AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no ties to LaCie but I thought some folks here may be interested in LaCie's "LaCinema Premiere" hard drive that will become available in February. It comes in three capacities with the 500 GB unit selling for $250.

It plays HD video via component outputs to an HDTV and also is a regular USB 2.0 hard drive. I believe it will play HD MPEG 2 files. So here may be a device where I can capture the HD TS streams from my DVR, convert them to MPEG and play them on HDTV with no re-encoding required.

The interface is similar to LaCie's former Silverscreen which was built around a portable 2.5" USB 2.0 hard drive.

Here is the link to LaCie.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I really want to see what the GUI is like. Cover art? Doubt it but still seems like a good deal.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I've read about this in a few places, and all the references to HD were to upconversion, not native HD sources. The user manual doesn't make it clear, but I don't think this can play HD native MPEG2, just 480p upconverted. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If it could handle HD material, I might need to start saving for one.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assayer /forum/post/12889567

I've read about this in a few places, and all the references to HD were to upconversion, not native HD sources. The user manual doesn't make it clear, but I don't think this can play HD native MPEG2, just 480p upconverted. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If it could handle HD material, I might need to start saving for one.

Thinking more about it I believe you are correct that it won't play an HD MPEG 2 file. There is mention of upscaling but nothing regarding HD sources.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
there are other products that do real HD playback and output such as tvix,

you can find them discussed elsewhere in this website,

but their price is not 250$

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The LaCie LaCinema looks like it MIGHT solve one of my needs. I want to record OTA ATSC (720p) programs using a Hauppauge WinTV HVR 950 on a computer at one location. Then, play the recordings to a 720p front projector at another location which does NOT have a computer. As the program duration might be 3 hours, I'd reformat the LaCie disk to NTFS.

The files saved by the Hauppauge are MPEG2, but a flavor which is not compatible with all players. (VLC and WinDVD work, but Windows Media Player doesn't work.) I've not yet gotten a reply to my second very detailed email which wondered if the files would be compatible.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson /forum/post/13609811

The files saved by the Hauppauge are MPEG2, but a flavor which is not compatible with all players.

After a bit more experimentation, I find that the SD MPEG2 files recorded by the Hauppauge ARE compatible with quite a few players, even including my Philips DVP-5982 DivX DVD player on a data disk or in its USB port.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts