AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty straight-forward here: I would like to utilize one of those laptop fan-"pads" to ice down my Onkyo 805. Problem is, they (rightfully so) all seem to only operate off a usb.

Is anyone familiar with a unit (fan pad) that also accepts 120v, or a device that "converts" usb to 120?

I thought this was somewhat of an ingenious solution until I encountered the usb hurdle. Frankly, I think the small "rack" fans are ridiculously over-priced and of course require at least some installation/fabrication (not to mention many of them have poor protection for wires, cables etc). I figured the lap-top option could easily do at least as good of a job as them anyways, as my onkyo has both ample top and bottom ventilation.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
380 Posts
You might consider this .

You could still use the laptop cooler, but you are going to need to do a little rewiring as the USB power will be 5 volt DC. You could easily purchase a 5v DC power supply, wire it into the laptop cooler, and then plug the power supply into the aux accessory outlet on the back of your receiver.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after a quick search on ebay, it appears that there are converters readily available that will allow you to plug a usb right into them and use 120. Obviously I'll just plug it into the switched outlet on the 805 and I should be set.

thanks,

James

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celo /forum/post/21708344

Would this work if I put it on top of my receiver which will be in in a closet like TV unit? It will be totally closed.

It will just end up recirculating the hot air trapped inside your TV unit. Unless it can draw in cool air through the bottom or sides of the receiver it's not going to help much.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge /forum/post/21709199

It will just end up recirculating the hot air trapped inside your TV unit. Unless it can draw in cool air through the bottom or sides of the receiver it's not going to help much.

I just want to know. Why do you say that? So, why are they being used to cool laptops? I probably will end up putting two 80mm desktop fans in there but why are people using these to cool down their laptops?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celo /forum/post/21719036

I just want to know. Why do you say that? So, why are they being used to cool laptops? I probably will end up putting two 80mm desktop fans in there but why are people using these to cool down their laptops?

Laptops aren't typically used in small confined spaces like your TV unit.

Using 80mm computer fans won't help much either if they're not able to draw in cool air from the room. Hot air is much less effective at cooling electronics than room temperature air.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge /forum/post/21719182

Laptops aren't typically used in small confined spaces like your TV unit.

Using 80mm computer fans won't help much either if they're not able to draw in cool air from the room. Hot air is much less effective at cooling electronics than room temperature air.

Thanks Ross. So, what do you suggest I do. I have two smallish holes in the back and I wish they were bigger. The receiver gets pretty warm in there.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celo /forum/post/21719303

Thanks Ross. So, what do you suggest I do. I have two smallish holes in the back and I wish they were bigger. The receiver gets pretty warm in there.

There may not be any solution that you would find acceptable. Just keeping the doors open (more then just a crack) while you're using it can help a lot, but a lot of people don't think that's very practical.

·
Registered
605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celo /forum/post/21719303

Can you make the holes on the back of your unit bigger? If the receiver is on the top shelf, You can make some neat/clean round holes with a drill and some holes saws. I have some that are as big as 8" round.

Makes some new holes or the existing holes bigger and then you can draw cool air in and warm air out with PC or laptop fan placed accordingly. Easy Peasy

·
Registered
64 Posts
This was my fault. I had it made. I thought they were going to drill a hole when they deliver the unit. They already opened the holes. It is also not too high so it cannot be too much bigger but would help definetly. I guess I will need to open two more holes at the back.

·
Registered
605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celo /forum/post/21721239

This was my fault. I had it made. I thought they were going to drill a hole when they deliver the unit. They already opened the holes. It is also not too high so it cannot be too much bigger but would help definetly. I guess I will need to open two more holes at the back.

I'd get two fans (PC fans-better ones with ball bearings from newegg.com are almost silent) and get the control unit that allows you to plug in multiple fans into a little control box/converter. Then plug into a switched outlet-hopefully your receiver has one. That way they automatically turn on the receiver. All in should be $20-30.

BTW, place the fans opposite to one another (one pulling air out of the unit and the other pushing outside air into the unit)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I called the maker of the TV unit. I will have them take the plate out in the back (it is screwed in). They will open two rectangular (15" x 4") top and bottom. That should solve the problem

The reason why I don't want to do it because I don't want them to tell me I did something wrong if it is falling apart later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts