AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked one of these up as a simple kid vid player for my son, so that he could use it unsupervised.

Supposedly it plays MP4, Divx and Xvid, so I encoded some test videos using CloneDVDMobile (which offers all those formats). No matter what I do, I can't get the thing to show video. I tried both using component cables and using HDMI. I tested the jpeg and mp3 functionality, and both work fine through the TV.

Put in a ticket a Lacie.com, but slow response and no useful info yet.

The documentation is sparse, so does anyone here know if there's some trick to getting video to play on this thing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since nobody here seems to know or care, I'll post my findings.

Realizing that the specs/documentation for the Lacinema were wrong, I've been trying everything I can think of.

It will NOT play any of the formats the manual says it will play: Divx, Xvid, MP4. Maybe there are variations of those formats that will work, but nothing that I've tested plays.

I went back to basics and tried VCD MPEG-1 and... it played! So I tried SVCD MPEG-2 and it played too. On a roll now, I renamed a VOB to MPG and it also played.

So, fired off a note to tech support asking for the REAL format compatibility list. This sort of vast screwup is pretty incredible for a company the size of Lacie.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts