AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a hp lapop 4gig ram pentium dual core cpu 2.0ghz. hdmi output [ capable f running the pc in 1080p resolution .mkv files] the graphics chip is a intel 4500MHD.

it plays 720p content perfectly but if i put 1080p content to play it slows down and freezes up.

i have win7 ultimate as my OS

i was wondering if i could get myself a diffrent os [ only care of using the laptop as a media pc] something like what wdtv HD uses, or maybee windows media center .......

wondering if i could get the laptop to play 1080p .mkv content with a lighter OS .?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Your wording is a bit confusing. Do you mean that you can play 1080p MKV files fine, but other (flash?) 1080p content stutters, or do you mean that no 1080p content plays properly? Exactly which processor is your laptop using? What software are you using for playback?

·
Registered
435 Posts
You might be locking up due to the GPU not being able to handle the higher resolution of 1080p vs 720p...

·
Registered
340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by towncarblue /forum/post/18256041

i have win7 ultimate as my OS

i was wondering if i could get myself a diffrent os [ only care of using the laptop as a media pc] something like what wdtv HD uses, or maybee windows media center .......

Windows 7 includes Windows Media Center.

Mike

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The Intel 4500MHD is the mobile version of X4500 HD. It is capable of full hardware H.264 and MPEG-2 decoding. I would say try a different player. It could also be the content is poorly encoded.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
720p files play fine , 1080p files do not play fine [ the audio plays but the video starts to mess up]. I use vlc media player to play my files.

i dont like to use WMC because the video quality does not look as good as vlc media player.

i was thinking that the OS is causing too much strain on the laptop.

i recently got my hands on some 720p encoded .mkv files and they play flawlessly. the problem only happens when i play 1080p content.

post some suggestions of other media players that play as good as vlc

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by towncarblue /forum/post/18257859

720p files play fine , 1080p files do not play fine [ the audio plays but the video starts to mess up]. I use vlc media player to play my files.

i dont like to use WMC because the video quality does not look as good as vlc media player.

i was thinking that the OS is causing too much strain on the laptop.

i recently got my hands on some 720p encoded .mkv files and they play flawlessly. the problem only happens when i play 1080p content.

post some suggestions of other media players that play as good as vlc

get haali and try to play the file in media center, see if microsoft codecs are better than vlc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i tried that [haali install then view play files in WMC]. there was a loss in quality when played in WMC but they work fine when played in VLC { the 720p files }

1 - 8 of 8 Posts