AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the board and have a problem I am looking for some help with. Not sure if this in in right place so bear with me.
I have an Epson 8350 Home Theater Projector. It is about 6-7 years old. Just replaced the lamp twice with 2 new lamps and they are both very dim. Picture is fine, but cannot get even near bright enough.
Epson said problem could be in power or circuit board and I need to take to a service center. Can anyone help any with this or point me in the right direction? Thanks

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Did you replace the lamps with OEM genuine directly from Epson with Epson serial # on them or some compatible lamps from a 3rd party? If their genuine then the lamp blast would be a possible cause but problems in the optical engine could also be the culprit. Generally if you can't find the fix your self it most likely would cost too much to fix.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you replace the lamps with OEM genuine directly from Epson with Epson serial # on them or some compatible lamps from a 3rd party? If their genuine then the lamp blast would be a possible cause but problems in the optical engine could also be the culprit. Generally if you can't find the fix your self it most likely would cost too much to fix.
I used an aftermarket lamp (2 of them) and they did the same thing.
Is there something else I could replace easily to see if that helps? Where is best place to get those parts?
Thansk so much for helping.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have had the best luck replacing the bulb in the original housing. I bought after market housings with oem (Philips) bulbs. Both of the housings had issues. The bulbs were fine. I disassembled the original and new housings and swapped the bulbs and no issues. It is marginally cheaper to just purchase an oem bulb and replace it in the housing. In my case there was a video on youtube showing how to it and it is not a mainstream projector.

Say all you want about buying from the manufacturer, at the end of the day it is just a bulb in a housing. The bulbs are made by a handful of companies. Get the same bulb from the same OEM company and you are out $90 and have the same quality/performance as the original.

If you have replaced the bulbs with OEM bulbs in the original housings and you still have a dimness issue then it is likely electronics in the projector. Unless you are skilled in electronics repair it is probably cheaper to buy a new projector.

My $.02

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had the best luck replacing the bulb in the original housing. I bought after market housings with oem (Philips) bulbs. Both of the housings had issues. The bulbs were fine. I disassembled the original and new housings and swapped the bulbs and no issues. It is marginally cheaper to just purchase an oem bulb and replace it in the housing. In my case there was a video on youtube showing how to it and it is not a mainstream projector.

Say all you want about buying from the manufacturer, at the end of the day it is just a bulb in a housing. The bulbs are made by a handful of companies. Get the same bulb from the same OEM company and you are out $90 and have the same quality/performance as the original.

If you have replaced the bulbs with OEM bulbs in the original housings and you still have a dimness issue then it is likely electronics in the projector. Unless you are skilled in electronics repair it is probably cheaper to buy a new projector.

My $.02
I do not have the originial housing. The bulb had busted and glass was all over it. I can replce the bulb in the new houseing have with a better bulb? How much is a good bulb and where can I get them?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
B&H photo sells the original lamp for $235. Epsons of that model were very picky and only the original lamps are recommended.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The other lamps were $20.
Obviously I hate to spend that much notknowing if that is the issue. I don't see any other way around it though, do you?
A few clarifications:

1) You have tried 2 new lamps each with its own housing, and both are dim? It's unlikely that the cause is the housing or the lamp, even if both were second-hand.

2) This was after the previous bulb exploded?

3) Did you throw away the housing in which the bulb exploded? Having shards of glass inside isn't a problem unless the housing is broken too. If it isn't broken, it can be cleaned up and you can replace the bulb. I've done it myself after a bulb exploded, and it's not very difficult, although it requires some skill. I've never bought expensive, seller recommended, bulbs. In fact, mine came directly from cheap chinese sellers, and they work like a charm. Although I admit their lumen output isn't as high as the original E-TORL models from Epson. Anyway, the point is that there are other lamps compatible with your projector. If you want there are plenty of sellers on eBay from whom you can buy new such lamps including housing for a lot less than the official sellers, and those should work too.

4) If the problem is the lamp ballast (that big metal block with round holes behind the lamp), it costs around $160. Usually, it is easier to get a used projector with a good ballast to take that and/or other parts from. The way that projector is built it is relatively easy to replace parts, because whole parts can be removed as if they were modules.

5) If the projector still has a good image (without colour spots or lines and such), then I don't think you should buy a new one.

