AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a lack of sound in star wars episode 2 where Obi wan is flying through the asteroid field and Jango is firing missiles at him- there seems to be a pause, like a sound cut out, and then the large bang from the explosion. I noticed the same thing with return of the king when the green flame flies into the sky as the witch king emerges- does anyone know what is happening here? Is it supposed to be a large amount of deep bass the theaters simply can't reproduce?

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Didn't notice this in Return of the King, but in Star Wars Episode 2 it's definitely done on purpose to make the explosion have more impact (going from complete silence to something loud).

Thought it was (about the only) thing that was kinda neat about the entire SW Ep.2 movie!

Kal

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Uh, the sound mix for SW2 was meant to be like that.

·
Registered
546 Posts
It was meant to be like that in both cases. The sound cuts out for effect and to make the following explosion/noise more impactful.

In ROTK, it looks like everything is getting sucked up right before the signal is launched, so the sound fits.

Works beautifully in both cases IMO.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Exactly. In Return of the King, I took it to be a sort of 'gathering of energy before the big release.

In Star Wars, it was an illustration of depth. Like, you see the explosion before you're overwhelmed by the sound.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AlexSchievink
Yeah, but in both cases it sounds pretty fake
Fake? What exactly is your basis of comparison?? I've never had a 'witch king' emerge on me as I wandered around Middle Earth before so I personally don't know what it's supposed to sound like!

I do agree on the asteroid chase in Star Wars however - there shouldn't have been any sound at all: It's in space!

:)

Kal

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
It's intentional in both and well done.

In Episode II, it's meant to convey the fact, I think, that the gravity bomb sucks everything into it (including sound) before it blows. Of course it's pretty silly since, in space, no one can hear you scream. But hey, if all the space sequences had no sound they'd be pretty dull.

In ROTK it's obviously meant for effect as well, but we'll have to wait for the director's commentary to know.

In both cases, I think it's meant to mimic the sound of an atom bomb. The bomb survivors described a huge flash of white light with no sound at all for several seconds. The sound didn't come until the shockwave hit. Which of course makes sense, the light travels much faster than the sound. Or like seeing a lighting bold several seconds before the thunder. Same idea. But something about the bomb's detonation made the air stop, I guess, before the sound of the shockwave hit. So anyway it's a dramatic effect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.