AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to buy a used or refurbed laptop for computing and dvd-playback. I would like to spend less than $1,000. Any suggestions what kind or where to buy? Have been looking on u-bid. Thanks

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi James:

___About the only thing I can suggest is that you look for either a GeForce2 Go or the latest ATI Radeon Mobility based video chipsets and an S/PDIF output for DVD playback. I have read of a future ATI Radeon 7500 based video chipset for laptops but they probably will not be out for quite some time. Even with the two video chipset configurations listed above, under a $1,000.00 is probably impossible currently but you never know what you will run into on E-Bay or at a show …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to watch the dvd,s on the laptop lcd screen. can't I do this with any laptop with a dvd drive? thanks.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi James:

___Sorry, I did not know that is what you were going to use the Laptop for. I was thinking along the lines of using it as an HTPC substitute via an RGB output as well as S/PDIF. I have seen DVD’s on a Gateway Solo w/ an 800 MHz PIII and the Rage Pro chipset. I was not overly impressed with either its fluidity nor the its PQ to the large 15.9� LCD screen. It was the biggest screen available when a friend of mine purchased it ~ 6 months ago. I stripped the non-essential garbage out of it (this thing was loaded with $#%!) as well as installed the latest versions of PowerDVD/WinDVD and new video chipset drivers but it really did not help much. I would not look forward to the prospect of seeing another DVD on it but if you were a traveling type with a portable HD FP, it might suffice rather nicely I would expect with a reasonably high performance CPU. Just don’t expect DT type performance and quality as the LCD on his laptop is not nearly as good as a std. DT PC monitor we all seem to stare at for hours on end nor a HD display of any type you happen to use.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
James, xcel is right. However if your goal is have a portable laptop with DVD playback built in, check www.pricewatch.com for a laptop with the 2 chipsets xcel talked about. And get one with at least an 800 Mhz chip. There are no name companies you can get this from, but be sure to ask about warranty and tech support.

Paul Seng

Seng Home Theater LLC

MCSE + I

CNE

A+

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.