If I'm not mistaken, the european equivalent of your projector is the EH-TW3600. Here's an explosion diagram of it: https://www.gedat-spareparts.com/ex/eh_tw3200_3600.pdf

I have a TW3600 with a faulty ballast, and next week I hope to receive another TW3600 from which I will take the ballast. I can make a video of the process for you. I'm not saying that a ballast from a TW3600 is compatible with yours (I don't know that), but the video should give you a very good idea of how to replace it.

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
... 1) You have tried 2 new lamps each with its own housing, and both are dim? It's unlikely that the cause is the housing or the lamp, even if both were second-hand. ...
The OP said he only paid $20 each for the cheap replacement lamps. $20 replacement lamps are typically junk and are virtually guaranteed to be dimmer than genuine replacement lamps.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The OP said he only paid $20 each for the cheap replacement lamps. $20 replacement lamps are typically junk and are virtually guaranteed to be dimmer than genuine replacement lamps.
Maybe I'm being too optimistic, as I have no idea what kind of market he bought his lamps at.

Still, there's point nº 3 of my reply if he decides to try new lamps between $40 and $80, before he tries anything with the ballast.

Now that you got me thinking, I suppose a faulty ballast would be likely to produce some kind of electrical noise and cause the light to be unstable rather than dim, but here it's even more of a guess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A few clarifications:

1) You have tried 2 new lamps each with its own housing, and both are dim? It's unlikely that the cause is the housing or the lamp, even if both were second-hand.

2) This was after the previous bulb exploded?

3) Did you throw away the housing in which the bulb exploded? Having shards of glass inside isn't a problem unless the housing is broken too. If it isn't broken, it can be cleaned up and you can replace the bulb. I've done it myself after a bulb exploded, and it's not very difficult, although it requires some skill. I've never bought expensive, seller recommended, bulbs. In fact, mine came directly from cheap chinese sellers, and they work like a charm. Although I admit their lumen output isn't as high as the original E-TORL models from Epson. Anyway, the point is that there are other lamps compatible with your projector. If you want there are plenty of sellers on eBay from whom you can buy new such lamps including housing for a lot less than the official sellers, and those should work too.

4) If the problem is the lamp ballast (that big metal block with round holes behind the lamp), it costs around $160. Usually, it is easier to get a used projector with a good ballast to take that and/or other parts from. The way that projector is built it is relatively easy to replace parts, because whole parts can be removed as if they were modules.

5) If the projector still has a good image (without colour spots or lines and such), then I don't think you should buy a new one.

If I'm not mistaken, the european equivalent of your projector is the EH-TW3600. Here's an explosion diagram of it: https://www.gedat-spareparts.com/ex/eh_tw3200_3600.pdf

I have a TW3600 with a faulty ballast, and next week I hope to receive another TW3600 from which I will take the ballast. I can make a video of the process for you. I'm not saying that a ballast from a TW3600 is compatible with yours (I don't know that), but the video should give you a very good idea of how to replace it.
1. yes both were dim (same brand though)
2. yes
3. Threw the original housing away
5. Image is great, lamps were extremely dim.
would love to see a video
I may try to get my hands on a genuine Epson lamp and try.
After that who knows.
Epson suggests taking it to a service center and having them put a legit bulb in it to see if it works.
I do not have a service center near me.

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
Of course the issue with buying a genuine replacement lamp for an older Epson projector is that Epson's older genuine replacement lamps are much more expensive than newer ones. For example the 8350 was essentially replaced in the Epson lineup with the 3100/3700. Whereas Epson sells genuine 8350 replacement lamps for $299 they sell 3100/3700 genuine replacement lamps for just $99. Non-genuine replacement lamps are more of a gamble. Some work and some don't.

Since LCD panels and polarizers are known to degrade and start failing with age some might consider paying $299 for a genuine replacement lamp for a 6- or 7-year-old LCD projector to be a questionable investment. For example Epson is selling factory refurbished 3100s for $799 including a new or nearly new lamp. That would give you an almost new projector and lamp for $500 more than the cost of an 8350 genuine replacement lamp. Everyone in this situation should do the math and see what works best for them. :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Of course the issue with buying a genuine replacement lamp for an older Epson projector is that Epson's older genuine replacement lamps are much more expensive than newer ones. For example the 8350 was essentially replaced in the Epson lineup with the 3100/3700. Whereas Epson sells genuine 8350 replacement lamps for $299 they sell 3100/3700 genuine replacement lamps for just $99. Non-genuine replacement lamps are more of a gamble. Some work and some don't.

