AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a store that sells separate projector bulbs for half the price of a new lamp module. I'm wondering if this is a safe way to replace an old lamp. They say the bulbs are the original ones the same used by the projector manufacturer. They also say replacing the bulb on the module is an easy task. Am I running any risk of damaging the projector or having a fire doing so? Has anyone any experience with this? I'll be happy to hear about it.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
There is no danger of fire, but you run the risk of them being less than truthful about it being the EXACT bulb specified. And the wrong bulb can do one of a couple of things..it can burn hotter and damage optical components or it can have the wrong electrical parameters and only last a few hundred hours.

These forums are full of reports from people who have been "burned" by trying to save a few bucks. YOU have to be 1000% sure it is the SAME bulb called for by the projector manufacturer, don't trust the seller. I once saw an ad from a seller who had a lamp listed and claimed it was "compatible" with a long list of projectors, I checked just a few of those and could see he was lying.

And don't rely on the appearance, many bulbs may look the same, but have very different specs. "Generics" or so-called "compatibles" usually aren't.

Now, having said all that, there are those here who have been successful, whether through dumb luck or they did their due diligence and made sure that what they bought was correct. It can be done, but the risk is on you.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 /forum/post/20862013

There is no danger of fire, but you run the risk of them being less than truthful about it being the EXACT bulb specified. And the wrong bulb can do one of a couple of things..it can burn hotter and damage optical components or it can have the wrong electrical parameters and only last a few hundred hours.

These forums are full of reports from people who have been "burned" by trying to save a few bucks. YOU have to be 1000% sure it is the SAME bulb called for by the projector manufacturer, don't trust the seller. I once saw an ad from a seller who had a lamp listed and claimed it was "compatible" with a long list of projectors, I checked just a few of those and could see he was lying.

And don't rely on the appearance, many bulbs may look the same, but have very different specs. "Generics" or so-called "compatibles" usually aren't.

Now, having said all that, there are those here who have been successful, whether through dumb luck or they did their due diligence and made sure that what they bought was correct. It can be done, but the risk is on you.

Good post and I agree.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 /forum/post/20862013

Ok thanks for that info. I will see if I can find out more about the bulbs they sell. Btw it's an actual shop and not some add on ebay, and that shop is specialized in projector lamps (not that it really matters). They offer for my projector unit different options, one being the module and then 2 bulbs: one is generic the other is a Philips original bulb without housing. The price between both bulbs isn't that high. They claim that most bulbs are manufactured by companies such as Philips, Sharp, Osram, Ushio and others.

I have some homework to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.