AVS Forum banner

6361 - 6380 of 7294 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
An update: Tested the FP14K in another location and it powered up just fine. Looks like I need new RCBOs.
I was going to say contact Johnson at Sanway but you've sorted it. Strange that ALL RCBO's (called RCD only in Australia) are duds unless it was a batch of them!?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good news/bad news :D
Yup. I just ordered a new RCBO with higher rating (40A). In the process I also found out that RCBO/MCB from different brands are not necessarily interchangeable so I have to order the same brand (Square D) as the existing one.

Hopefully this will solve it. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I figured you tried it on all RCBO's available in the house as you mentioned earlier that you tried it on another circuit with the same result (ie: tripping a different breaker)?
Ahh yes I tried it on a different circuit and that RCBO also trips. They work fine on everything else - only the FP14K trips them.

When I tried the FP14K in my office with 32A MCB it powered up fine. In fact it also works in my last place which also use (a different brand of) RCBO so I don't know the exact cause of the issue.

My guess at this point is the tripping RCBO may be too sensitive to inrush current. I don't know its type but the new one being ordered is a type C which will trip (when shorted) at 5~10 times the rated current and I upped the rating to 40A just in case.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ahh yes I tried it on a different circuit and that RCBO also trips. They work fine on everything else - only the FP14K trips them.

When I tried the FP14K in my office with 32A MCB it powered up fine. In fact it also works in my last place which also use (a different brand of) RCBO so I don't know the exact cause of the issue.

My guess at this point is the tripping RCBO may be too sensitive to inrush current. I don't know its type but the new one being ordered is a type C which will trip (when shorted) at 5~10 times the rated current and I upped the rating to 40A just in case.
Just be careful, upping the breaker without taking a look a the wire or why its tripping maybe a recipe for disaster. There maybe a fault somewhere that cant be seen by the naked eye...

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Little info from today, ordered a 14k from smiths today. Price is a lot lower than a month ago when I asked, 630 before shipping so less of a premium over xbs. For some reason they recommended against their 20kq, I’m not asking about why until they ship mine. Asked about six times to make sure 110 volt.

Was very torn between this and the xbs 20kq but I’m probably going to move and no idea how long it’ll be before I get wiring etc done so this will be more flexible. Also it seems the fan mod is more likely to be safe on the 14k. Third, two 14k can be split up in different rooms if needed.

Very curious why they don’t want to sell the 20kq, guessing warranty issues or who knows what, xbs 20kq seems fine so it’s interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts

Just reporting back that replaced the RCBO today and the FP14K powered up just fine. So it's the old RCBO acting up. Time to feed the subs. :grin:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Which one?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I assumed we were still talking about the FP14k clone amps?
There's Sanway, Smiths, XBS, Bortec, etc. Which one? Not being facetious, just trying to find out if you have a preference, because some do.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The smiths and sanway are selling an enhanced version clone that has, I believe, more caps, copper heat sinks, is more likely happy at 2 ohms, and tests better. Xbs next with less caps, aluminum heat sinks, 3 ohm happy, arguably less robust. Bortec probably next, much more expensive, construction looks similar to xbs but not exactly the same, didn’t test as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The smiths and sanway are selling an enhanced version clone that has, I believe, more caps, copper heat sinks, is more likely happy at 2 ohms, and tests better. Xbs next with less caps, aluminum heat sinks, 3 ohm happy, arguably less robust. Bortec probably next, much more expensive, construction looks similar to xbs but not exactly the same, didn’t test as well.
I have an XBS FP14000. I originally had 2 and one had an issue with the VPL light flashing during normal play and XBS wouldn't warranty it. It did that right out of the box. A friend didn't car because it played fine and was huge power for him so he took it. The other is 2 years old now and works fine. It is not used in my main system but rather a small living room system.

I can take pics with the cover off if anyone has interest. It sounds like it has been looked at before by virtue of your post. I would send it to Not for testing but its likely $100 round trip and I really don't care about its output. I find it interesting that the FP22000 had such a strong review and the 14000 is presumed to be bunk.

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,380
I have an XBS FP14000. I originally had 2 and one had an issue with the VPL light flashing during normal play and XBS wouldn't warranty it. It did that right out of the box. A friend didn't car because it played fine and was huge power for him so he took it. The other is 2 years old now and works fine. It is not used in my main system but rather a small living room system.

I can take pics with the cover off if anyone has interest. It sounds like it has been looked at before by virtue of your post. I would send it to Not for testing but its likely $100 round trip and I really don't care about its output. I find it interesting that the FP22000 had such a strong review and the 14000 is presumed to be bunk.
I don't consider a failure during testing at above rated impedance and below rated output to be a strong review...

6361 - 6380 of 7294 Posts