AVS Forum banner

7361 - 7380 of 7397 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well my amp is on the other side of the wall in the garage. We watch tv all the time and I have been just leaving it on as there is no 12v input signal to turn it on and off. I might just have to turn it on and off when I need them for movies only..
There's some ideas for remote switching amps without trigger inputs here: Automatically Powering on Pro Amps via Relay (guide w/ pics)

I'm in the middle of building a 2RU case with 4 30A relays in it to power 4 x FP10000Q, triggered from the 12V output from my receiver.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That depends on what drivers you have, and what box they are in, and what song / movie is being played, and also the amount of EQ used and if a HPF is enabled, and what listening distance is required and desired SPL, and what room-nulls you have.
i.e. everyone's system will be different. One person's too-much is another's not-enough.

Generally speaking though, coil heat and over excursion kills drivers; and heat/over-powering kills amplifiers.

Red/Orange bad... Green good... LOL! 😅

If you need more power you can step up to bridged FP14k's if you think they can handle 13-16kW (or if you just want the headroom to lower amplifier stress, the downside of excessive power is dead drivers so there is a limit.)

Generally speaking: things don't like to be red-lined or over-driven. Don't do that and it should last a lifetime.

That's why I have an array of FP amps. The Fostex super's, SEOS's and mids would all be dead if I hammered on the amps because none of them are rated to handle 1.3kW per driver @ 8-ohms (which is how I have it wired).
From 70hz up, clipping is literally unpossible in my system. The drivers are the limit, not the amps. (As I explained though, that comes with increased risk, especially since I don't have any passive crossovers. It's directly attached to the output.)
The tweeters reach ear-death SPL, well before the -4db LED is even attained.
Only the subwoofers could ever think of drinking that much power.

Since I have 16 PA-460's, I hit 115db @ 2 watts at 10ft away, give or take. Yet that array is rated for 8kW (which is what I have it powered with.)
The dynamic expression is so high it is ear-bleed aggressive when cranked.

You'll be grasping your ears just like the girl in this song:
That's 130db, but still 1/20th power on the bass FP's and 1/100th power on the treble FP's.

It is nowhere near clipped and nowhere near full excursion either (the cones are barely even moving...)
The ULF is well covered too... but I must say: there is NEVER enough 1-20hz. 🙃

We all have to fill our addictions in our own ways...
Maximum adrenaline + testosterone, so many chemicals, it's amazing we can even function at-all... :D
I can only imagine what your system must be like! head phones definitely do not do it justice.

I'm only running 2 SI HST-18 D2 in 21x21x21 sealed boxes. They are ran through my XMC-2 and crossed over at 80hz I also used Dirac to cut a peak down and flatten the curve. These hit hard to me when pushed. I'm impressed and I have no doubt your system is ear bleeding.

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
Would this be a good amp for 4 PA-460s? Obviously more power than they can handle but easy enough to dial it back.
FB-6KQ High End Audio Stereo Amplifier 4 Channal

Edit: nevermind
Once you factor in shipping and import from China, the difference in price is so small that you might as well just get the 10k. It's more vetted because it is more common. Besides it's always best to have a bit of headroom, double the watts is only a 3db headroom advantage but it keeps the amps cool-er.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
I just bought a fp20000q from the loud factory. Needed an extra one since I am getting the other subs up and running finally.

Will see how it goes when I get it.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Hey, @N8DOGG, let me know how it goes with the Loud Factory amp as that's one I'm looking at!
I've been flip flopping on what to get cause I only need 1 more channel. You reminded me that they existed last week! Lol.
They have been super responsive and if it's good (I'm sure it will be) I might grab another and another fp14000.

As long as it's not Speaker Power, I will be happy lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
@N8DOGG, I've emailed them a handful of times and they always respond quickly which is never a bad thing, lol. I actually found them on Ebay, I searched for PLM20000Q and those came up under related items. They even sent me a couple pictures of the inside (although I do know how easy it'd be for them to find images online and send them too)

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
As long as it's not Speaker Power, I will be happy lol.
What happened to your SP experience?

I still dont have an adequate amp for my subs but will probably buy a pair or more of something for future builds. I liked SP but thats on paper as I have never had one in my hands. Then they went up in price so ya. :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've considered making a thread asking if anyone has experience with The Loud Factory amps...are there any rules against doing that?

are they as robust as the XBS version?
This is one of the emails I received from them:
"Hi there, the FP20000Q would be well suited to power your subwoofers ... currently (granted my subs are 21s) I have 4 powered by an FP10000Q so the 20 should have no issue. Our amplifiers are made specifically by us to our specifications. They are the best clones on the market ... better than sanway or sinbosen."

And I asked about warranty:
"
We have a 2 year warranty on all of our amplifiers. That being said these things are bulletproof and very rarely have issues. If for whatever reason you have an issue we handle all expenses that arrise thru shipping or replacement. Lastly living in the US there will be a small amount of duty on the amplifier but when we ship we mark the value very low so sometimes (depending on the state) they don't even charge the duty. Usually if there is duty it isn't more than $25 ... there are no other taxes on the item.

I just sent them an email this morning about a promo code and received this within 20 minutes received this:

"Unfortumately no promo codes are available at the moment! That being said if you decide to purchase an amplifier I will talk to management and get an AVS promo code going that you can share within the AVS community and will apply that to your order once it gets approved (takes about a day for the codes to activate on the system)."

It's a crapshoot...just need to decide if I want to be one of the first testers 😂

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was originally dead set on buying SP amp(s) for my four HS-24's until I read some posts in a couple different threads that are making me a little hesitant. One thread is this SkHorn thread, post 743 to 747. I know this was over a year ago and I'm sure the number of SP amps that have problems are a small percentage...but it's a decent chunk of change too. I'll let @N8DOGG share his experience with SP whether on here or through PM.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
are they as robust as the XBS version?
From the looks of the pics they sent me, they take the xbs and add much better caps and capacitors. They should be a solid upgrade over the XBS versions.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Does it have two power supplies?

·
Registered
19,529 Posts
This could very well be a great option. Of course the only way to know for sure is have Notnyt test it.

7361 - 7380 of 7397 Posts