AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am trying to play .mkv files on my samsung R560 laptop. (2gig processor, 4gb ddr3 ram)

But am getting a lot of lag. I am trying to play these through the latest version of VLC player.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brett.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
What graphics chip is in the laptop and how much memory does it have allocated?

By lag do you mean out of synce audio and video or do you mean dropping video frames and/or stuttering?

What is the resolution of the files you are playing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15448019

What graphics chip is in the laptop and how much memory does it have allocated?

By lag do you mean out of synce audio and video or do you mean dropping video frames and/or stuttering?

What is the resolution of the files you are playing?

It is stuttering.

It has a GForce Nvidia 9600M GS graphics chip however I do not know how to see how much memory it has alocated.

Thanks

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Make sure you have the latest drivers from the Nvidia webssite and the latest drivers for the audio chip.

Again what is the resolution of the video clips that you are trying to play?

Also what is the resolution of the laptop display that you are playing them on.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a setting issue or driver issue.I play 720p and 1080p with my 1.5 gateway laptop,and this is with integrated video.gma 3100.No problems whatsoever.I would also suggest ac3 filter and coreavc.

brickie

·
Registered
912 Posts
Not all .mkv files are created equal. There three factor that will determine how much cpu power you will need.

1. Resolution

2. Bitrate

3. Encoded within specs (DXVA support) or not.

A 15 Mbps 1080p h264 encode will bring my x2 5400+ to its knees if not encoded with hardware decoding in mind.

Since your laptop does not support hardware decoding you will always have to worry about resolution and bitrate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts