AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

after a lot of reading, I finally decided that I was ready (I think I'll never really be ready...) and started designing my own version of a home theater. I'll try to keep this thread updated as the work progress.

Room equipment

Here is a list of stuff currently installed in the room mixed with a few items I'm planning to buy eventually when the room will be finished (a nice motivation to help me finish this room "in time"!).
  • Denon AVR-2808CI
  • Tannoy Mercury F4 Custom loudspeakers
  • Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom surround
  • Yamaha NS-C120 center speaker
  • SVS PC12-Plus subwoofer
  • Panasonic PT-AX200U projector
  • Grandview tab-tension motorized screen 120in
  • Sony Playstation 2
  • Sony Playstation 3
  • Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD PVR
  • Harmony 1100 remote

Design and plan

Here is a 3D rendering using Google SketchUp of what the room will look like (always changing plan of course!)

2D plan of the room, still need to add lighting.

The original room (we've been using it for a year and a half so far, watching movies and stuff...)

Drop down screen location

Entrance to the room

Seating location

The construction process

Ducts

First thing I did was replacing two metal ducts with flexible ducts.
Before

After

Soundproofing plan

After that, I talked to John Hile from Soundproofing Company (great service, great guy) and ordered 70 Whisper Clips and 3 pails of Green Glue. To save on cost and also because an 80% solution is good enough for me, I decided (after talking with John) that the ceiling will done using 1-pc WhisperClips and double drywall/Green Glue, but the walls won't be clipped. Only GG + 2 x drywall. Obviously, everything will be insulated using Roxul Safe&Sound.

Whisper Clips

Then was time to start installing those clips and hat channels. To save some precious ceiling heights, I decided to go ahead and use the "blocking" scheme described by John. With this, I only "lose" 1/2 inch, which is pretty nice.

Framing

Most of the framing was done using 2"x3"s and 1"x3"s, except for the new wall which was done using 2"x4"s.

Soffits

New wall for the future bathroom

Soundproofing

First layer of drywall done on the new wall. That wall has been filled with Roxul insulation, and I'm in the process of filling the soffits. You can also see the Lutron Spacer System 2-gang box (another 2-gang box is located on the next wall) with a Remote Master control box. I love those things and they are much cheaper than a Grafik Eye. Really happy with them so far.

The entire ceiling has been filled with 2 layers of Roxul. I could have put 3 layers, but I thought leaving an air gap of about 3 inches would do better having a "packed" 3rd layer.

I went through a lot of those!

I've also installed a network of PVC pipes to be able to easily fish some cables if need be. All the pipes end in my equipment rack located under the staircase.

Note the installation of a solid-core door, which made a big difference.

In order to keep some air flow within the room when the door is closed, I connected a 5 inch elbow to the existing air return and I will install a grill behind the door. When the door is open, air will flow from the staircase.

25% completion reward

That room takes forever to build. I knew that before I even got started because all the threads I've read on this forum shared the same line: it takes forever! When I started, I said to myself that I would buy my subwoofer when I'm done, like some kind of reward... Well, I don't know if it is because I think that I work hard enough, or if I'm afraid I'll never have the chance to buy that subwoofer, but I decided that 25% completion was well worth a subwoofer! ;-p After a few emails with SVS Sound, I bought an amazing SVS PC12-Plus. That thing rocks, and it is huge!

I'm 5' 10" and I'm standing beside the PC12... That thing has 3 long ports!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Double drywall is finished (walls and ceiling)

Heated floor base is installed (300 sq. ft. covered with heated wiring, spaced by 2.5 in, and covered with a self-leveling concrete overlay). That self-leveling concrete is awesome, especially in a basement. It will make installing those tiles so much easier and the final result should be nice.

Brazilian slate tiles are installed and sealed. Before applying the sealant, they had no gloss what so ever and I really liked that since I didn't want them to reflect light from the projector. I chose a low-gloss sealant to bring down the reflection to a minimum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(Reserved for future use...)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(Reserved for future use......)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Looks like a good start!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Framing is almost finished, so I need to get focus and lay down a plan for lighting. I have a few ideas, but I'm very open to suggestions. Here is what I have in mind:

I'd love to get a Grafik Eye, but the installation is scaring me a bit... If I do get one, I would have 3 zones:

- red

- green: wall sconces

- blue: seating lights

Missing are riser embedded lights and light for rack equipment.

First of all, I'm afraid that 4 sconces (2 on each wall) maybe too much, and they would be too close to the screen and too close from each other. I would really used them for ambiance, so I'm debating 4 vs 2...

For the recessed lights, I don't know if I have enough. Are only two for the seating area enough? Those would be on when the room is in "bar mode", when me and my friends are watching a hockey or football game.

The track light in the bar area would be controlled separately with its own dimmer.

Anyhow, I'm really looking for second opinion here, so feel free to comment!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a few months, time for an update:

- Insulation is done

- PVC pipes are installed to run cables

- Air return is done

- Subwoofer is purchased and kickin

.... and some more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every time I post on this thread, I always get the "OLD THREAD WARNING!!!" box which I think is there to remind me how slow this build project really is! lol

Since last update, I have finished the drywall, installed the heated floor and tiles. Walls are primed and room is now usable and comfortable (heated floor is keeping my feet warm, especially during our Canadian winter).

Next tasks are the baseboards and building the cabinets in the bar. Should take another 6 months! ;-p

·
Registered
380 Posts
Very nice, clean build.

Have you given any thought to acoustic treatments? With that tile floor and your room dimensions I'd imagine that the space is very "live".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it is "live" like you say. My plan is to install panels to reduce sound reflection. But I'll wait until everything is in place.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
A thick area rug would probably help quite a bit, for starters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.