AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm having the good old issue of a windows 10 laptop connected to the HDMI 3 of a Sony KDL-70R550A with a Sonos Beam connected to the HDMI 1(ARC) where the laptop only see's Stereo 2.0 thus cannot pass any 5.1 DD signal to the tv/arc.

I realize there are EDID override software one can use to create a new INF file for the Monitor driver, but when I do this I do get 5.1 sound option, but the DD is not passed through and the speaker still reports getting a 2.0 signal. Also, the speaker config test only plays from the right and left speaker and not the center or rear left/right.

Does anyone perhaps have tips for getting true 5.1 DD through a windows 10 laptop via ARC?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Many TVs that era would only pass 2 channel out via ARC. Why not use hdmi input on the Sonos?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many TVs that era would only pass 2 channel out via ARC. Why not use hdmi input on the Sonos?

Thanks for the reply,
It's actually the laptop that is the issue here. The laptop's integrated graphics HDMI uses the EDID of the TV which reports 2.0 stereo to the system therefore only allowing 2.0 to be chosen in the HDMI audio output settings of windows 10. The TV itself can pass through DD 5.1.

As for using the HDMI direct, I need an output to the TV as well which the beam only has one HDMI in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are you able to pass through 5.1 with other external devices. Several of my TVs will output 5.1 via ARC for internal streaming apps, but not external devices.
If so, try a different video driver. I used a small htpc for a while that current drivers would only pass limited audio formats but one specific older driver would pass all formats. I also had trouble with losing settings when connection was "broken" by either TV or computer powering off (even with cable staying connected)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so blu ray to HDMI 3 passes DD 5.1 via SPDIF and HDMI 1 ARC. No problems. Sounds way better too. So the issue is indeed EDID and the windows 10 laptop.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I kinda figured it out. I reinstalled Media player classic and setup my sound renderer's again and voilla. 5.1 DD coming through! I still don't get sound through my center and rear speakers via the windows sound test but oh well I think the DD signal overrides this anyhow on DD tracks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's great. Sounds like within MPC it's bitstreaming. You should be able to change setting in sound devices tk get 5.1 within windows.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hello everyone!

I'm having the good old issue of a windows 10 laptop connected to the HDMI 3 of a Sony KDL-70R550A with a Sonos Beam connected to the HDMI 1(ARC) where the laptop only see's Stereo 2.0 thus cannot pass any 5.1 DD signal to the tv/arc.

I realize there are EDID override software one can use to create a new INF file for the Monitor driver, but when I do this I do get 5.1 sound option, but the DD is not passed through and the speaker still reports getting a 2.0 signal. Also, the speaker config test only plays from the right and left speaker and not the center or rear left/right.

Does anyone perhaps have tips for getting true 5.1 DD through a windows 10 laptop via ARC?
I do something similar. HTPC to receiver for audio and TV for video

The major difference here is you don't have enough outputs.

Most obvious way I can think of is just give up on arc and run separate outs one to the sound bar one to the TV. Not sure about the dongles/active splitter required to do that. But that would be the most obvious path if you want to remain on HDMI. Windows might not make it easy to run audio to the sound bar but it works just fine on my receiver in windows 7 no arc. Only real downside is windows thinks my reciever is a TV so I have a "virtual" display being driven by my card.

Other obvious path is use your network and rely on plex or something for video and audio. Use your TV's OS or whatever for plex

edit - rip you already did all this, shoulda finished reading the thread

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, still some limitations. When setting 5.1 on the windows laptop,
I do something similar. HTPC to receiver for audio and TV for video

The major difference here is you don't have enough outputs.

Most obvious way I can think of is just give up on arc and run separate outs one to the sound bar one to the TV. Not sure about the dongles/active splitter required to do that. But that would be the most obvious path if you want to remain on HDMI. Windows might not make it easy to run audio to the sound bar but it works just fine on my receiver in windows 7 no arc. Only real downside is windows thinks my reciever is a TV so I have a "virtual" display being driven by my card.

Other obvious path is use your network and rely on plex or something for video and audio. Use your TV's OS or whatever for plex

edit - rip you already did all this, shoulda finished reading the thread
No, thank you for your reply. If I may, I found this which may help you..

·
Registered
402 Posts
So, still some limitations. When setting 5.1 on the windows laptop,

No, thank you for your reply. If I may, I found this which may help you..

It should be recognizing your reciever as a TV via hdmi. Probably a way to force it in windows just complicated

1 - 12 of 12 Posts