AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have notices that most PRTV HDTV makers do not like to post any real specs about thier units on the web. Most of them like to leave it to the 2-svideo, 1 rca, 1 set of comp, and the box is 60" inches wide and 56" inches tall.

Does anyone know of a REAL site that takes all the current models (and heck new ones) and gives the REAL specs of the units?

I just don't trust the local sales people around here. I had one tell me today that all sony HDTV's now do full HDTV res. (1900/1080) with there 7" crt's.... We know that is not the case.

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
755 Posts
This is one of those issues discussed to death in the forum. Do a search on resolution and see what comes up.

There was one thread in which someone actually measured resolution on several common HD RPTV's.

The simple answer, though, is there isn't any one place that gives you the information. Except for very high end equipment, not one company publishes actual resolution.

I remember reading an article in which someone point blank asked a Sony, I think V.P., what the resolution was of their direct view set and he avoided answering.

Right now, only DLP's and Plasma sets generally have that information widely available.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeff43:

There was one thread in which someone actually measured resolution on several common HD RPTV's.
Believe this December thread ,(LB's contribution), is what's referred to. He cites an independent study and explains briefly.

My own theory is that it would take an advertisement-independent organization or publication such as Consumer Reports to reveal this crucial spec. (Needless to say, contrast, brightness, color fidelity, etc. are important, too, but there's no need to say that.) Suspect revealing measured resolution specs would result in pulled ads, and publishers/editors don't want to chance it. Yesterday I scanned the cover-story review of "Toshiba's New HDTV" (56H80) in the July/August "The Perfect Vision." In the 3.5 pages there are gray-scale plots and 'specs' but no resolution given. There is mention of a 0.72-mm-pitch lenticular screen, which says something to those who like to crunch the numbers.

As I suggested elsewhere, it would be an enormous service by ISF members, equipped with the right test equipment, to measure resolution data on the many sets they see, after tweaking them, then publish the data on the Internet. Better yet, snap test-pattern screen images and publish them. Such images have appeared in engineering publications for decades, so there's no excuse that you can't capture any distinct transition points where alternating black-and-white lines appear to merge (the resolution limit). In effect, that's saying you can't measure resolution. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Toshiba sets were absent from LB's chart in that thread, so I asked him for Toshiba figures, and he replied that for 1920x1080i input and the same test as in that thread, a Toshiba 56H80 tested as having 875 lines of horizontal resolution (45% of input resolution), in sharp contrast (no pun intended) with Toshiba's claim of 1600 lines of horizontal resolution (83% of input resolution.) Standards are needed!

Sony is one of the few manufacturers that avoid specifying a resolution. You can find a statement on their website that they won't list a resolution, because there is no standard.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, Cybermail, SD-M1201 DVD, IRMan, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer

nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.