AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am configuring a client-server setup, anticipating that this architecturally is the best way to go, as well as helps ensure more "future" proofness.

Am debating two cases for the server:

Ahanix Landrover - Roughly $80
http://www.ahanix.com/landrover.html

Antec Sonata - Rougly $100
http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details...p?ProdID=15138

The Landrover has more expansion for harddrives, as well as can accomodate a lot of case sizes (I'm hoping future MBs will fit). Plus, access is easy.

Only con I see with the Landrover is no front USB/firewire, possibly more fan noise, and size.

However, the future proofness and expansion (think 2+ terrabyte server for everything in the home!) make me lean towards the Landrover.

Any suggestions/opinions/experience? This case will go into a closet or hidden in a corner of the home.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I know it's off topic, but I swore by the title that this was a post asking for a decision between a Land Rover SUV and a Hyundia Sonata.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know about the Ahanix Landrover, but I do have a Sonata and it was a great case for my HTPC. But when I decided to use it for My Media Server I kept trying to find ways to put internal SATA drives outside of the case It just doesn't have the drive bays I Need now and in the future. So I had to go with something a lot bigger. for my media server also I was worried that the Power Supply would not be big enough in the Sonata, for a bunch of drives.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SUV anyone? Haha.

Questions re: your Sonata:

- How much space and content do you have?

Reason being is that it seems the Sonata can hold between 5-6 drives. At 250MB each, we're looking at 1.25 to 1.5 TB. Maybe more.

That has to be enough space and is future proof (for the next several years at least); especially with drive space increasing.

- When you have enough drives in your Sonata, how is the cooling/fan noise?

The LandRover is 21 inches in depth. I measured the closet, and the case would fit. However, it would likely fail the wife test since it would share space with the vacuum cleaner. :rolleyes:

May just get the Sonata......

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
The Sonata is a workstation case, the Landrover is a server case. Buy the one based on your application. I've used both, here are my thoughts:

Landrover:

- best cooling

- noisy

- more drive bays

- fits any size MB

- PS usually not included

- no front panel controls (but you can add this in a drive bay slot)

Sonata:

- front panel controls

- good PS included

- fan is quiet

- case is easy to work with (although SATA connections are a tight squeeze since the HDDs sit sideways).

- May not fit the largest server boards.

- If you are going to use >2 HDDs get a 2nd 120mm fan for the case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.