Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen Lantana yet?

Yet another dvd I picked up over the weekend based upon some very strong reviews. I certainly enjoyed the story, although it was not what I expected.

The film includes very good performances from Anthony LaPaglia, Geoffrey Rush and Barbara Hershey (who looks no where near like a woman in her mid-fifties).

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts!

Howie

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
What's it about I can't go to any movie theatres to see trailers, I have to rely on what I find on the internet. I never heard of it I like Barbara Hershey. The movie "Last of the Dogmen" featured her and Tom Beringer. :)

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Saw it in the theater. Good film, but very foreign in its storytelling. Much sexual frustration, which in itself is frustrating to American audiences, who are trained to expect monogamy and happily-ever-after. And I believe it was a play?

Anyway, a good, compelling film, though it's not one I believe I would want to watch repeatedly and own. And yes, the years have been quite kind to Barbara. Anybody remember Last Summer, one of her earliest films? A dark, dark vision of love and desire among teenagers.

I believe I recall Steve Martin saying that they went to the same high school in Southern California and that he had a tremendous crush on her.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My wife and I watched it this weekend and we thought it a terrific movie. It was advertised quite a bit on HDNET when it was making its rounds in the theaters.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Hob,

Lantana is a drama set in Australia and is based on a stage play written by Andrew Bovell. As with any good stage production, the strength of the story is with the characters...and in this instance how their lives are all intertwined.

The film opens with the body of a woman that appears to have been murdered and left in the woods. Anthony Lapaglia is the police detective who investigates the murder.

There is not a lot of action in the film, and the story centers around the detectives' marital problems. The cast is made up of entirely Australian actors with the exception of Barbara Hershey who plays a pychiatrist.

H

·
Registered
309 Posts
I saw it this last weekend and it was one of the better DVD's I rented. I liked the twists and turns and the fact that it all came together so you weren't left scratching your head after it was over. I liked the fact that I was wrong! in my assumptions. Even though it seems to move a little slow at times, it is worth a rental then you can decide from there if you want to own it.

peace out-

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi,

excellent movie, very strong acting esp. by LaPaglia but also by the rest of the cast. If you like Drama with complex psychological background, this one is for you ....

Regards

Christoph

·
Registered
704 Posts
I just watched this over the weekend - really a great film, highly recommended. this was an excellent unwinder after a busy sunday of bike riding and beach time - we sort of aimlessly took a trip to the video store and just wanted to watch something GOOD (and also make a bit of an escape to a slightly more comfortable/controlled climate) most of the stuff that I have seen recently has been just acceptable - only slightly better than watching something broadcast. this movie was different - it had a definite affect of attraction, not only to the story itself but also to the cast of characters (most impressive performances).

I am sort of surprised that none of the above posts commented on the pq/cinematography - I thought that the video was well above average, especially for a scope presentation. I thought that the color depth of the picture approached (my) reference level - this dvd really has a good portion of that ever elusive punch. Reds were red, yellows yellow - that most spooky patch of flowers was very cool looking. I also thought that that the shadow detail was also impressive - even on a digital projector. a decent amount of the film was at or around night/dark time, the picture really held together - overall a very film-like presentation. I also enjoyed how the picture was structured visually - there were a number of scenes where shadow/black was used to frame within in the frame - to draw attention to a character or other important object - this was then usually contrasted immediately with a full frame shot; this made the scope presentation even more impressive than usual. sort of wish that everything was shot this *big*. the only somewhat negative thing was I did notice some stairstepping/line twitter at the start of the movie, ended up turning ForceWeave on which seemed to make a noticeable improvement - perhaps there could be some flag issues here?

there were a number of things that I enjoyed about the story. there really were not a lot of specific right and wrongs here - everything was presented as a shade of gray, fairly accurate of how real world decisions are made. was it right for lapaglia to cheat? big picture no, but apparently it was right enough at the time, according to his mind. what it right for him to take confidential evidence? no - but big picture it sure was - not only for the investigation but also for his personal need. no easy choices here. the fact that each character was called upon multiple time to make a choice, to decide what they *should* do was what made this film so good. because there was no black and white, there was an overall uncertainty on what was going to happen - and who it was going to happen to. it was also great to see such a realistic contrast of relationship - happy vs. pretend happy vs. unhappy enough to decide to do something about it. and then having to live with the decision. I did think that it could have ended about 5 minutes earlier - in the car after the kicker. the real ending seemed somewhat tacked on - I really did not need to get everything tied up so neatly together, but not complaining. that last interaction between lapaglia and kerry armstrong (great job as well) was worth it.

anyway, I think that this one is a keeper. really good content and a very good presentation. if you are looking for something that looks good on the system and something that people might have not seen before - definitely check this one out. very nice.

-jeff

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Excellent film.

Saw it last year at it's openning the Telluride Film Festival.

Well received and much talked about.

However, wait for 'Amelie' to be released this month (July 16).

It was the best film at Telluride (along with 'Italian for Beginners').

The best film at Cannes that wasn't actually at Cannes.

A must see!!!

It is one of the best films I've seen in years. Very uplifting and cleverly filmed.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Just watched it last night, I bought it because G Rush was in it, I figure if he's in it, it's gotta be pretty good.

Enjoyed it very much, good story telling, excellent acting.

The interesting thing about this story is that all the major characters are at a crossroads, and thinking of heading in a different direction...all very bored.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.