Since LCD panels and polarizers are known to degrade and start failing with age some might consider paying $299 for a genuine replacement lamp for a 6- or 7-year-old LCD projector to be a questionable investment. For example Epson is selling factory refurbished 3100s for $799 including a new or nearly new lamp. That would give you an almost new projector and lamp for $500 more than the cost of an 8350 genuine replacement lamp. Everyone in this situation should do the math and see what works best for them. :)
Do you have any experience with such refurbished models you can tell us about? I'm curious. Thank you.

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
Do you have any experience with such refurbished models you can tell us about? I'm curious. Thank you.
I do not personally but I've read many posts on this forum where most were completely satisfied with Epson factory refurbs. Many got refurbished projectors with just a few hours on them. The only issue I've seen with factory refurbs is that with older models some have gotten refurbs with a couple of thousand hours on them, though they all came with new lamps or low-hour lamps. That would likely not be an issue with a 3100 as Epson just introduced that model 1 year ago, so most refurbs should have low hours.

With a 3100 refurb you can save about $300 over the price of a new 3100 when it's on sale. And if you get a factory refurb with any issues Epson will exchange it for another refurb. You can check the 3100/3700 threads for more info. The 3100 and 3700 are basically the same but the 3700 is brighter. However, the 3100 is already much brighter than your 8350. The 3700 is mainly for people who want to view with a lot of ambient light in the room.

Here's a link to the 3100 refurb:

epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home-Entertainment/Home-Cinema-3100-Full-HD-1080p-3LCD-Projector---Refurbished/p/V11H800020-N

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I do not personally but I've read many posts on this forum where most were completely satisfied with Epson factory refurbs. Many got refurbished projectors with just a few hours on them. The only issue I've seen with factory refurbs is that with older models some have gotten refurbs with a couple of thousand hours on them, though they all came with new lamps or low-hour lamps. That would likely not be an issue with a 3100 as Epson just introduced that model 1 year ago, so most refurbs should have low hours.

With a 3100 refurb you can save about $300 over the price of a new 3100 when it's on sale. And if you get a factory refurb with any issues Epson will exchange it for another refurb. You can check the 3100/3700 threads for more info. The 3100 and 3700 are basically the same but the 3700 is brighter. However, the 3100 is already much brighter than your 8350. The 3700 is mainly for people who want to view with a lot of ambient light in the room.

Here's a link to the 3100 refurb:

epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home-Entertainment/Home-Cinema-3100-Full-HD-1080p-3LCD-Projector---Refurbished/p/V11H800020-N
Thank you for the info

I'm still trying to figure out if there's the same kind of web page for Epson Europe, but it doesn't look like there is.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Its definitely luck of the draw when you purchase an Epson refurb in regards to how much it was used previously.....of the 3 I own, one had 10 hours (HC1080), another about 100 hours (HC1080) and my last one had 4000 hours (5020ub).

At least with Epson you can pull up the After Service Menu to find this information out.

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
... my last one had 4000 hours (5020ub) ...
The 5020UB went out of production in March 2014 and Epson is still selling refurbs more than 3 years later. That's what I meant when I said you're more likely to get a refurb with more hours if it's an older, out-of=production model and more likely to get one with fewer hours if it's only been on sale for a year or less.

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
Thank you for the info

I'm still trying to figure out if there's the same kind of web page for Epson Europe, but it doesn't look like there is.
I didn't know you were in Europe. I don't know how refurbished projectors are handled outside of the US and Canada. They may only sell them through dealers instead of direct from Epson.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I didn't know you were in Europe. I don't know how refurbished projectors are handled outside of the US and Canada. They may only sell them through dealers instead of direct from Epson.
Well, I did find the page for Epson Europe's clearance center, but it had just a few printers. I suppose there's a lot more of those refurbished units in the US. Anway, I was just curious, I'm not going to buy anything.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.