AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently building out my first HTPC setup. I'm a Mac addict and decided the new Mac Mini server would be the units in the living room and master bedroom. These will be upgraded to 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 750GB HDD (spare mac parts on hand). I'm on pre-order for two Ceton InfiniTV 4USB tuners. I'll be running Windows 7 64-bit, WMC, Media Center Master, Media Browser, Shark007 codec pack. I'll be using Logitech DiNovo Mini's as blue tooth remotes. I put together a test build of the software and I'm very satisfied.

I really like the look of the Mac Mini and the server model is great for encoding.

I went with dual Ceton's over a 6-tuner HDHR Prime because I'm concerned about network problems. These boxes will be replacing Comcast DVRs. We came from U-verse with 4 HD streams and the wife that limiting. Comcast with 2 max recordings is bad. Not to mention the boxes continuously crash and miss recording. I'm hoping to build more reliable and capable setup. Must look good for the wife to accept.

The lacking component is mass storage for a long recording history or digital access of our DVD / Blu-ray collection. The internal 750GB HDDs will support us right now if I restrict the recording space to 500GB per HTPC (plus keep 20% free for drive performance).

I am currently looking at the LaCie 4big Quadra because it maintains the "look" and is whisper quiet. It basically could pass for a subwoofer. I am planning on connecting through FW800.

Please give me feedback on the build and if the Quadra would even work.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Seems to me like you're spending way, way too much on hardware for what you're getting. Looks like those Mac Minis alone would be $3200 ($1599 each for 8GB and 256GB SSD config).

You could get the same or more horsepower and storage for a lot less than that.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Mac Minis split the 4 USB ports in pairs. This has been tested. Either way, I'm putting a tuner on each Mini to avoid network issues. I may share two tuners with the main, depends on how network performance pans out.

The SSDs and HDDs are collecting dust (late 2010 and early 2011 MacBook and iMacs upgraded, original plan was for SSD in thunderbolt enclosures, but we all know where thunderbolt peripherals stand). So the actual cost would be for base server models only (2 X $972). Really hooked on the look of the Mini and if this exercise fails they will revert to being home servers.

Thank you for the feed back. I am going to research if the FW and USB are combined on the same channel. Other Macs in the house seem to be separate based on file copy test.

So would the LaCie 4big work as a device itself for recording / play back of Live TV and Blurays (in H.264 MP4s)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.