't the best way to do it.

The track was opus dei and make it drop bassotronics.

If this is perfectly normal then cool I need to look at something else. I have read loads off threads where people have been knocking these tracks out without any issues and some off these are running 2 ohms. I really don't want to put the stock fan back in as its too too noisy as the amp is only 10 feet away from the LP and I can't put it anywhere else.

An amp that can run 2 ohms stable is mega bucks which I can't afford.

I am open to suggestions.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Were talking I reckon about 5 minutes tops. The fan I have modded is a 34 CFM rating so not mega low. I know my dual 1 ohm drivers (my error as I was a complete noob when I got into diy) wired into 2 ohms isn't the best way to do it.

lmao, I remember this discussion now. Those are very important details

Sorry for the OT, back to deciding if the FP14000 clone and all the risks with it are worth it.

Two things jump out. Mr. Hurds comments scare me
and the fan modification sounds complex.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Have you tried comparing the marathon on a 30 amp circuit? You're at 20 amp before the amplifier change.

·
Registered
647 Posts

Questionable CE certification? Could be just a fake silkscreen ( hey, it IS China )

What?

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Thanks again for taking the time notnyt - you put in alot of ground work for these amps, and your taking quite a leap of faith - appreciate you spilling forth all the effort to post up the info here for all to see...

Hope they last....

Reactions: GrandPixel

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz /forum/post/20420548

Have you tried comparing the marathon on a 30 amp circuit? You're at 20 amp before the amplifier change.

The marathon was running on a 30a circuit before I swapped, so yes, I compared directly before changing. Also, the marathon is fused at 20a.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd /forum/post/20420123

Upsides : Price, power output.

Downers....

If it is found to have caused a fire, who will be on the hook? Food for thought.

Question for Notnyt: did you match the gain to the gain of the Marathon 5050 when you say that the new amp has 6 db more output?

They're CE approved apparently. They at least sent me the docs for that. I didn't repost all that info since I didn't think most people would care. I have circuit diagrams as well.

I wasn't comparing sensitivity, I was comparing output before clipping, so that isn't relevant.

21 - 40 of 7547 Posts