AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is the Chairman of the FCC not going after FOX and NBC about their lack of HDTV programming. The manufacturers are making great strides with their new sets and those two channels listed above Zilch. We are talking about 25 hours per week of HDTV. Why should the average consumer go out and spend a small fortune to view so little HDTV. I think we should all e. mail the chairman of the FCC. I have never seen anything in print from that office asking those networks to comply immediately. What does everyone think, should we e. mail him.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
In-Laws

Frasier

ED

Hidden Hills

The Tonight Show With Jay Leno

Law & Order

ER

Law & Order SVU

American Dreams

Law & Order: Criminal Intent

Boomtown

Crossing Jordan

Soon to be Conan

And lets not forget:

NBC teamed up with HDNet and offered the Winter Olympics and the Triple Crown of Horse Racing in HDTV

Now I totally agree with you on Faux, but NBC has kinda stepped up to the plate this year.

Fred

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
We may not like FOX's chosen path, but - and correct me if I'm wrong, because I just might be - I believe FOX Widescreen is one of the 18 approved digital formats. And if it is, they aren't doing anything (besides pissing us off) that would demand the FCC come down on them.

As for the attack on NBC, you're way off base there. Yes, I'd like The West Wing, Friends and Scrubs in HD, but they are definitely making strides.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, the bottom line is the major networks are showing a paltry 25 to 28 hours for the entire week between them.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LINDELLTOM
94 views and 4 are concerned enough to reply, amazing.
I think most realize there is little that can be done and also that things have gotten a lot better recently. Additionally, there is lots to look forward to in the very near future, including the Superbowl in HD, Monday Night Football next season in HD, a new stadium for the Phila. Eagles (whoops, I digress), ESPN in HD in 2003, continued pot-shots at FOX for 480p widescreen, and probably a lot more regular network (big 3) programming in HD.

So, yes there is not enough HD programming at present for the tastes of us nuts who go to Internet forums about HDTV, but there is major progress and there has been progress.

Eric

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
It's only been 4 years since HDTV started, and there are less than 1 million households capable of viewing HDTV vs the 100 mil or so households with NTSC sets. Given that, in my view, there's quite a lot to watch.

Things are only getting better. I'm willing to wait and enjoy what I can, while realizing that HDTV is still in the "early adopter" phase.

Personally, I'm not even pissed at Fox. Yeah, it sucks that they have the NFL, but I'll be curious to see if the get creamed ratingswise in a few years when everyone else is showing HD, and they're still pushing "High Resolution Widescreen." It's an interesting experiment, if nothing else.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I read and wasn't going to reply, but since you insist......

I don't find any lack of HD programming, often there is more than I can watch. I haven't broke down a picked up a HI PIX card yet so I can't record the HD programming that is on against other HD content. I'm not a big sports fan so I won't get into that discussion, but all of ABC and CBS's filmed programming isn't enough for you? Even when you factor in all the NBC stuff that was posted earlier? Add in the WB programming and that isn't enough? How about we add HBO and Showtime? Still not enough? How about adding 18 hours a day of HDNET? Some people are never satisfied.

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
I have to largely agree with Matt L. A quick check of TitanTV.com for my Houston viewing area indicates 30 hours of HD programming on ABC, CBS, and NBC between 7 PM and 10 PM CST for the week of 12/1 through 12/7. Add in the starting hour (6-7 PM) of Wonderful World of Disney, the starting 2 hours (5-7 PM) of the SEC Championship game, and five nights of Leno, and you have a total of 40.5 hours of evening programming in HD on the "major" networks, not to mention what's on WB, HBO HD, and HDNet.

I would have to say I am one of those still not satisfied with the amount of HD sports programming, but at least that stands to improve in 2003 with Monday Night Football and ESPN HD.

·
Registered
506 Posts
There is finally "enough" HD programming for me to make the jump (HD200 for OTA and D*). Obviously, we will always want more HD content and should receive it during 2003.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I think that since many New TV sets are "HD Capable" and many Cable TV companies are begining to offer HDTV locals. That 2003 will be the big jump that has been building up.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Count your blessings, you could live in Phoenix where half of the programming is missing because of the (explative deleted) CBS affiliate not transmitting HDTV.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I see it's time to trot this one out again.

Here is the official position of the FCC as stated in the Fifth Report and Order, in which the rules governing the obligations of broadcasters toward DTV are spelled out.

Quote:
41. Decision. Our decisions today, and our previous adoption of the DTV Standard, give broadcasters the opportunity to provide high definition television programming, but we decline to impose a requirement that broadcasters provide a minimum amount of such programming and, instead, leave this decision to the discretion of licensees.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Who's going to pay for it? Seattle didn't get one minute of HD sports yesterday, yet I'm still grateful for the HD that's available to us despite the fact that I haven't paid for a single piece of HD equipment not in my own home.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
LINDELLTOM,

Since you asked for replies I'll give you my opinion. I think people who want the government to mandate better high end toys for them are showing an extreme amount of selfishness. I'm hooked on HDTV, but not enough to cloud my judgement as to where the importants of this issue stands for our nation. I'm not going to email people in the government asking them to make more windy roads where I can have some fun with a sportscar or mandating that all restaurants make higher end meals. While I don't support what FOX is doing and choose to ignore most of their programming, it is still beyond me how they are harming people to the point that they need to be slapped.

If the average consumers over the next few years buy sets that 'only' display the number of pixels on a DVD, it isn't like that is doing harm. There are always people who will buy the higher end sets.

--Darin

·
Registered
251 Posts
Can anyone clarify the FCC mandate? Does it require HDTV or just DTV? If it is just DTV, then FOX (or anyone else) is not deserving of a slapping.

Are we expecting every niche station to go to HDTV broadcasting? Do we really need to see QVC's latest selection of Diamonique® in HD? I bet those old Leave It To Beaver reruns will be great in HD! I cannot wait to see the healing on the religious channel(s) in HD.

I think if DTV is the FCC mandate, then any HDTV we receive is a gift. HDTV might be looked at as something the major networks have over the small niche channels. Either way, I will still watch what I like.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Whatever happened to the quest for technical excellence in this country? I'm glad the current owners of certain local stations weren't there when color TV was introduced. We'd still be watching I Love Lucy quality pictures.

I actually think there is a compelling reason for HDTV to flourish, the people watching obviously have enough money to buy a pretty expensive TV set and are therfore the desired demographic for the products being advertised. I know I've never watched as much network TV in last 5 years as when I got a HDTV and STB tuner. I don't like the govt mandating anything either, but since they mandated DTV why not HDTV at the same time. I think technology caught up faster than they originally predicted.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The demographic may not be as convented as one would think. First, it is a really small group and the group may not everyone in the group may have the deep pockets (or extra cash) as you might think. I hang out on several AV/HT/HD forums and many people are not all that affluent.

I think the DTV was a bandwidth (saving) issue and HDTV would do nothing to enhance that issue. Did the FCC mandate color TV? How about FM Stereo? (Is there a mono FM station on the air anywhere in the US?) FM Broadcasters moved there but it was gradual as stereo receivers became more common and the cost of providing stereo was reduced.

I also think there is a lack of technical expertise in the television broadcast industry that might be hampering the efforts too. Even the engineers that post on this forum sometimes give the impression that their efforts are lots of trial and error and sometimes a little luck.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.