AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Windstar with Autovision (VCR/LCD Screen). It has RCA (L/R?Vid) inputs on the rear, for hooking up game-sets, etc...

I have a laptop with a DVD player...that I would like to hook up...

Its for the kids, so I don't mind loosing a little video quality....

Does anyone make a Monitor-out to RCA adapter/modulator that would work...or do I go out and buy one of those cheap $60 DVD players for the car...

Thanx

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does the laptop have S-Video out? Radio Shack sells a converter for S-Video to RCA and you can pick up a mic jack to RCA L/R there as well... that should do the trick. An RGB to RCA is going to be harder to find, at least I haven't seen any in my travels.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the Computer has no outputs, other than for an external Monitor...

Does anyone know of PCMCIA adapters that can help?

Its probably cheaper to buy a $60 DVD player, and convert 12V to 120V

·
Registered
919 Posts
We have a Sony Vaio notebook with DVD-ROM drive and play DVDs in our car for our kids. I have a 12V to 120V adapter/converter so I don't have to run off of batteries. The kids watch the notebook's display, which I think might be a lot better than what you are exploring. For sound, I connect the notebook's audio out (in this case it's the headphone jack) to a Sony audio cassette adapter and listen over the car's speaker system.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Since I am not sure of the forum rules anymore so I will not give you links. But here are some that I came across in 15 minutes of searching in IE. They all seem to run between $90 and $120

Papyrus Computer Technologies Ltd.

AVerKey iMicro PC/Mac-To-TV Scan Converter

Smarthome VGA to TV Converter

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would have to say, use the laptop as a display and output the audio to the factory headunit via cassette adapter or use a splitter and headphones, or powered speakers..

The head phone option may be less disruptive for the driver and you could still listen to radio or other programming on the factory deck.

Most converters for less than a couple hundread do a really bad job. and i bet the laptop has a bigger screen to.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you end up using the Laptop Display instead of the In-Car LCD, you can find special Laptop Tables meant for Cars (usually meant for front passenger so the driver can use the laptop from the drivers seat) that you could mount between the front seats or right behind the arm-rest console if you have one.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I've used a laptop for movies in the car, but get complaint of the sunlight washing the picture out during the day. Of course, at night its fine. But I have been wondering if one of those LCD displays designed for the car would be brighter than the laptop display. Anyone have experience with viewing DVDs on the road during the day?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I use a laptop everyday in my job. I rarely watch movies but use GPS extensively. I purchased the Dell 8200 with 15" ultrasharp screen. It is very bright thus better viewing in the daylight. Also has great side angle viewing.

1. You absolutely need and auto/air power adapter. Get one made for your laptop.

2. Jottodesk make a very good laptop mount. I lot of people blow this off. Bad mistake. Consider that if involved in an accident, car stops abruptly via head on or something. That 8 pound laptop is now air-born looking to smack someone upside the head. Imagine the corner of that 8 pound laptop hitting your head at 55mph!!!

3. They make shades the Velcro around the top three side of the LCD screen reducing affects of daylight.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Daylight viewing is a must, and the laptop doesn't cut it...We've tried...

We're going with a small, Under $100 DVD player (one mentioned above)...

Thanx to everyone.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I built a cardboard visor shield that boxed out light so I could watch my laptop in the car. Too bad you don't have a Toshiba Tecra 8100 like I do, it has NTSC output.

I've used the averkey RGB to NTSC, it was very big from what I recalled. A lot of work.

I now have a $300 Walmart DVD--good for the plane, train, auto....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.