AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many of you use a laptop as a dockable HTPC. It would be very simple to implement with a port replicator and a nice desktop replacement. I have an inspiron 8200 I am using for this. I am having a hard time getting powerstrip to keep the scan rate the same when I change the refresh rate. What am I missing? I am outputting to a 56" Panny HDTV. The s-video obviously does not impress me. This maybe a newbie question, but I am a week into tinkering with it and thought I would ask what systems you guys have and what worked for you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey zxlr8,

I was just about to implement the same thing in my Home Theater. Using a laptop as my HTPC. My questions for you are as follows:

1- What type of Video Card does your Inspiron 8200 have (32 MB or 64MB)? I am looking at getting this model and wanted to know what type of video card I needed in the laptop to custom the Advanced Timing Settings in Powerstrip,

2-Does Powerstrip let you alter the ADVANCED TIMING settings of the card?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Gregg

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
32 mb and yes powerstrip is all you need.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am thinking about doing the same thing with a Radeon 9000 (M9) equipped laptop.

What I wonder though is if there are any really good PCMCIA video capture cards out there for use with DScaler? I have seen some but do not know how they fair in terms of PQ, noise, rez etc and USB solutions do not seem to have the bandwith enough. The perfect solution would have YUV and RGB inputs via a dongle.

On the audio side, the Digigram sound cards look interesting:

http://www.digigram.com/products/get...?prod_key=9000
http://www.digigram.com/products/get...?prod_key=8600

Wonder if they can output DD/DTS thru S/PDIF...

·
Registered
77 Posts
"The s-video obviously does not impress me"

Does this mean you are using the S-video out? If so, you should definately get a VGA to component transcoder to use with your HDTV.

·
Registered
697 Posts
What I wonder though is if there are any really good PCMCIA video capture cards out there for use with DScaler

=================================

could you use

fire wire pcmcia\\digital cam\\video source

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am obviously using a transcoder. It is an RCA vhcd300. I am still trying to get the powerstrip to let me totally customize. Do I have to buy it?The results are similar to the guy up above. I am very impressed with the sound quality through the spdif dongle that comes with the laptop. It has been said if you are transfering via the spdif, there is no point using a higher quality sound card. Bits are bits. I think it sounds great with my 7.1 channel system. I am still waiting for someone with more knowledge to help me out(KARNIS, please) so I can pass along the findings. The max res on the video is 1600x1200 at 75 hz. I am wondering if this causing me to have trouble customizing my timings......hmmmmmmm. Help!!!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and yes it passes Dolby Digital and DTS through the stock spdif with no problems.

The firewire could be used as a way to introduce video to the system and then buy any sofware that captures it at an optimal resolution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.