AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lot of discussion about HDCP ultimately making non HDCP compliant devices obsolete. But I wonder if it really matters for an EDTV (852X480) plasma.

As I understand it when the HDCP query process fails, the source device will downres its output to 480p. But since that is all an EDTV plasma can display anyway, it won't affect the image quality at all.

The specific application I am considering is the Gateway 42" EDTV plasma. It has a DVI input, but HDCP is not supported. It seems that it really won't matter that it is not HDCP compliant as it will happily display the downresd 480p signal, right?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
As at some point all boxes with DVI will output it with HDCP - it would make the DVI input obsolete on the Gateway. However, as you stated, it is only a 480p display. Therefore, the component outputs/inputs with 480p would still work fine. You would just loose the all digital pathway.

I particularly wouldn't worry about the loss of DVI too much on an ED but you will have some that see a real difference with all digital paths.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Some devices will just refuse to output DVI if HDCP is not present -- versus downrezzing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.